Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 21 Jul 2003, 15:43 (Ref:667281)   #1
thornton
Rookie

thornton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
camp site british gp

we were promised better facilities at the camp site,the only inprovement was a extra set of showers,what about the marshals at the bottom of the site,miles to walk for a shower,(thats where the majority of marshals ended up,because the asingend pitches were too slopped.)my personel oppinion the camp site should not have been used.and who vetted the camp shop,charging those high prices;i heard a rumour that the shop is getting done for selling illegal cigarettes.has any other marshals got any input about this matter.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 15:58 (Ref:667305)   #2
SJC-214
Racer

SJC-214 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spoke to a number of marshals over the weekend, all of them thought the camp site facilities where an improvement on last year. More showers, hot water and considerably cleaner than last year. As for the shop I have heard the same rumour.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 16:07 (Ref:667315)   #3
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I paid a visit to the marshals camps site.... .....Hole. What an insult - compare BGP marshals treatment to that at Formula Student - bit different.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 16:13 (Ref:667323)   #4
SJC-214
Racer

SJC-214 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
I paid a visit to the marshals camps site.... .....Hole. What an insult - compare BGP marshals treatment to that at Formula Student - bit different.
As I said the marshals I spoke too thought it was an improvement on last year
Old 21 Jul 2003, 18:17 (Ref:667484)   #5
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was my first time at the GP and I can't remember the last time I slept in a tent but I found it ok, I was a bit concerned about the amount of mud on Thursday but after a couple of dry days that was no problem. I didn't have to queue for the showers but did always manage to use them when the gas had run out and they were cold. They were clean as were the toilets. The site was on a slope, and the shop very expensive but on the whole I didn't find the camping experience as bad as I thought it would be.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 19:20 (Ref:667540)   #6
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well I have to say that I thought the toilets were execellent, they were always clean (even at 11 at night)
The showers were brilliant, and apart from the obvious slope I though it was a top class site...

lights blue touchpaper and retires ...
Old 21 Jul 2003, 19:37 (Ref:667561)   #7
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to agree with scorch, it was a big improvement on last your although I do think that some of the showers should have been located at the bottom of the field too.

My only complaints was that the bins weren't emptied oh and the shop prices...but then its GP weekend, all the prices are hiked up!
Old 21 Jul 2003, 20:04 (Ref:667591)   #8
tangotubby
Rookie

tangotubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with scorch. For the first time in 10 plus GPs I was able to have a shower in the morning The site was on a slope but we all knew that from last year, in reply to why no showers down the bottom, there is no drainage down there. Hence the chemical toilets with added water bowsers so you could have a wash. Besides there was enough room up the top end to drive up for a shower.

I think a big thank you is in order for the cleaning staff and security for acting on all problems quickly.

Regards to the cold showers, at 5am it was hard to get gas for the first 2 shower blocks. It was replaced before we got back from post, and on the Saturday night some bright spark turned on all the showers so that the hot water ran on for nearly 2 hours, which was why we had some cold showers on Sunday morning, all was working fine on Sunday evening
Old 21 Jul 2003, 21:01 (Ref:667636)   #9
DarrellB
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
DarrellB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the campsite was far better than last year, even though I did keep sliding off the end of my airbed during the night due to the slope. Security seemed to be doing a better job and the toilets and showers were of a better standard than anytime before. Even the social atmosphere seemed better.

I remenber everyone complaining when they first moved the campsite from the centre and it took some time to settle into the new site.

It still would be good if they eventually return to having a permanent spot for those of us who used to have caravans that were only just towable to a nearby farm for the winter!!
Old 22 Jul 2003, 00:09 (Ref:667783)   #10
Sherman
Racer

Sherman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a great time, all things considered. C'mon complainers, this is camping not a bloomin' hotel! Showers are a luxury, and its only four days. Surely we arent so socially conscious that we cant go half a week without cleaning?! Sometimes i despair at the so called 'human race'!
Old 22 Jul 2003, 00:17 (Ref:667793)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't mind, but my wife objects, and if she's not happy, then I'm not coming either. And why shouldn't we expect reasonable facilities? I don't choose the cheapest hotels, and look at the money swilling round the place all week-end. If some of that can't provide comfortable conditions for the people who can save a life then it's a poor show in my book. And where would the event be without marshals? Spectator dodging I guess.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 07:02 (Ref:667967)   #12
shandy drinker
Rookie

shandy drinker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I know the shop was selling imported cigies as my guest needed some and was told they were £6 so when he saw the packet and the label he said i'll give you £3 or shall we take it further (ie the authorities) to which the shop backed down and charged £3. So I wouldn't be surprised if they are in trouble for selling illegal cigies they deserve all they get.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 07:20 (Ref:667978)   #13
flags
Racer

Wales
aberdare.south wales
flags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I felt we were too packed in,although there were
many empty spaces.The toilets / showers were
kept very clean and well stocked with the necessary.I thanked the cleaners for doing a great job,they were pleased to be appreciated.
Maybe next year we could have a 'level' field to
play in,like the 'car park' in the next one to ours!....byron
Old 22 Jul 2003, 07:59 (Ref:668008)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Watcha people, my first day back at work so catching up on the numerous messages.

