Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Jun 2007, 13:12 (Ref:1930245)   #26
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
current weather forecast for Snetteron on Saturday is a big fried egg and 24 degrees - Persols definately will be worn!
I thought you where more of a Ray-Ban man ?

shame the race isn't a little later then you'd get arc eye from the low sun !!!
Old 6 Jun 2007, 18:26 (Ref:1930502)   #27
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Lotus 7 is on list so assume special invite.Its a good grid and hope they all have correct width tyres on the Chevrons!Will visit and even pay at the gate
or we get have a late entry.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 19:57 (Ref:1930599)   #28
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
I thought you where more of a Ray-Ban man ?

shame the race isn't a little later then you'd get arc eye from the low sun !!!
.......and a ready made excuse not to see the flag signals!!!!!!
Old 7 Jun 2007, 07:02 (Ref:1930939)   #29
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
weather forecast - rain tomorrow with thunder at lunchtime, saturday possible rain - the race is a very open one if that is the case..... John give us a fighting chance and enter the Talbot!!
Old 7 Jun 2007, 07:25 (Ref:1930954)   #30
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon,I have to pop up to Siverstone Saturday morning,but was thinking about coming over to Snett just for a look,you wont through anything at me if I come and say hello?
Old 7 Jun 2007, 07:31 (Ref:1930960)   #31
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Simon,I have to pop up to Siverstone Saturday morning,but was thinking about coming over to Snett just for a look,you wont through anything at me if I come and say hello?
definately come and say hello - we will be easy to spot as Terry Van der Zee (my co driver) will have brought it up in his coach which is called El Sid and has a painting of a Surtees F1 car on the side along with his company, TT Motors - what have you lot done with the weather... I gather East Anglia is the worst UK weather this weekend....!!
Old 7 Jun 2007, 08:20 (Ref:1931003)   #32
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry about the weather,thats why I,m going up to Silverstone[in the hope it will follow me].See you Saturday.
Old 8 Jun 2007, 09:07 (Ref:1932042)   #33
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
East Anglia-weather -rain ,thunder, etc etc today1" rain expected
Rain and sunny periods tommorow
Ideal for Talbot
Late entry
Old 8 Jun 2007, 09:26 (Ref:1932055)   #34
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Just spoke to SWD racing . . . its nailing it down at Snett this morning, so he let off the ARB's and send Terry out in the car !!!
Old 9 Jun 2007, 07:04 (Ref:1932948)   #35
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Suns out in East Anglia.
Boys do 14's in testing in B8,lets see how good they are
Old 9 Jun 2007, 17:34 (Ref:1933290)   #36
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pictures from Snetterton today

http://www.gbgtr2.co.uk/8801.html?cc...img=16#gallery

Judy Lyons, Gurney Eagle FA

http://www.gbgtr2.co.uk/8801.html?cc...img=17#gallery

Jaguar E Type/Chevron B8/

http://www.gbgtr2.co.uk/8801.html?cc...img=18#gallery

Collecting area for historic roadsports.

http://www.gbgtr2.co.uk/8801.html?cc...img=19#gallery

Shaun Lynn Ford GT40

http://www.gbgtr2.co.uk/8801.html?cc...img=20#gallery

Ginetta G16

Pete

Last edited by petestenning; 9 Jun 2007 at 17:38.
Old 9 Jun 2007, 19:16 (Ref:1933399)   #37
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice piccies Pete.

Just watching the Watkins Glen 6 hours GT race live over here in the USA on Speed Channel.

Nice prelude to Le Mans.

Awesome.

Paula Hamilton
Old 9 Jun 2007, 22:23 (Ref:1933532)   #38
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well that was an excellent first day to this meeting. Great weather, some good racing and an excellent entry for the Autosport 3 hours. Looking forward to tomorrow. I will put some pics up ..... eventually, but I've still not finished a couple of earlier events and I'm off to Le Mans on thursday, so I crave your patience. Maybe we can persuade Pete, and others to post some more pics, and maybe give a bit of a review/report; you know the form, folks!
Old 11 Jun 2007, 11:08 (Ref:1933828)   #39
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Second day excellent too, with some fine dices for the lead in several of the races. Seemed to be a pretty good spectator turn out as well. We lost a lot of data on 10-Tenths overnight, so if anyone posted comments about the meeting on here, aince my last post, I hope that you can find the time to repeat it!
Old 11 Jun 2007, 11:40 (Ref:1933873)   #40
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I spent a very pleasant day with Simon&Sarah Diffey,Simon was in with Jeremy Cottingham in one of the many B8s,4th O/all i think.One thing that did strike me was at the number of people who had clearly not read the Final Instructions though.Refueling especialy seemed to be a bit dissorganized to say the least! Two pit road fires mainly caused by not using the correct equipment when refueling,it was quite fortunate that no one was injured.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 11:54 (Ref:1933894)   #41
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Sorry we didn't meet up, Terence. Interesting point about the refuelling; I'm sure this is an issue the organisers intend to re-address for next time. However, all in all, the 3 hours was a success, considering that this is the first time that it has been run for many years, and there were loads of positives to take away from it.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 12:32 (Ref:1933942)   #42
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
No dought we,ll meet sooner or later John,I hope I did not seem too negative in my earlier comments,when it comes to very hot surfaces/fuel you can,t take too many precautions !.Overall it was a tremendous success,I was fortunate enough to have competed in the last Groveair 3hr,fantastic fun!.I spoke to Graham White on Saturday,of course the subject of a six hour was raised,possibly on the Silverstone Gp,he did not totally poo-hoo the idea!.Any idea where the lone MGB finished only I could not stop till the end. I did have the dubious pleasure of meeting Mr Drabble though.!!!
Old 11 Jun 2007, 12:41 (Ref:1933952)   #43
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A great weekend, some lovely cars out there. In the Derek Bell Trophy, I am pretty certain we had the largest gathering of F5000 cars at Snetterton since the 1970s ( 8 of them - pretty good for here considering the circuit's stupid noise restrictions, hence huge silencers! ). The FJ's, FFs and saloons had large fields and terrific racing.

