Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What score does it get from you?
10 0 0%
9 0 0%
8 2 3.85%
7 10 19.23%
6 15 28.85%
5 7 13.46%
4 5 9.62%
3 6 11.54%
2 2 3.85%
1 5 9.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 Jun 2015, 08:39 (Ref:3552936)   #26
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Some crazy midpack racing. Occasional spells of dullness. 6 overall from me. I like the track and setting, and I think I might try to visit this race one day.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 08:41 (Ref:3552938)   #27
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
I recorded the race, watched the 1st lap, then fast forwarded 20 laps at a time - hoping each time when I pushed play that Mercedes where not 1 & 2

Red Bull Ring has always been as enjoyable track - IndyCar should go there & replace F1

Rating of 1 as I am only giving it 10/15minutes of dull viewing - which is a shame!
How can you even vote on a race you did not by your own admission see?
Old 22 Jun 2015, 13:49 (Ref:3553032)   #28
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
as every so often the CART Vs IRL war rears its ugly head; such is the current state of IndyCar.

Anywho, I thought the race was passable, some action in midfield, but not much.
A little excitement at the prospect of a battle for the lead, and 3rd place in the end, but those fizzled into nothing.

5/10 is being generous.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 14:22 (Ref:3553040)   #29
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dramatic race from the start, but after the crash, there was some good drama and action.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 15:16 (Ref:3553063)   #30
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
gave it a 7. maybe the last few races have lowered my expectations but i liked what i saw in Austria. the Lotus cars put on a good show, Massa did great (thats always a bump for me), Hulk did well etc.

actually felt the teams were really out there looking to improve their pace/their relative positions which i thought has been lacking the last few races.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 19:05 (Ref:3553122)   #31
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There were a couple of interesting passes. The battle for the lead lasted 3 corners, the battle for the last podium spot lasted the 10+ seconds it took the rear right to go onto Vettel's car.

I always find it strange that even the dullest snorefest of a F1 race can attract scores of 5-8s but it's only people's opinions. I judge a race on entertainment value, not caring who won, if the result spices up or kills off title hopes etc

I suppose watching the GP2 feature race didn't help my score, same track, DRS, two different tyre compounds, mandatory pitstop

I voted 2.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 20:38 (Ref:3553148)   #32
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I watched this race twice, I always try to do this before making any comments .. I thought it was a rather unspectacular race on a nice but somewhat sanitized race track in a gorgeous setting ..
Old 23 Jun 2015, 00:17 (Ref:3553194)   #33
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
I thought you'd be happy. It could have ended a lot worse for Kimi yesterday. It was a scary crash.
Kimi was quoted saying F1 needs to be more dangerous!
Old 23 Jun 2015, 00:40 (Ref:3553197)   #34
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I watched this race twice, I always try to do this before making any comments .. I thought it was a rather unspectacular race on a nice but somewhat sanitized race track in a gorgeous setting ..
Sanitized indeed and it did make for a good race last year, though not too sure what happened this year but it doesn't compare to the original Österreichring.

What I always liked about the original track was the long sweep of the last turn, then into the start/finish straight, the climb up the hill and then cresting it.

I'll never forget the late Elio de Angelis's win there in '82.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 23 Jun 2015 at 00:46.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 00:58 (Ref:3553201)   #35
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Sanitized indeed and it did make for a good race last year, though not too sure what happened this year but it doesn't compare to the original Österreichring.

What I always liked about the original track was the long sweep of the last turn, then into the start/finish straight, the climb up the hill and then cresting it.

I'll never forget the late Elio de Angelis's win there in '82.
Sorry I have a terrible memory for past races, but for me it is the over abundance of tarmac runoff... I watched an endurance race from Paul Ricard yesterday, just paint all over the place.. Fly Emirates so advertising does work..

I know COTA has its fair share of this as well... Sorry off topic I know...
Old 23 Jun 2015, 01:25 (Ref:3553205)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Sorry I have a terrible memory for past races, but for me it is the over abundance of tarmac runoff... I watched an endurance race from Paul Ricard yesterday, just paint all over the place.. Fly Emirates so advertising does work..

I know COTA has its fair share of this as well... Sorry off topic I know...
No need to be sorry, here are the highlights of the '82 race: https://youtu.be/eubU6djelq0

and there's also the full race: https://youtu.be/BBp2yfMjR24

Last Sunday's Austrian GP has nothing on this and they didn't need any paint.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 02:18 (Ref:3553211)   #37
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Love the track. Not much going on at the sharp end, but decent battles towards the end.

Old 23 Jun 2015, 08:22 (Ref:3553248)   #38
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No need to be sorry, here are the highlights of the '82 race: https://youtu.be/eubU6djelq0

and there's also the full race: https://youtu.be/BBp2yfMjR24

Last Sunday's Austrian GP has nothing on this and they didn't need any paint.
Looks like a good race but honestly..

If that race were run now ten tenths would say the following:

"Shocking reliability shown there. Those teams will be publicly slaying their engine suppliers this week and threatening to withdraw from F1.

