Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 Nov 2017, 10:44 (Ref:3780945)   #1
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FIA WTCR 2018: WTCC / TCR Merger?

According to the Dutch edition of Motorsport.com the WTCC/TCR merger is pretty much a done deal:

https://nl.motorsport.com/wtcc/news/...e-2018-979676/

Short summary:
  • Merger at hand for 2018 already
  • Negotiations in the final stage
  • Class 1 regulations proposed, but no support from both factory and private teams
  • Both championships running TCR regulations next to each other would be bad for both
  • Championship would lose its 'FIA World Championship' status and would become a 'FIA World Cup'.
  • No more factory teams, privateer teams only (similar to GT3)
  • Both WTCC and TCR Int. refuse to release statements about the matter, but a deal is expected in several weeks.

My opinion: great for both series, and it proves Lotti was right after all
Old 17 Nov 2017, 11:49 (Ref:3780955)   #2
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So WTCR will be the only international touring car competition? It will be based on a TCR calendar?
Old 17 Nov 2017, 12:04 (Ref:3780958)   #3
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Sounds a good idea to me, much better to adopt the TCR rukes than have a small grid of class TC1 cars. Much better economy of scale as cars can be invested in and raced in a wide range of championships around the World.

As for the spectacle, TV views and circuit spectators want big grids of cars they can identify with, the lap time and performance relative to TC1 cars won't be noticeable IMO.
Old 17 Nov 2017, 12:19 (Ref:3780960)   #4
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope this is a sensible merger and not TCR international running the WTCC calendar

Don't want to see Morocco back, or Villa Real. Or Argentina, or Qatar

Let's have a well supported, big grid, using decent worldwide circuits.

Monza, Spa, Zhejiang, Hungaroring, Brands Hatch? Maybe even a US Race now there is TCR cars over there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 Nov 2017, 12:32 (Ref:3780964)   #5
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
I hope this is a sensible merger and not TCR international running the WTCC calendar

Monza, Spa, Zhejiang, Hungaroring, Brands Hatch? Maybe even a US Race now there is TCR cars over there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I absolutely agree with that

But i think it's more the WTCC that will merge in the TCR Int. honestly if I understand correctly
Old 17 Nov 2017, 12:35 (Ref:3780965)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
WTCC can’t swim against the tide anymore, it had to go with the majority and that is TCR. Hopefully the series can improve again now
Old 17 Nov 2017, 12:54 (Ref:3780972)   #7
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
WTCC can’t swim against the tide anymore, it had to go with the majority and that is TCR. Hopefully the series can improve again now
It's a different series.
Old 17 Nov 2017, 13:04 (Ref:3780975)   #8
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Hopefully the action will rise up to the standards of TCR, and not drop to the snoozefest standards that WTCC has been for a long time.
Old 17 Nov 2017, 13:38 (Ref:3780984)   #9
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post

They should keep going to Argentina, if possible. It's nice to have the country on an international calendar and I like the circuit.

Zhejiang is a terrible track, so no thanks.

This should be a good solution to the divided international scene. If this year's main TCR entrants stay on and are joined by the WTCC privateers, that'll be a good field.
Old 17 Nov 2017, 13:50 (Ref:3780988)   #10
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Good PR spin here. Is it really a merger?

A cynic might say that it is the WTCC being canned and International TCR being given FIA status. although I guess that depends on who ends up running the show.
Old 17 Nov 2017, 14:32 (Ref:3780999)   #11
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
But who will promote the new championship, Eurosport or Lotti's WSC?
Old 17 Nov 2017, 18:22 (Ref:3781068)   #12
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For now it seems a good idea and good solution but still there are so many unknows that a lot can change until we will see a finished product.
As far as I know, it will be promoted by Eurosport which is good but I'd rather see TCR calendar instead of WTCC.
For me a bit of a shame that there won't be any manufacturers however I know why is it so. But the greatest solution will be to have factory-supported teams like in BTCC for example. We know that Hyundai for example was involved in i30 TCR.
Old 17 Nov 2017, 19:09 (Ref:3781075)   #13
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post

A cynic might say that it is the WTCC being canned and International TCR being given FIA status. although I guess that depends on who ends up running the show.
There's a good reason why TouringCars.Net haven't referred to it as a merger - our journalist Damian Meaden is in the paddock and the way things are being described is more of a realignment.

Eurosport get to keep acting as promoter for a global touring car series, WSC let their IP be used under licence and a watchful eye, with the regional series protected, and the FIA get to keep the top of the touring car pyramid intact, in a way.

