Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Oct 2014, 14:33 (Ref:3470255)   #101
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can only assume Red Bull are in F1 because the owner loves F1. I really doubt that the 40 - 70 age group are big buyers of red bull and if my daughter is anything to go by, the extreme sports they sponsor (such as cliff diving) has a much greater resonance with them.

I think that F1 has bigger problems than merely a disinterested younger population, as my experience of kids is that a surprising proportion actively dislike F1 and everything it represents. The "green brigade" will happily rant on about private jets and pollution caused etc. whilst the politically motivated will complain about GP's in Russia etc.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 14:33 (Ref:3470256)   #102
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
that was sort of my point...that the way forward resides with a more equitable split of the TV and prize money because there isnt enough sponsorship money available out there to sustain the teams.
...and in time there won't be enough TV money either.

All avenues point in one direction - F1 is existing beyond its means and needs to be cheaper. If it is to be a single seater series, it will need to be primarily spec. based or completely spec. and involve teams [a la Force India, Sauber] not manufacturers. If it is to involve manufacturers [a la Ferrari, Mercedes etc...] then it must be a GT series using production originated cars.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 15:17 (Ref:3470266)   #103
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart View Post
I can only assume Red Bull are in F1 because the owner loves F1. I really doubt that the 40 - 70 age group are big buyers of red bull and if my daughter is anything to go by, the extreme sports they sponsor (such as cliff diving) has a much greater resonance with them.

I think that F1 has bigger problems than merely a disinterested younger population, as my experience of kids is that a surprising proportion actively dislike F1 and everything it represents. The "green brigade" will happily rant on about private jets and pollution caused etc. whilst the politically motivated will complain about GP's in Russia etc.
It could be said it is out of fashion....Good thoughts but the believers will take some convincing.
Old 1 Nov 2014, 01:11 (Ref:3470393)   #104
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Peter, the demographic hasn't changed as much as the audience to which F1 played has disappeared or is largely disappearing and you can't reach what isn't there. I think this is the point that is central to F1's future but those in charge have yet to acknowledge or even recognise the problem. What surprises me is the RB who play to a young age group with their product are still involved because that group do not engage with F1 as a general rule. My son, age 26 has raced karts since age 9 yet he has never watched an entire F1 race as it bores him. None of his mates watch at all and I do not know of any young people who do, they are simply not interested.
That's right because today I had a good look around and many young people were in attendance at COTA..Lots of women as many as men I thought, and hotter than chilli peppers..
Old 1 Nov 2014, 01:15 (Ref:3470394)   #105
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
That's right because today I had a good look around and many young people were in attendance at COTA..Lots of women as many as men I thought, and hotter than chilli peppers..
That's good because F1 needs every one of them and BE will be ecstatic.
Old 1 Nov 2014, 04:15 (Ref:3470422)   #106
EGG
Racer

Australia
perth, aus
EGG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Growing up (I'm now 32), F1 was seen as not just uninteresting, but being pretty uncool. I had zero interest in it until late 2008.
Old 7 Nov 2014, 15:22 (Ref:3472519)   #107
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's no more next for Marussia as the garage doors are finally shut and all the staff are sadly made redundant.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116664
Old 7 Nov 2014, 15:59 (Ref:3472528)   #108
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Gutted for the workers, and all involved in the team.

I may be in the minority, but I enjoyed seeing the battle at the back between Caterham and Marussia each weekend.

2013 British GP - whilst everyone on TV was watching Rosberg waving to the crowd on his slow down lap, Chilton and Var Der Garde were at the concludion of their race long wheel to wheel battle, with Chilton squeezing past on the run up to the line. How many more of these battles have the TV public never seen?

Who was not pleased when one of these teams outsmarted the more established crowd in changing conditions, and made it into Q2? Who was not delighted when Bianchi scored those points at Moncao?

True racers the lot of them - whether that be at the front or back of the grid. Brought into the sport under false promises that teams could compete on limited budget, only for the established guard to move the goalposts.

Whilst Christinan Horner and others are acting like Mr Teflon, looking after no.1, pretending that all is fine, let's hope that in a few seasons time we do not have a 3 team grid like the utter shables of WTCC.
Old 7 Nov 2014, 20:55 (Ref:3472603)   #109
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubbish but not unexpected news. I'd have said that hopefully this would shake some sense into the series, but given some of the comments made recently by the likes of Ferrari and Bernie, I somewhat doubt that. There's no such thing as a budget in F1. If you're not competitive and you get no prize money then nobody is going to back your car. There's only so long that getting a pay driver to fund the entire team will last. Ferrari is the only F1 team that regularly makes a profit, they also get the largest share of the prize money. I think it's going to take something much bigger than this for people to come to their senses, and by which point it'll be too late.
Old 7 Nov 2014, 21:24 (Ref:3472616)   #110
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie Ecclestone quitting would be a starting point if Formula One is to regain some credibility ....

and when questioned recently didn't he say " It's my fault " !!!!