It was a boring race of attrition with little action aside from the breakdowns.

Rosberg left his run too late and cracked under pressure at the end. Should have made a run much earlier.

I gave it a 2 because minus points weren't available. F1 is too safe now. Bring back the 60's."
Old 23 Jun 2015, 11:39 (Ref:3553295)   #39
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
Looks like a good race but honestly..

If that race were run now ten tenths would say the following:

"Shocking reliability shown there. Those teams will be publicly slaying their engine suppliers this week and threatening to withdraw from F1.

It was a boring race of attrition with little action aside from the breakdowns.

Rosberg left his run too late and cracked under pressure at the end. Should have made a run much earlier.

I gave it a 2 because minus points weren't available. F1 is too safe now. Bring back the 60's."
That was then and this is now and there wasn't any public slaying of engine suppliers, it was frustrating when things went wrong, just look at Prost's reaction when both turbos went but back then teams, engine suppliers persevered and in the end turbos were reigned supreme.

Back then attrition was very much part of F1 and the issue of turbo reliability added to that, which was why so many teams still ran the DFV. In those days only the top 6 scored points and only one team in the top 6 in that race used a turbo engine, the rest were NA.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 15:02 (Ref:3553359)   #40
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
This is Gary Anderson's, Austrian GP "Rate the Race".

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...ource=20150623
Old 23 Jun 2015, 15:50 (Ref:3553373)   #41
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Kimi was quoted saying F1 needs to be more dangerous!
On that basis it's a 10 from you!
Old 23 Jun 2015, 18:10 (Ref:3553413)   #42
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
My ratings are normally towards the upper end of the poll range, as i do generally find a fair bit to enjoy, but having seen the BBC highlights (and very unusually for me actually almost dozed off at times) I can only give it a 4 - can't imagine what it would have been like if I'd seen the non-highlight parts

I do think the penalties are distorting things unduly - lets face it the ones with multiple engine swaps have enough difficulties already!

It doesn't worry me that one team is dominant so long as there is good competition throughout the field.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 18:21 (Ref:3553417)   #43
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
My ratings are normally towards the upper end of the poll range, as i do generally find a fair bit to enjoy, but having seen the BBC highlights (and very unusually for me actually almost dozed off at times) I can only give it a 4 - can't imagine what it would have been like if I'd seen the non-highlight parts

I do think the penalties are distorting things unduly - lets face it the ones with multiple engine swaps have enough difficulties already!

It doesn't worry me that one team is dominant so long as there is good competition throughout the field.
I watched the race live and I gave it a 4 but on reflection, I think I was being generous and 2 would have been more appropriate.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 23 Jun 2015 at 18:28.
Old 25 Jun 2015, 12:32 (Ref:3553856)   #44
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would go for a six. It was an enjoyable enough and the drivers like the circuit. The battles were okay to watch, although not gripping or particularly spectacular to watch. Generally, it was fine, though.
Old 26 Jun 2015, 01:10 (Ref:3553982)   #45
smellysocks
Racer

Canada
smellysocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A 3 is about all Austria was worth.

A non race at the front with Hamilton unable to muster any sort of attack on Rosberg whatsoever after missing the start.

Bottas and Maldonado gave us a few great passes but that was all the entertainment there was.

And Ferrari seems to be slipping back into the clutches of Williams, no sign of being able to compete with the Merc's.

Overall a rather dull affair.
Old 26 Jun 2015, 08:14 (Ref:3554029)   #46
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm convinced much of F1's current malaise has as much to do with the bland nature of modern race tracks as it has to do with the cars and over regulation.

Most of today's circuits are instantly forgettable, uninspiring and utterly tedious.

We all know current F1 cars are incredibly fast and sophisticated but most of the time they just don't look it. The tracks are just too expansive, featureless and large, creating the impression that the cars are slow and boring.

If we got the chance to see them out the back at Brands Hatch, or on the original Silverstone layout for example, then I'm certain views would change.
Old 26 Jun 2015, 09:25 (Ref:3554033)   #47
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sure, it's not the Österreichring, but the RB Ring is still one of the best tracks F1 visits. Lots of elevation changes, and a unique character.

I gave the race 6/10, not a classic, but one of the best races of this year.
Old 27 Jun 2015, 13:48 (Ref:3554238)   #48
smellysocks
Racer

Canada
smellysocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
I'm convinced much of F1's current malaise has as much to do with the bland nature of modern race tracks as it has to do with the cars and over regulation.

Most of today's circuits are instantly forgettable, uninspiring and utterly tedious.

We all know current F1 cars are incredibly fast and sophisticated but most of the time they just don't look it. The tracks are just too expansive, featureless and large, creating the impression that the cars are slow and boring.

If we got the chance to see them out the back at Brands Hatch, or on the original Silverstone layout for example, then I'm certain views would change.
I am not sure it is entirely the bland modern tracks that are causing the malaise.

Just look at Montreal which is the opposite of a modern 'Tilke" track and the race there was probably the worst in ages imo due to the regulations.