Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Feb 2007, 09:34 (Ref:1835239)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Am I right in thinking Donington was sold yesterday

are the new owners Historic friendly? Hope so as maybe someone like HSCC could organise a 6 hour race there!
Old 7 Feb 2007, 09:51 (Ref:1835254)   #2
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand a new lease was signed last week-to a new leaseholder- who appears to be content with the motor sport continuing as is but is looking to further develop other areas/activities at Donington.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 09:51 (Ref:1835255)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, it was on the news saying that the new owners were going to improve the facilities (predictable announcement that though!)!

An HSCC 6 hour race is an excellent idea, Simon.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 09:54 (Ref:1835259)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's here.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 10:48 (Ref:1835319)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
interesting

I still theink the F1 GP should be at Brands
Old 7 Feb 2007, 11:25 (Ref:1835347)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think Mr Palmer agrees
Old 7 Feb 2007, 13:08 (Ref:1835422)   #7
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
I still think the F1 GP should be at Brands
That would be one race less for me at Brands then.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 22:59 (Ref:1835839)   #8
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hall
I understand a new lease was signed last week-to a new leaseholder- who appears to be content with the motor sport continuing as is but is looking to further develop other areas/activities at Donington.
My understanding is that they are much more positive about motorsport than "content" might suggest.

I think that this could well be the shot in the arm (kick in the ****?) and injection of cash which Donington so badly needs.

Regards

Jim
Old 8 Feb 2007, 09:25 (Ref:1836088)   #9
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hall
BBC news reported it as Donington had been sold, but they then said it was a similar agreement to the previous one which was some kind of lease agreement covering the running of the circuit.

Sounds like it is just another lease agreement and the ownership remains unchanged? Which isn't how it was reported.
Old 8 Feb 2007, 10:55 (Ref:1836171)   #10
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My understanding is that the position was:

Tom Wheatcroft owned the freehold to the whole estate but sold a 20 (25?) year lease to a group which then sold that to SFX/ Clear Channel (which operated under the Live Nation name). That lease was only to the land within the existing "concrete boundary wall". No museum, no exhibition centre, no Sunday market area and none of the surrounding land. TW had no involvement in the operation of the lease.

And that the position is:

TW retains the freehold but has sold a 150 year lease to a company which has him (and son Kevin) having some involvement. Gillett/Lee are the owners/managers of the lease. The lease now includes everything, all the land, the museum, the exhibition centre, the Melbourne loop, Sunday market, the lot.

So that gives them much greater freedom to develop things. Now if only TW had not upset the planning authorities at every step - things might be easier!

Regards

Jim
Old 9 Feb 2007, 12:46 (Ref:1837300)   #11
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Wait unil the Masters team buys it!