Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 14 Jul 2014, 20:54 (Ref:3433936)   #1
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am taking a break and saying thanks

Well, after some thought i have decided to take a break from the wonderful world of the orange clad army. there were many things behind it but doing 12 plus years with 60 plus days a year has took its tole and i need a rest lol. i will be finishing this season then see how it goes, i will be back at some point (even if some people groan at that).
just wanted to say thanks to all. i have made some amazing friends, been taught some amazing skills and seen things over the years from all sorts of people to know what an amazing, caring and professional bunch you all are.
a massive thanks to Nadine at oulton who was with me on my first day, and what a day it was, who has helped so much and put up with me all this time which isn't easy. there are to many individuals to mention so i will just do a massive THANKYOU to all. to those who helped, those who trained me, those who put up on post with me and to the guys and girls through the years who made it all worth it. it will be a big part of my life gone and needing to fill but as said i will be back at some point even if for a one of next year to fill the gap.
all stay safe, have fun and keep enjoying it. your all an amazing bunch of people
Old 15 Jul 2014, 05:43 (Ref:3434018)   #2
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is your choice - we are only volunteers after all. But you will be missed.

Good luck with whatever you do instead - or do you plan on being an armchair marshal like us?
Old 15 Jul 2014, 07:23 (Ref:3434025)   #3
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good luck my friend. I too have had some memorable days with you and feel confident, after a short break, to see you again. Take care and keep in touch!
Old 15 Jul 2014, 08:19 (Ref:3434038)   #4
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Come to the 24hr 2CV at least!
Old 15 Jul 2014, 15:36 (Ref:3434143)   #5
Mark Noble
Racer

England
Warrington
Mark Noble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hooray!

You know I'm joking, all the best. Some excellent laughs, and often bizarre moments, on post. A fair few hefty shunts too!

At least I can sleep at anglesey without the snoring

Enjoy the break!
Old 15 Jul 2014, 19:13 (Ref:3434209)   #6
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent
Racer

Scotland
Crewe
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are many monkeys, some of them are orange (is an orang utang a monkey?) . There is lots of gravel. However, there will only ever be one gravel monkey.
Stay in touch fella!
Old 16 Jul 2014, 11:22 (Ref:3434399)   #7
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good luck with the break. Unless you have discovered another way of filling up the weekend, I suspect that you will be drawn back in. Perhaps a different discipline or venue.

Best wishes.

Jim
Old 16 Jul 2014, 11:24 (Ref:3434401)   #8
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 'Bean' Broadbent View Post
. . . (is an orang utang a monkey?) . . .
Ook ook; as the Librarian would say. (No they're apes.)

Jim
Old 16 Jul 2014, 17:11 (Ref:3434553)   #9
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without you and Mr Kelly and your trouble magnets Anglesey will never be the same! Had some great times on post and off. Good luck and maybe we'll see you again sometime, as well as the remaining meetings you're doing this year.
Old 16 Jul 2014, 19:16 (Ref:3434614)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Don't stay away too long . . . it won't be the same without you.

Bet you can't take more than a year out!
Old 16 Jul 2014, 19:42 (Ref:3434623)   #11
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Good luck for the future mate, plenty of good times to remember!

I MAY be writing a similar post come the end of the season.......
Old 16 Jul 2014, 22:05 (Ref:3434680)   #12
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good Luck

It's your decision and only yours.
let's just hope that the Powers-that-Be see it that way and remember that you are a volunteer rather than a "Should-be-There".

enjoy your time away, love whatever else you do but remember..........

your Orange Pals will always be here for you, as and when (or if) you ever decide to return.

Take care and Play Safe.
Old 17 Jul 2014, 08:49 (Ref:3434812)   #13
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Hill View Post
your Orange Pals will always be here for you, as and when (or if) you ever decide to return.

Take care and Play Safe.
As my break has been more or less enforced rather than by choice, I can only second this. I don't know where I'd have been without 10-10ths or my sporadic visits to a race track. Everyone in orange/black/blue/white is "my family" (whether they like it or not).

So don't forget us even while you're taking a rest.
Old 18 Jul 2014, 22:23 (Ref:3435283)   #14
Tom Bee
Racer

United Kingdom
Knickerbrook
Tom Bee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Don't stay away too long . . . it won't be the same without you.

Bet you can't take more than a year out!
A year you say?

I can feel a few wagers coming on, I will take 14months 1week and 3days!

All the best Grav. Take it easy mate!
Old 19 Jul 2014, 22:13 (Ref:3435638)   #15
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I managed a full year off, then 3 years of selective meetings before coming back doing something different. Now looking at having another break. Enjoy your break and do what you want when you want.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 12:22 (Ref:3439284)   #16
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OP, like you do, I used to be at a race track almost every weekend, then about 6 years ago I stopped, I was burnt out from a lot of things and I walked away from being a marshal to find a life away from racing.
Or so I thought, being "orange" is in the blood, and I slowly I have returned, building up to a happy balance. I spend as much time with friends watching as I do marshalling now, except I do what meeting I want to now, when I want to, and the fun has returned.

Go and have a break, relax and unwind from the sport, I hope when you're ready you'll return fully refreshed and eager to continue with the orange family
Old 28 Jul 2014, 12:39 (Ref:3439291)   #17
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jase View Post
OP, like you do, I used to be at a race track almost every weekend, then about 6 years ago I stopped, I was burnt out from a lot of things and I walked away from being a marshal to find a life away from racing.
Or so I thought, being "orange" is in the blood, and I slowly I have returned, building up to a happy balance. I spend as much time with friends watching as I do marshalling now, except I do what meeting I want to now, when I want to, and the fun has returned.

Go and have a break, relax and unwind from the sport, I hope when you're ready you'll return fully refreshed and eager to continue with the orange family
bang on,

im in the same place these days, I used to do every meeting on the calendar at oulton and donington. I cant do that these days and im slowly scaling back. I cant see me completely stopping however next year il only do 6 or so meetings...just barc and msvr meetings at oulton and the Silverstone classic. between friends, my own racing and marshalling I need to find a happy balance...ive really enjoyed marshalling for 12 years but lately between work, having another half, friends etc theres only so much time and its been grinding me down, especially working away from home now, I cant see the other half during the week, or work on my race car in the evenings...if I go marshalling every weekend when I get home from work, I don't think my life would be worth living....or id get a knife in the back!!!!