Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Jul 2007, 07:12 (Ref:1958217)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Silverstone Grand Prix Historic Support Races

Another blinder arranged by HSCC. The races were very close all through the field with both being won by Sytner. A long way back down the field I started 2nd reserve on the Saturday and having started a lap down Saturdays race was all about finishing to ensure Sundays race.
Sundays race was superb I had a great battle with Ben Eastick's D Type a Lister and a McLaren M1. I finished 32/46 with our gaggle finishing McLaren, Lister 2 second behind then me half a second behind the Lister and teh D Type 2.5 seconds behind me which after 14 laps/28 minutes later was I hope as exciting to watch as it was to race!!!
Sadly Lincoln Small adly damaged the back of his BT8 after losiong the back on the entry to Bridge, but apart from that there was no contact - just tight racing on the glorious GP circuit.
Saw several ten-tenthers, Mr Bowers attending Whizzo and a couple of others lurking around!
Lets hope we are lucky enough to get the nod again next year!
Old 9 Jul 2007, 07:18 (Ref:1958221)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great that you got to race Simon. Shame about Lincoln; he's not had the best of luck this season in his BT30 either, if I recall correctly, but he keeps smiling!
Old 9 Jul 2007, 08:27 (Ref:1958272)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done for actually getting out there Simon,you looked to be enjoying yourself!.It did not look as though Whiz would be out for this weekend,The car was pretty knocked about at LM the other week,plus the engine had tried to spit out No2 Piston through the carb!So it was heads down last Saturday[After a panic call from Whiz and then Dick Skipworth on Friday night!!].The bodywork was all knocked out and dispatched to the paintshop,The engine removed etc.I got back home sometime after Midnight.Sunday Two of Dicks employees installed the spare engine[sat in a corner for the lst 5 years!]Monday was already spoken for,so back to the grindstone Tuesday!Carbs,Exhaust,etc,etc all back on,charge battery,spin up Oil Pressure,Away we go!!Late home -bed. Thursday ,quick check and run the Tojiero around ,all,s well ,up to the cirquit,Friday,Bleed Brakes,Rejet carb,s[too rich].General checkover,Qualifying gave a 2.08!.We looked for a little bit more on Saturday and landed a pretty respectable 2.07.I was one of the lucky ones ,I watched the GP at home.! I,ve not spoken to OUR NATIONAL TREASURE YET,its too early for him to phone!!So I can only assume that all went well for him yesterday,no phone call last night!

Last edited by terence; 9 Jul 2007 at 08:30.
Old 9 Jul 2007, 09:31 (Ref:1958354)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry I missed chatting Simon but I was on the grid Saturday and Sunday (Woodcote Approach), red shoes in evidence! We really MUST meet at some stage!
Old 9 Jul 2007, 12:16 (Ref:1958534)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
given I started a lowly row 19 by the Silverstone Racing Club we must have been close - unless celeb marshalls dont do support races!!
Old 9 Jul 2007, 13:06 (Ref:1958587)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I was opposite row 16
Old 9 Jul 2007, 13:07 (Ref:1958588)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

as ever you are ahead of me ;-)
Old 9 Jul 2007, 13:11 (Ref:1958592)   #8
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys, where can we find the results to Saturday and Sunday's races?
Old 10 Jul 2007, 06:56 (Ref:1959291)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

very good question - as it was hand timed rather than MST I think that HSCC are the best bet. Email them and ask if the can email a set back to you.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 08:54 (Ref:1959412)   #10
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
very good question - as it was hand timed rather than MST I think that HSCC are the best bet. Email them and ask if the can email a set back to you.
How come they do not use MST or is it just not allowed at the GP?
Old 10 Jul 2007, 08:56 (Ref:1959415)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe the F1 teams couldn't afford the transponders ?
Old 10 Jul 2007, 09:04 (Ref:1959425)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

Bernie doesnt own it!
Old 10 Jul 2007, 11:27 (Ref:1959548)   #13
GBRM
Veteran

England
I would think simon is right but I prefer zefarelly's answer!!
So for the support races were they all hand timed or did they use the F1 timing system? Seems a bit silly if hand timed.

As much as I don't like forking out for the MST transponder I do think it's a very good bit of kit.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 12:30 (Ref:1959595)   #14
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan and I were playing with the front row of the grid, otherwise we might have wondered back to see you.

Anyway I daresay we will see you at The Classic.

Fay
Old 10 Jul 2007, 12:36 (Ref:1959601)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

sadly not - Masters (in their infinite wisdom) have decided that the evening 90 minute race would be safer without twin cams.......
or put another way - twin cams were the free option and when enough big bangers applied they closed the race to twin cams!
Never mind as a consulation they put on a race at the DTM meeting at Brands teh same weekend as HSCC 3 Hour and wondered why they had to pull the race as there were not enough entries!!!!