Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 2 Mar 2018, 10:47 (Ref:3805172)   #2951
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
They need to keep things stable, which is why NGTC works so well and of course the racing is more important than anything, which is why it is here to stay
Old 2 Mar 2018, 11:00 (Ref:3805175)   #2952
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At the BritCar Endurance Series final last year, at Brands on the Indy Circuit there were a number of TCR cars entered and looking thru the timing logs from TSL these were the fastest laps i could find:

Lines / Taylor - SEAT Leon Cupra TCR - 50.360
Cocker / De Haan - Audi R3 TCR - 51.752

At RD1 of the BTCC last year, Jeff Smith took pole with a 48.367. So there is a 2 second gap. But unless you have both cars there at the same time, driven by the same driver its almost impossible to compare the 2.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 11:04 (Ref:3805178)   #2953
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
It isn't all a case of how fast the cats are. BTCC is very high profile with an excellent TV package. A TCR car could be 2 seconds quicker round Brands Hatch, it doesn't mean teams will do that instead if they aren't getting the tv coverage for their sponsors.
I know the BTCC brings more to the table in that regard, but for the smaller teams who rarely get the TV coverage (which with current grid sizes is probably a good 2/3rds, remembering that even the 'mighty' Jason Plato fell off ITV's radar last year), would you rather spend circa 200-300k to pootle round at the back and only get featured on TV when your mediocre driver (with deep pockets) puts it in the gravel (again!) or spend circa 100-150k (most likely with better driver whose pockets don't need to be as deep) for the same exposure (IE none) and with a better chance of winning some silverware and even dominating the championship?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
The BTCC has always wanted control over the regs it uses.

I think they are still burned by the supertouring debacle and then the spiralling costs of S2000.

As much as I disagree I think it’s a good thing for the BTCC to be separate in that sense. I think if both options were on the table TCR regs would be the obvious choice, however Gow would then lose control over the regs.
That's the point I'm making, TOCA want the control, hence not embracing TCR, but they're going to have a hard time justifying the choice if TCR gains traction in the UK.

They struggled to keep S2000 out when they proved to be more popular than the BTC regs with more teams preferring to go down the route of buying an S2000 car rather than building a BTC one.

NGTC still has that issue to some degree. With few used/customer cars on the market, most teams rely on having to build a car from scratch or at least buy the remnants of a team and re-engineer what they have, and with no second-hand market outside of the BTCC it’s a lot of investment into a dead end product. (Heck even most super tourers found lives in Formula Saloons and hill climb events abroad).

In order to be at the sharp end of the grid requires money. Even if the cost of the car is capped, the engineering expertise and staffing cost starts rise. It gets to a point again where teams can't raise the funds and drop out and if BMR and Motorbase (and even Team Dynamics when Honda UK pulled back) in past years are anything to go by even the 'big' teams aren't immune to it.

TCR's rise to success follows GT3's path utilising customer cars, take the development away from the teams and costs are heavily reduced. Sure they don't have live TV, but as F1 has proven, the way the world watches sport is changing and more people are using social media and the internet to engage with the sport. If they do it right TCR UK could succeed and rival BTCC a few years down the line!

Anyway, the future has just been revealed: https://www.touringcartimes.com/2018...c-touring-car/

Last edited by BLiTZ; 2 Mar 2018 at 11:10.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 11:08 (Ref:3805179)   #2954
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Also, TCR cars are just a bit crap.

It's just that no one else came up with a better solution.
Yes, but if only 1-2 secs off the pace of an NGTC car costing almost twice as much, what does does that say about NGTC?
Old 2 Mar 2018, 11:11 (Ref:3805181)   #2955
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think last season was one of the best for exposure, as you remember not only did 34 drivers score points, but 31 (I think?) of them finished in top 10 at least once, showing the grids more competitive and it’s no longer a case that some teams are only featured when they are in the gravel. Hope 2018 sees more of the same
Old 2 Mar 2018, 11:14 (Ref:3805183)   #2956
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
At RD1 of the BTCC last year, Jeff Smith took pole with a 48.367. So there is a 2 second gap. But unless you have both cars there at the same time, driven by the same driver its almost impossible to compare the 2.
Not to mention differences in tyres, fuel load etc. I'm sure I've read from drivers who have driven both that there is nothing in it in reality. Given performance per dollar the TCR is miles ahead.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 11:14 (Ref:3805184)   #2957
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
I know the BTCC brings more to the table in that regard, but for the smaller teams who rarely get the TV coverage (which with current grid sizes is probably a good 2/3rds, remembering that even the 'mighty' Jason Plato fell off ITV's radar last year), would you rather spend circa 200-300k to pootle round at the back and only get featured on TV when your mediocre driver (with deep pockets) puts it in the gravel (again!) or spend circa 100-150k (most likely with better driver whose pockets don't need to be as deep) for the same exposure (IE none) and with a better chance of winning some silverware and even dominating the championship?!

