Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Jan 2003, 17:20 (Ref:484745)   #1
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
The New Bernie?

From planet-f1

Gerhard Berger's contract with BMW ends in August and he's given the team hints that he might not continue. So is he thinking of a much bigger job...?
"The car manufacturers know that Bernie is no longer 20 years old - they want to have certainty about the future," he said. "They want to know how a successor is being organised. They want to be certain that the money doesn't disappear which would lead to a situation where the manufacturers are urging for more control."
"We would then have a group in charge of the sport with every member pursuing their own goals. The interests of BMW are different to those of Mercedes. Everyone will look after himself."
"Toyota will be in a different position to Mercedes and Ferrari will pull in another direction. Everyone will do their best to influence the rulemaking to achieve success for his own team."
"I have seen the same situation in touring cars. One manufacturer has front wheel drive another has rear wheel drive; one wants to add 10 kilos at the front, the other 40 kilo at the back. It's difficult to predict how the thing is handled when manufacturers have power."
So instead of having a group of individuals, all with ties to their own manufacturer, a single, independent voice might be best. Berger may be employed by BMW right now, but only Michael Schumacher has driven more races for Ferrari.

The article, in essence, ays that Berger may be the best man for the job as he has worked for all 3 top teams + some more in that past - so as no hidden agenda. I say that he's quite a good candidate on the face of things - certainly young enough to lead F1 for about 20 years when (or maybe if? ) Bernie retires.
Old 24 Jan 2003, 17:30 (Ref:484755)   #2
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I honestly hope no!! I like Berger, he was a good driver (not the best though), he was also a good show-man (that's a minus) but I do strongly doubt his managerial/leader skills. As a matter of facts, love him or hate him, but Bernie is unique. Few (if any) have a longer F1 history. And what troubles me is that actually he is no longer in his 20s. And that really worries me. There isn't a viable successor, and I'm very much afraid that a bunch of accountants (that is, not 1-one, a board of them unable to make decissions all by themselves) will be in charge. And THEN start crying that F1 is dead.

(as a matter of facts, I really wonder if Bernie is still in command. Given the abberations from the last several months.)
Old 24 Jan 2003, 17:30 (Ref:484756)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie (1) with a sense of humour (2) who doesn't worship TGF?

He's got my vote!
Old 24 Jan 2003, 18:11 (Ref:484795)   #4
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That'd be a joke. being the figurehead for a company that desperately wants to be in F1 is one thing, running an entire international series is another.

And before anyone else says it, no Brundle isnt qualified either
Old 24 Jan 2003, 21:12 (Ref:484951)   #5
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me! I'll do it!
Old 24 Jan 2003, 21:44 (Ref:484983)   #6
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People often talk about Bernies successor, but how will it actully work?

Will Bernie still own SLEC, and the successor will be an employee?

Will SLEC be donated to this successor?

Will the successor be required to buy SLEC (so to speak)?

Will the successor set up their own company and the F1 rights get transferred from SLEC to this new company?

Last edited by ParkLife; 24 Jan 2003 at 21:45.
Old 24 Jan 2003, 21:58 (Ref:484999)   #7
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Well, SLEC hold the rights the broadcast F1 for something like the next 99 years, so I doulbt that the rights will be transferred.
I imagine Bernie will stay involved until his death, even though someone will obviously take over well before then. Perhaps he may leave SLEC to the person it's named after, wife Slav Ecclestone.
I feel, however, that we shall never know until the time comes for Bernie to retire and find a successor to run F1.
Old 24 Jan 2003, 22:08 (Ref:485014)   #8
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When Bernie croaks or retires, he'll leave an enormous power vacuum, and he's not going to make any moves to fill it. He thinks he's going to live forever.

I _still_ say Hans Joachim Stuck for FIA President. He's got brass ones the size of melons, he's a true racer, he's done rallying, endurance racing, touring cars, and F1, and he's driven for many manufacturers in his career (Audi, Porsche, BMW, Ford and Alfa-Romeo just off the top of my head).
Old 24 Jan 2003, 22:22 (Ref:485031)   #9
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would imagine FIA president is not nearly as difficult a position to fill.
Old 25 Jan 2003, 00:05 (Ref:485114)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I'd much rather see Berger take Max's position at the FIA, he knows exactly what the drivers want, slicks, nice cars to drive etc.
Old 25 Jan 2003, 01:43 (Ref:485184)   #11
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
**** ANYBODY could do either job!!
Old 25 Jan 2003, 01:44 (Ref:485186)   #12
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No, i wouldn't trust Charlie Manson to do that job...
Old 25 Jan 2003, 02:07 (Ref:485195)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Logrence
Me! I'll do it!
Me too!!
Old 25 Jan 2003, 09:16 (Ref:485349)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is this a sign that we have to put up with endless, baseless speculation on what Berger is going to do?

I'm not sure Berger would want it (this is baseless speculation ). He seems to laid back for it.
Old 25 Jan 2003, 10:29 (Ref:485385)   #15
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has just reminded me - isn't Max going to go in the next couple of years?
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 25 Jan 2003, 11:49 (Ref:485449)   #16
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We could have a Berniestars competition on the telly, and people from all over the world audition and have to show how menacing and powerful they are, whilst simultaneously juggling fire and dancing on hot coals! The winner gets a years contract with SLEC...killer idea!
Old 25 Jan 2003, 12:00 (Ref:485463)   #17
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Who would judge? Anne Robinson, Simon Cowell, Jacques Villeneuve, Eddie Irvine...
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 25 Jan 2003, 13:42 (Ref:485519)   #18
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Max's replacement

Quote:
Originally posted by nicholaswhite
This has just reminded me - isn't Max going to go in the next couple of years?
He has said he is not going to stand re-election to be FIA president when the electons come around in 2/3 years. Last year he nominated Alan Donnelly as his 'official representive' - ex MEP with quite a lot of credentials. This was announced at Imola to much surprise, and there was a lot of gossip as to his 'real' purpose- and the idea is that he is being groomed by Max to take over the presidency. Of course, as ever, we will see!

Last edited by Asp; 25 Jan 2003 at 13:48.
Old 25 Jan 2003, 16:14 (Ref:485620)   #19
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I, personally, don't see a need to worry. All that money he's been draining from F1 is actually funding a secret technologies base which is currently being fired up and will suck the lifeblood from viewers. The initial Pay TV F1 arrangement was a test run and it proved unable to provide enough souls. So they're hoping to integrate the soul stealing technology into PC's. Apparantly B.Gates is interested in integrating it into the next Windows in exchange for a 55% cut on the souls.

This is not speculation. Beware the PC with 'satan inside' on the box... Intel's supplying the hardware for all this.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 25 Jan 2003, 16:58 (Ref:485636)   #20
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
They could put the "Berniestars" competition on Bernievision to fill up spare air time between races.