Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Jun 2007, 09:13 (Ref:1933000)   #1
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drivers utterings

Last season I "volunteered" to write a race report for The Jim Clark Revival Meeting" at Hockenheim. To add some spice to the report I decided to interview a number of drivers for their take on the meeting. One Formula Junior driver who spoke little English was trying to explain his lack of speed "It was a gear change problem - my leg was too short to push the clutch pedal". Once sorted he went on to achieve his best finish in the series.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 19:27 (Ref:1948418)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I rather like the modest, but oft used wording of 2nd place drivers, in historics, anyway - 'I ran out of talent!'.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 20:15 (Ref:1948483)   #3
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And I still think two classic expressions are:

"I outbraked myself"

and

"an out-of-body-panel experience"

James
Old 27 Jun 2007, 23:40 (Ref:1948619)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
or . . . I have more money than ability . . . . .
Old 28 Jun 2007, 06:44 (Ref:1948711)   #5
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
or . . . I have more money than ability . . . . .
or? my hart is way smaller than my wallet
Old 28 Jun 2007, 08:04 (Ref:1948757)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I also like that gentleman of historic F3 racing, Richard Trott's saying, 'that was lovely clean racing, just as it should be' which I've heard him say a couple of times this year when interviewed on the podium. Damn right, Richard.
Old 28 Jun 2007, 10:22 (Ref:1948860)   #7
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw a good one on the back of a car at Dijon last weekend that said something to the effect of "the older I get, the faster I think I am".
Old 28 Jun 2007, 10:32 (Ref:1948878)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Roger, I think it was probably 'The older I get, the faster I was'!! I have an old 'No Fear' T shirt with that statement on the back. Used to cause some amusement.
Old 9 Jul 2007, 06:27 (Ref:1958198)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can remember a drivers briefing at Snett ,quite a few years ago,where we were informed that"The first MGB home would have the head removed for capacity checking"[Yes ,some "B"s have had illegal engines that long ago!].One Mr Marshall then told the CoC that "We will all be racing for second then!!"
Old 9 Jul 2007, 09:03 (Ref:1958300)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
that would be hillarious, flat out race for 9 laps then a crawl to the finish line !
Old 9 Jul 2007, 09:54 (Ref:1958389)   #11
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
I can remember a drivers briefing at Snett ,quite a few years ago,where we were informed that"The first MGB home would have the head removed for capacity checking"[Yes ,some "B"s have had illegal engines that long ago!].One Mr Marshall then told the CoC that "We will all be racing for second then!!"
I can't imagine Dad ever cheating like that!!
Old 9 Jul 2007, 13:15 (Ref:1958597)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He did,nt,He only drove the car,he did,nt build it!!!
Old 9 Jul 2007, 13:16 (Ref:1958598)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
that would be hillarious, flat out race for 9 laps then a crawl to the finish line !
I thought that only happened at Ferrari. Imagine leading all the way to Russell,and trying to wave the driver behind to go infront!
Old 9 Jul 2007, 13:41 (Ref:1958628)   #14
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
He did,nt,He only drove the car,he did,nt build it!!!
Yeah, but I have a good idea who built it beginning with a V!!
Old 9 Jul 2007, 14:36 (Ref:1958681)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Hmmmmmm.
Old 9 Jul 2007, 14:48 (Ref:1958695)   #16
GBRM
Veteran

England
And he's still building them, only 2 st Silverstone the other week. He's helping with my car too; luckily we don't know enough about GM cars to stretch the envelope just yet!!
Old 9 Jul 2007, 17:27 (Ref:1958863)   #17
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, this thread reminds me.....

If it's not too risqué to repeat on here, one of my favourite sayings of your dad's was (from memory) on being shown a particularly small car to drive: "I couldn't fit my c**k in that!"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
And he's still building them, only 2 st Silverstone the other week. He's helping with my car too; luckily we don't know enough about GM cars to stretch the envelope just yet!!
Old 10 Jul 2007, 08:52 (Ref:1959409)   #18
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer
Sorry, this thread reminds me.....

If it's not too risqué to repeat on here, one of my favourite sayings of your dad's was (from memory) on being shown a particularly small car to drive: "I couldn't fit my c**k in that!"....

I can well imagine it!! I think I've just about collected all the columns Dad wrote for CCC, Motor and Autosport, there are some classic lines in them, I'll have to try and re-produce them in a book or something one day.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 13:03 (Ref:1965693)   #19
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On the back of a car in Chimay this weekend:

"I like old cars, and young women"
Old 19 Jul 2007, 00:12 (Ref:1967016)   #20
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Drivers Utterings

Back to the original thread. My husband returned to motorsport after 34 years. His first race was at Brands in the wet and duly informed the rest of the field of the circumstances and that he would probably be slow and would keep out of their way. From a position of 27th on the grid he was up to 10th overall when the race was red-flagged. A finish there gave him a 4th place in class. Afterwards his new fellow competitors said "We thought you were going to go slow" to which his reply was "I did, but you went slower!"
Old 19 Jul 2007, 07:13 (Ref:1967144)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I think we should be told who your husband is!
Old 4 Aug 2007, 10:26 (Ref:1980352)   #22
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
With our pearl wedding anniversary next year I wouldn't want to lose the chance of a 'surprise ' pearl or two!