Then do something about it Bernie or retire.
Old 7 Nov 2014, 21:44 (Ref:3472622)   #111
Bent Wishbone
Rookie

Bent Wishbone has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well I have been privileged to know John Booth since his FF days and a more decent person you could never wish to meet - BE has truly shafted the lower F1 fraternity and F1 will be the loser in the long term - truly saddened by this news and the financial effect on employees ...
Old 7 Nov 2014, 22:23 (Ref:3472627)   #112
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm quite surprised they folded without the hoopla of trying to find another buyer like Caterham did. I'd say Marussia had a better chance of surviving in F1 then Caterham.
Old 7 Nov 2014, 22:36 (Ref:3472634)   #113
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
I'm quite surprised they folded without the hoopla of trying to find another buyer like Caterham did. I'd say Marussia had a better chance of surviving in F1 then Caterham.
Likely dependent on how entrepreneurial the administrators were. There is a risk in keeping an insolvent business trading whilst in administration, it usually pushes all responsibility for debts incurred in the time of the administration straight back on the accounting folk in charge.. So you would have to be very sure of an income source to do that..

It is sad and you cant help but think Caterham might be very close now too
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 8 Nov 2014, 00:42 (Ref:3472662)   #114
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Administrators are unimaginative functionaries prepared perhaps to do something with a conventional business - but an F1 team? Hopelessly out of their depth.
Old 8 Nov 2014, 03:10 (Ref:3472695)   #115
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
Midweek Motorsport on Radio Le Mans have been looking at this for a few weeks now. From their reports, Marussia were in a far, far worse financial situation than Caterham. So this isn't much of a surprise.
Old 9 Nov 2014, 00:42 (Ref:3472978)   #116
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yahoo Finance reporting that Marussia might not actually be quite dead yet as a consortium is interested in putting a deal together:

"LONDON, UK, Nov. 8, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- via PRWEB - The Marussia Formula 1 team could still race in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on 23rd November. A group led by Summit Bespoke Investments and the corporate finance division of White & Company Chartered Accountants have spoken to serious and interested parties and are welcoming interest from new parties about a rescue package that would enable the team to take part."
Old 9 Nov 2014, 03:48 (Ref:3473031)   #117
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Yahoo Finance reporting that Marussia might not actually be quite dead yet as a consortium is interested in putting a deal together:

"LONDON, UK, Nov. 8, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- via PRWEB - The Marussia Formula 1 team could still race in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on 23rd November. A group led by Summit Bespoke Investments and the corporate finance division of White & Company Chartered Accountants have spoken to serious and interested parties and are welcoming interest from new parties about a rescue package that would enable the team to take part."
Tbh, I've never understood why anyone in this day and age of F1, would want to invest in a team as a way of making money.
Old 26 Nov 2014, 18:22 (Ref:3478971)   #118
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
The cars and all team kit including machine shop, etc come up for auction on 16th and 17th of December.
Old 26 Nov 2014, 21:04 (Ref:3479046)   #119
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Auction Here

Pics Here
Old 27 Nov 2014, 02:40 (Ref:3479142)   #120
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Disgraceful Bernie don't you think. Do you still think Bernie, or don't you give a shyte ? *******...
Old 27 Nov 2014, 02:52 (Ref:3479146)   #121
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
That's sad.

I wonder if Carl Haas will buy any of this?
Old 27 Nov 2014, 03:07 (Ref:3479149)   #122
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That's sad.

If I was him(which of course I am not) that is what I would do....

Because they know what they are doing...Graeme Lowdon is your guy Carl !!
Old 27 Nov 2014, 03:36 (Ref:3479155)   #123
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That's sad.

Gene Haas was always talking about HaasF1 needing a European base.. here's one that is stocked with stuff, ready to play
Old 27 Nov 2014, 07:12 (Ref:3479184)   #124
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Ahhh it's so sad for it to all end like this and so publically especially after Bianchi's misfortune.

Always think it's a bit grotty when wind up equipment stuff gets advertised.
Old 27 Nov 2014, 15:22 (Ref:3479290)   #125
sweetchuk
Racer

Australia
sweetchuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Particularly hollow feeling looking at pic 121 of 128 from the pics link above ... empty desk overlooked by a wall poster of the team featuring Jules ... and none of them are there at the Marussia factory anymore - time (and Bernie's financial grinchery) moved on far too quickly for them, alas.

Just a really sad, empty feeling looking at that scene though - almost the same kind of feeling I get when overlooking Mt Panorama at 10.30pm after the race from the Skyline bird's nest ... nothing more desolate & lonely than a racetrack the night after a meeting ...