That's the point I'm making, TOCA want the control, hence not embracing TCR, but they're going to have a hard time justifying the choice if TCR gains traction in the UK.

They struggled to keep S2000 out when they proved to be more popular than the BTC regs with more teams preferring to go down the route of buying an S2000 car rather than building a BTC one.

NGTC still has that issue to some degree. With few used/customer cars on the market, most teams rely on having to build a car from scratch or at least buy the remnants of a team and re-engineer what they have, and with no second-hand market outside of the BTCC it’s a lot of investment into a dead end product. (Heck even most super tourers found lives in Formula Saloons and hill climb events abroad).

In order to be at the sharp end of the grid requires money. Even if the cost of the car is capped, the engineering expertise and staffing cost starts rise. It gets to a point again where teams can't raise the funds and drop out and if BMR and Motorbase (and even Team Dynamics when Honda UK pulled back) in past years are anything to go by even the 'big' teams aren't immune to it.

TCR's rise to success follows GT3's path utilising customer cars, take the development away from the teams and costs are heavily reduced. Sure they don't have live TV, but as F1 has proven, the way the world watches sport is changing and more people are using social media and the internet to engage with the sport. If they do it right TCR UK could succeed and rival BTCC a few years down the line!
Which is why, (in my opinion) a number of BTCC teams have initially expressed an interest in TCR UK (plus there's a chance if it did take off, but not take over, it could become a good feeder series for The BTCC.)
Old 2 Mar 2018, 11:21 (Ref:3805189)   #2958
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
remembering that even the 'mighty' Jason Plato fell off ITV's radar last year),

To be fair, I think that this was more to do with Plato keeping himself out of the limelight rather than ITV not featuring him. It was obvious, especially towards the end of the season, that he couldn't realistically answer the burning question of why Sutton was out front, and he was acting as a mobile chicane towards the back of the field.

Far better, in those circumstances, to stay out of the way of the cameras. The drivers, if they are not in the leading few, do have the option of not appearing on the TV.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 11:38 (Ref:3805196)   #2959
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
JP, according to info I had, chose to lay low. Remember, here's a guy who was genuinely confused - and no doubt upset - as to why he was struggling.

I still suspect that crash affected him mentally - even if he hadn't (possibly hasn't still) realised. I totally lost my mojo after a nasty practice shunt.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 11:52 (Ref:3805199)   #2960
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
doesn't make sense , he had much more nasty crashes like rolling over
Old 2 Mar 2018, 12:02 (Ref:3805202)   #2961
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
At the BritCar Endurance Series final last year, at Brands on the Indy Circuit there were a number of TCR cars entered and looking thru the timing logs from TSL these were the fastest laps i could find:

Lines / Taylor - SEAT Leon Cupra TCR - 50.360
Cocker / De Haan - Audi R3 TCR - 51.752

I think super tourers were doing the 1999 Brands Indy layout in about 0:46 - 0:47
Old 2 Mar 2018, 12:04 (Ref:3805203)   #2962
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Makes perfect sense to me, even if that was or wasn't the real reason.

As each year passes, my attitude to risk changes. I used to be a pretty decent skier - I could ski quickly before I could run, spending most winters in Norway after my fourth birthday - yet on one of my recent skiing trips, I kept on stopping on slopes that I would have sailed down earlier in my life to evaluate the risk. And I drive now in a similar way, driving defensively rather than the way that I drove 50 years ago.