These things are still being finalised and no one will make an official comment at present.
Old 17 Nov 2017, 19:55 (Ref:3781090)   #14
Metzo
Racer

Germany
Berlin
Metzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i wonder what will happen with the TC1 cars if the merger happens. doubt any of the teams who own the cars will be able to sell them. should they add TC1 class to ETCC? or just let them disappear?
Old 17 Nov 2017, 20:14 (Ref:3781094)   #15
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They'll find their way to Museums to remember our children to never make such mistakes again
Old 17 Nov 2017, 20:27 (Ref:3781098)   #16
Metzo
Racer

Germany
Berlin
Metzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i thought they said the same after original class 1 regulations.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 00:04 (Ref:3781140)   #17
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Can't agree more. Seems a journo will fly back home in first class!

Would you pay $1 to see a picture of Ribeiro and Lotti together signing that agreement? I'd!
Old 19 Nov 2017, 14:07 (Ref:3781490)   #18
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
WTCC drivers comment possible TCR/WTCC merger
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2017...crwtcc-merger/
Old 20 Nov 2017, 05:01 (Ref:3781607)   #19
Fechna
Racer

Germany
Germany
Fechna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The move to TCR is great, but it would be a shame if WTCC gets downgraded to a World Cup... TCR would shine even more with manufacturer backed teams like BTCC.

And from a branding standpoint a privareer world cup just dosent sell.
Old 20 Nov 2017, 09:12 (Ref:3781628)   #20
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst it's a bummer if there'll be no official manufacturer teams, I imagine (much like GT3) there'll be manufacturer backed/supported/approved (however you want to call them) teams bringing a high level of professionalism to the series.

For example if JAS run their own team then I'd still expect it to have Castrol backing and some of the Honda 'factory drivers' (much like RJN's GT-R's run under Nissan's lubricant partner Motul's sponsorship and draw from their pool of drivers).

Unless Volvo cobble together a V40 TCR (something they already didn't fancy doing to stay in the STCC), I guess that's them out!
Old 20 Nov 2017, 09:58 (Ref:3781637)   #21
Tarzaan
Racer

Hungary
Tarzaan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the grid will be bigger and the races will be more spectacular, but without factory teams thre will be very few private teams who can pay decent salary to quality drivers.

I still think TCR are designed to national or regional championship.

TC1 rules could work with some minor modifications and a less dumb series management/promoter (big holes in the calendar, race tracks where racing is impossible, tie the hands of Citroens rivals with the stupid joker system, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
Whilst it's a bummer if there'll be no official manufacturer teams, I imagine (much like GT3) there'll be manufacturer backed/supported/approved (however you want to call them) teams bringing a high level of professionalism to the series.

For example if JAS run their own team then I'd still expect it to have Castrol backing and some of the Honda 'factory drivers' (much like RJN's GT-R's run under Nissan's lubricant partner Motul's sponsorship and draw from their pool of drivers).

Unless Volvo cobble together a V40 TCR (something they already didn't fancy doing to stay in the STCC), I guess that's them out!
JAS build the TCR cars, so I doubt they will run a team.

They might run a GT3 team next year (or a Honda/Accura DPi)
Old 20 Nov 2017, 10:26 (Ref:3781645)   #22
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
Volvo has discontinued the V40 this year
Old 20 Nov 2017, 10:41 (Ref:3781649)   #23
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think this is the right move, grids were falling in the WTCC, whereas TCR has always had good grid numbers. So exciting times ahead, hopefully we can have quality and quantity in 2018
Old 20 Nov 2017, 12:09 (Ref:3781666)   #24
RED55
Racer

Sweden
Banbury
RED55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Current WTCC is not sustainable , TCR makes more economic sense and there is no reason why there cannot be works backed teams , the great bonus for TCR is the cars become an Asset for the teams that can be used year on year or sold on for not a lot of depreciation. Once British teams get a hold of the TCR concept even popular BTCC will be harder to sell to drivers. Every car maker has the ability to offer a TCR car , its probably the first time that Global Touring car racing has been able to offer an outlet for a showroom model without homologation specials ,yes it costs money to develop the cars into an end product but it gives the manufacturers an actual revenue stream related to motorsport , the quality of service and support for customer teams will be reflected by the manufacturers commitment and input. the grids should increase and the racing should become more open and related to talent from team and driver rather than massive budgets.even works paid drives may have the possibility to return , giving new talent a target to aspire to, or simply putting in a good even fight to the big boys will be massive reward.
Old 20 Nov 2017, 12:39 (Ref:3781679)   #25
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fechna View Post
The move to TCR is great, but it would be a shame if WTCC gets downgraded to a World Cup... TCR would shine even more with manufacturer backed teams like BTCC.

And from a branding standpoint a privareer world cup just dosent sell.
Exactly.