Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jun 2015, 01:44 (Ref:3552883)   #26
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Me too. Two tyre suppliers are better than just one...
It should be open to any supplier that wants to make a suitable tyre IMHO. I am guessing that BE gets some sort of monetary advantage by having a single supplier.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 21:25 (Ref:3553160)   #27
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
It should be open to any supplier that wants to make a suitable tyre IMHO. I am guessing that BE gets some sort of monetary advantage by having a single supplier.
No but what BE is able to do is to
Influence Pirelli they are happy to provide what they are asked for
Old 23 Jun 2015, 11:11 (Ref:3553287)   #28
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Me too. Two tyre suppliers are better than just one...
It didn't make the 2000s very much fun tbh. Years like 2003-2005 were some of the most boring years F1 has ever seen. And other series seem to manage fine with a single tyre.

Why does F1 need all of these fixes? Seems to be layers upon layers of patches.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 12:00 (Ref:3553305)   #29
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
No but what BE is able to do is to
Influence Pirelli they are happy to provide what they are asked for
I remember reading an article some time ago where the teams pay Pirelli for their tyres.
Pirelli pay Bernie/FOM about a similar amount for track side advertising etc.

I don't have a link to this story.
Old 29 Jun 2015, 13:46 (Ref:3554710)   #30
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Chaynes321 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
It didn't make the 2000s very much fun tbh. Years like 2003-2005 were some of the most boring years F1 has ever seen. And other series seem to manage fine with a single tyre.

Why does F1 need all of these fixes? Seems to be layers upon layers of patches.
Sorry I completely disagree with that this period is for me the best period of F1 iv watched
Old 29 Jun 2015, 14:35 (Ref:3554718)   #31
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As Michelin and Pirelli go head to head for the F1 tyre contract, Pirelli's motorsport director Paul Hembery says there should be a huge increase in wheel size.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119745
Old 30 Jun 2015, 14:23 (Ref:3554905)   #32
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
from the article:

"The only area where they all seem to be very much in agreement is going for wider rear tyres, which when you see it on a car looks pretty dramatic," added Hembery.

first i have heard it suggested that there is consensus in this area. wider rears will no doubt make some of our fellow tenthers very happy!
Old 30 Jun 2015, 23:40 (Ref:3555058)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What about this? Seems to cover all the bases.

Old 1 Jul 2015, 08:27 (Ref:3555135)   #34
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
What about this? Seems to cover all the bases.

and a return to groved tyres?
Old 4 Jul 2015, 01:39 (Ref:3555717)   #35
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
and a return to groved tyres?
I don't know how groovy that would be?
Old 21 Jul 2015, 17:48 (Ref:3560085)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
So the decision to go with either Michelin or Pirelli is in Bernie's hands.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120048
Old 21 Jul 2015, 22:46 (Ref:3560143)   #37
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
So the decision to go with either Michelin or Pirelli is in Bernie's hands.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120048
all it would do is "make a rock-hard tyre you could put on in January and take off in December

If that's all Michelin will do in supplying a tyre then they have my vote!

Rock hard tyres like this would improve the racing no end!

Kind of permanent half-wet scenario. Bring it on!
Old 22 Jul 2015, 00:19 (Ref:3560156)   #38
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
all it would do is "make a rock-hard tyre you could put on in January and take off in December

If that's all Michelin will do in supplying a tyre then they have my vote!

Rock hard tyres like this would improve the racing no end!

Kind of permanent half-wet scenario. Bring it on!
I've never understood why F1 needs so many compound variations at any given GP. In the mid to late '70s, iirc, that's when they started to use a softer compound, which I thought added something but it wasn't like the compulsory use of the Option tyre. That's something F1 borrowed from Champ Car.

With Champ Car and now IndyCar, there are just two compounds, Black and Reds; Reds being the Option tyre. None of this soft or super soft compound stuff etc. and it doesn't matter on what surface the race is taking place. That's what the driver's got. Also no tyre warmers and it must cost Pirelli loads to produce so many compounds.
Old 22 Jul 2015, 00:36 (Ref:3560159)   #39
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I've never understood why F1 needs so many compound variations at any given GP. In the mid to late '70s, iirc, that's when they started to use a softer compound, which I thought added something but it wasn't like the compulsory use of the Option tyre. That's something F1 borrowed from Champ Car.

With Champ Car and now IndyCar, there are just two compounds, Black and Reds; Reds being the Option tyre. None of this soft or super soft compound stuff etc. and it doesn't matter on what surface the race is taking place. That's what the driver's got. Also no tyre warmers and it must cost Pirelli loads to produce so many compounds.
Me neither BJ, tyre marketing perhaps, makes the tyres a point of focus?

I agree though 2 compounds would be more than enough, that is what you have got, make it work. May even mix the racing up a bit and make it more dependent on driver skill and adaptability. Could only be good.
Old 22 Jul 2015, 00:53 (Ref:3560163)   #40
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Me neither BJ, tyre marketing perhaps, makes the tyres a point of focus?

I agree though 2 compounds would be more than enough, that is what you have got, make it work. May even mix the racing up a bit and make it more dependent on driver skill and adaptability. Could only be good.
I don't think it's to do with marketing wnut. At one point Bridgestone ruled the roost as motorsport's tyre manufacturer, for almost every genre of the sport but it became a financial millstone despite their global presence. Now it's only MotoGP I think and Firestone with IndyCar.