I thought the shower and toilet facilities were excellent, so a big 'thank you' to the organisers for the improvements.

As far as the shop is concerned, if they were selling illegal cigarettes then they should have been prosecuted regardless of whether they were on our campsite or anywhere else.

There was a report log available all weekend for any marshals to register their complaints, so if you were unhappy you really should have made your comments known. With a proper log of complaints it gives the organisers good information as to the areas that need improving for the following years!
Old 22 Jul 2003, 08:11 (Ref:668018)   #15
thornton
Rookie

a reply to all you marshals who are sticking up for the establishment;please remember this,they keep throwing s**t at us and we will not be able to gain any respect as long as there is arse lickers out there;we should all stick together and maybe we might get something done about it.lets all stand up and be counted for a change.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 09:04 (Ref:668064)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
As I have said above, there was a log book on the camp site if you wished to register a complaint. If this procedure had been followed then the people who are representing us (as marshals) would have something concrete to work with.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 09:07 (Ref:668065)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Stephen.

If it were concrete you wouldn't be able to stick yer tent pegs in!

And boy does it hurt when you practice rugby tackles!
Old 22 Jul 2003, 09:36 (Ref:668089)   #18
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Nice one Peter Got a trial with Harlequins next week
Old 22 Jul 2003, 10:34 (Ref:668121)   #19
tangotubby
Rookie

tangotubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In reply to Thornton. It sounds like you have an axe to grind. I think if we had all been in 5***** Hotels you still would have found something to moan about. If you feel that strongly about it you could always not volunteer and sit at home in you favourite armchair with a cold can and moan about ITV coverage instead.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 10:56 (Ref:668139)   #20
thornton
Rookie

in reply to tangotubby;NO I HAVE NOT GOT AN AXE TO GRIND.i dont know how long you have been marshaling,but if you have been marshaling as long as i have,you will find that we are just a number.all we need is a little reconision.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 11:01 (Ref:668144)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Can we please calm down folks. Remember that we are all entitled to our opinions so please try to treat each other with respect!
Old 22 Jul 2003, 11:02 (Ref:668145)   #22
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
a couple of tips picked up from attending music festivals over the years....always take at least 4 times as many fags as you are ever likely to smoke as they are a wonderful currency...plus you dont get ripped off...exist on a liquid diet that you commence a week before leaving
Old 22 Jul 2003, 11:02 (Ref:668146)   #23
chriswhitt
Rookie

chriswhitt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought that the camp aite was reasonably OK. The showers could have been split with a few further down, but then those of us further down there would have gone to those and had to queue. No win.
My beef is that perpetual one about not being treated with respect or appreciation. How come a meeting like that can only afford to give the same expenses as the 750MC? I know for a fact that some if not all foreign GP's provide brakfast, a vast packed lunch, and tea with a beer for all officals. Personally I'd rather have that than a fiver.
We used to at least get 2 hats, so our guest could then feel they were involved in some way. Fosters spending too much on actors willing to have their heads bitten off?
How many knew that a substantial donation was made to charity for us staying on post on Saturday for those three laps? Don't mind, just would have been nice to be told.
This is typical of the reasons why this GP will be my last meeting. It just doesn't feel the same as it used to.
Bye
Old 22 Jul 2003, 11:17 (Ref:668159)   #24
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
chris come marshal at a hillclimb.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 11:36 (Ref:668179)   #25
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Observers and IO's were told of the donation to charity so maybe there has been a lack of communication somewhere down the line? My observer and I passed that information to our team!

We end up coming back to the age old solution, if you are that unhappy then don't volunteer. Personally I thought the campsite was a lot better than last year, no need to kick sheep excrement out of the way before pitching the tent. Excellent (yes I mean excellent) shower and toilet facilities, all kept clean and tidy. Camp shops are always expensive and so the wise use them only in emergencies!

Yes it would be nice to have a breakfast or a packed lunch, but then I don't go marshalling for a free meal. Very few clubs are in a position to offer free food so why should the MSA be any different?

I think we owe a vote of thanks to the guys who gave their time to the campsite organising committee.