Plato is get on a bit, and there is every possibility that with a family and responsibilities - maybe grandchildren, I don't know - he has been affected by what was a pretty severe shunt at Brands. Only he knows, and we cannot possibly testify to the operation of his mind.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 12:30 (Ref:3805209)   #2963
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
To be fair, I think that this was more to do with Plato keeping himself out of the limelight rather than ITV not featuring him. It was obvious, especially towards the end of the season, that he couldn't realistically answer the burning question of why Sutton was out front, and he was acting as a mobile chicane towards the back of the field.

Far better, in those circumstances, to stay out of the way of the cameras. The drivers, if they are not in the leading few, do have the option of not appearing on the TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
JP, according to info I had, chose to lay low. Remember, here's a guy who was genuinely confused - and no doubt upset - as to why he was struggling.

I still suspect that crash affected him mentally - even if he hadn't (possibly hasn't still) realised. I totally lost my mojo after a nasty practice shunt.
I meant more that he didn't really show up during races as he was so far down the order. Unless there's a particularly good battle going on mid-pack, you only tend to see the top 10 cars regularly on screen.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 12:59 (Ref:3805214)   #2964
HCR
Rookie

HCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I think super tourers were doing the 1999 Brands Indy layout in about 0:46 - 0:47
Wasn't Graham Hill Bend faster back then though? It got re-profiled at some point
Old 2 Mar 2018, 13:22 (Ref:3805218)   #2965
CM388
Racer

CM388 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCR View Post
Wasn't Graham Hill Bend faster back then though? It got re-profiled at some point
I believe that was done for the 99 season iirc.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 13:30 (Ref:3805219)   #2966
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
It was a brutal sudden stop... that's the kind that really shakes you up. He broke bones, and I believe that was a first for him.

The spectacular flips and rolls (such as he had at Donnington in the Chevy) dissipate energy so the body (car and driver) don't take one single almighty blow. Compare for example the crash in a rally car that severely injured Robert Kubica - it didn't look much - to his scary F1 accident in Canada.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 13:50 (Ref:3805221)   #2967
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Probably the worst accident since the one on his Seat in 04 at the same location. At least the massive one at Croft in the Vectra was dissipated by hitting Tarquini first!
Old 2 Mar 2018, 14:00 (Ref:3805224)   #2968
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Compare for example the crash in a rally car that severely injured Robert Kubica - it didn't look much - to his scary F1 accident in Canada.
Not sure that's a valid comparison - it wasn't the sudden stop that did the damage in the rally crash - it was the armco penetrating the car. The car was effectively 'kebabed' on the armco - if had been a sudden stop he'd likely have been much better off.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 14:08 (Ref:3805226)   #2969
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Probably the worst accident since the one on his Seat in 04 at the same location. At least the massive one at Croft in the Vectra was dissipated by hitting Tarquini first!
The one that resulted in Watts' car looking like this...

Old 2 Mar 2018, 14:31 (Ref:3805234)   #2970
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
The one that resulted in Watts' car looking like this...

Your picture doesn't seem to be available; certainly not to me, anyway.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 15:11 (Ref:3805256)   #2971
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Your picture doesn't seem to be available; certainly not to me, anyway.
Hrm. OK, try this...

Old 2 Mar 2018, 15:26 (Ref:3805260)   #2972
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Hrm. OK, try this...

Wow. I guess it vaporised into thin air?
Old 2 Mar 2018, 15:33 (Ref:3805262)   #2973
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Hrm. OK, try this...
Works perfectly. Thanks, Graham.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 16:56 (Ref:3805279)   #2974
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It was a brutal sudden stop... that's the kind that really shakes you up. He broke bones, and I believe that was a first for him.

didn't Dan Welch have such brutal accident in GT racing with broken pelvis and back in BTCC at Thuxton he was finally en route for a podium when some TOCA part failed on him

maybe this affects some drivers while others not
Old 2 Mar 2018, 18:57 (Ref:3805293)   #2975
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Question 1. Are we done with anymore announcements before media Day, or just loose ends and liveries then?

Q2.what have been the most surprising and most underwhelming announcements for you so far?

Most surprising for me was the Norlin/The Range sponsor deal. Not sure about the underwhelming announcement was, it's been pretty eventful all silly season with more to come too.