GT40 chassis no 1025 of Shaun Lynn.

Simon Drabble's Merlyn.

Lots of cars in period livery, such as John Monson's VDS B28 driven by Simon Diffey.

Lincoln Small's BT30

Judy Lyons in the Gurney Eagle

Paul Dukes in his FF2000 Reynard, in family livery as was when they sponsored David Leslie in the class.

David Crowther's BT18

My old mate Richard Trott with his F3 B43

Richard's arch rival, Keith White in RT1

Keith's message to Trotty!

Hugh Price in the ex-Warwick B38

Paul Wyeth's 793

Tim Barry's T102 which broke something and did not race.

Chris Dinnage of Team Lotus in his FJ Lotus 20, spannered by Bob Dance. A huge field of 37 FJs!

Albert Clements Lotus 69.

Galaxie 500.

F2 Tecno of Daniel Pyatt, son of ex-racer Geoff Pyatt.

Superb display of classics by the local 'Norwich Classic Vehicle Club'

The Jon Shipman/Mark Hales Crossle Mk9

The Jeremy Cottingham/Simon Diffey B8

Baron Shrigley-Feigl's T300s

Three T300s present

Former Caterham racer Nelson Rowe. Unbeatable in the second FF race in his Crossle 20F, just won the first race after 20mins of side-by-side racing with Neil Fowler's T200, which ended with an off for Fowler at the Esses on the last lap after contact ( cue John T for action sequence!)

Double DBT winner Frank Lyons (T332) in pole in the assembly area.

Mike Scott's Martin.

Saloons go out to battle
Old 11 Jun 2007, 12:45 (Ref:1933956)   #44
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Excelent photos Andrew,perfect light for once at our beloved circuit.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 13:10 (Ref:1933991)   #45
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I found the driving standards right through the field were excellent. As organisers, we've learnt some lessons on refuelling procedures and pit stops generally - the major one being to brief the pit crews direct rather than just a drivers briefing.
We're very optimistic about it becoming an annual event.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 13:34 (Ref:1934008)   #46
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
John T, further to our discussion, the 'Autosport 3 hour' race was last held as I thought, at the 2001 AMOC meeting at Snetterton on June 23rd. This was the Snett 50th anniversary meeting, the race won by Hadfield & Schryver in their B16. I recall the Pearson's Lister parked by the 'Archie' plaque on the old scrute shed for the entire weekend and Classic Team Lotus provided an F1 display of TL, GLTL, JPS and Camel F1 cars in the paddock.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 14:03 (Ref:1934033)   #47
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yes, you are right, Andrew; I was there. Still, it was 6 years ago, and of course, different organisers. Hadfield and Schryver, as you say, won then, too, but I'm not sure that the B16 would have been eligible this time, since it was a 1969 car and HSCC have set a cut off date of 31/12/1968. Interesting, that in 2001 with the B16, they did a best lap of 1.16.112 (according to Kev's programme notes) and last Saturday, in the B6, a best of 1.16.550. I'm not sure whether the track is faster now, though. It was a stronger field this Saturday, too, with amogst other cars, several B8s, a GT40, a Crossle Mk9, and Elva Mk7S of Martin Stretton and Malcolm Clubbe which I was hoping would get amongst them but unfortunately had transmission failure after 44 laps. Martin had put it on the front row alongside the B6.

In answer to Terence's question, the Bond/Fell MGB did finish the race in 21st position. I also understand from Leigh Trevail, that The Peter Swinger Memorial Trophy, awarded by Swinger's widow, Kay, for the driver of the race who best displayed the competitive spirit of her late husband, was given to Karl Wetherell who finished 18th in his Triumph TR4.

Last edited by John Turner; 11 Jun 2007 at 14:10.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 14:14 (Ref:1934050)   #48
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Thank,s John,just curious because it was the second drivers third race,in that case I think they did rather well..JohnG,does this mean I,ll have to invest in something a bit quicker,or will next years event not have so many sports/racers? in regard to the refuelling ,yes that is a better idea,one other observation was of at least two drivers unfastening harnesses before they had actually stopped,now I know all about the adrenaline thing ,but those drivers should have known better,one was actually reminded of the reg,s.

Last edited by terence; 11 Jun 2007 at 14:19.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 14:27 (Ref:1934063)   #49
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Terence, as a spectator, I'd say we need more sports racers, not less; no criticism implied of sports cars, as I love to see them, too, but, again, as a spectator, I see plenty of races for them, and not enough for sports racers!
Old 11 Jun 2007, 14:36 (Ref:1934067)   #50
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
JohnG,does this mean I,ll have to invest in something a bit quicker,or will next years event not have so many sports/racers? in regard to the refuelling ,yes that is a better idea,one other observation was of at least two drivers unfastening harnesses before they had actually stopped,now I know all about the adrenaline thing ,but those drivers should have known better,one was actually reminded of the reg,s.
I'd like to think that we'll attract a bigger entry next year, so there may be even more! Pity I didn't know about the 'early' unfastening of belts - just the sort of thing the 'stop & go' penalties were made for and we're looking at creative ways of having more pit marshals to police these things better next time - otherwise it's like trying to round up cats!