Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Jul 2007, 18:17 (Ref:1961812)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
At the risk of being forever banned from the "club" (no change I race a Dagenham Donkey) I would not allow Marcus Pye anywhere near my car. He's so far up his own rear end even if you introduce yourself he ignores you. (Or should that be "one"?).

I recently met Simon H and what a nice guy. Talks sense and certainly can drive. But I knew that anyway.

Warning, what follows is a rant and does not necessarily represent the opinions of Ten-Tenths.
(To be honest, it probably doesn't even represent the opinions of the poster when they aren't ranting.)

There are some extremely good pedallers out there who maybe don't get the recognition due to their propensity to race with the wrong club.

We now return you to our normal ramblings.

As a f'rinstance David Thomas is seriously quick and can drive anything with rear wheel power. Norman Ricketts, who apart from being quick, is one of the nicest guys in racing today.

Our own Anglia pedaller Gordon Streeter is not without talent (and hair of course).

So although this post is slightly off topic, the owners would do well to lok beyond the "club" or headlines and seek out those who can drive.

Of course Whizzo, Tony Dron etc. are excluded from this particular rant.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 18:30 (Ref:1961819)   #27
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Marcus,Simon ,Michael S all one club Peter.You can't have one without the other.They are very,very serious
Reasonable rant but question some of the ideas as at least two others you mention should be in the Olympic gymnastic team and always buy themselvesc a mirror for Chrismas
Old 12 Jul 2007, 18:31 (Ref:1961822)   #28
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Tony Dron , also because i co-own the Ginetta G15 that he and his brother owned many years ago.

I also remember seeing Willie Green in a Lotus 47 on the original club circuit and i will never forget the sight and sound of that absolute magic.

Pete

Last edited by petestenning; 12 Jul 2007 at 18:35.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 18:39 (Ref:1961827)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
John, you've lost me, Olympic team Mirrors?

Respecting Marcus' capabilities I'm afraid he's an ass and if I had a car he would like to drive, I'd ask him to look elsewhere.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 18:59 (Ref:1961852)   #30
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Thought they would need the flexibility to conform with your ideas kissing their own ar... and several of them luv theirselves thus the mirror
Old 12 Jul 2007, 19:09 (Ref:1961864)   #31
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm looking to get into Historics. I'm 22 and finding the right car for a tight budget is hard. I've never had the chance to seriously compete in karting or single seaters and I know I wouldnt be able to make a career from it.
I wish I had the background to be able to get a decent historic to race myself but I don't. I would be happy just taking someone's pride and joy out and hand it back to them in one piece.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 19:14 (Ref:1961870)   #32
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think Marcus is OK myself i would be happy for him to have a run out in fact he had one with the PBMW's and Pre-93's at Combe and seemed fine. We organised with Autosport and Falken Tyres a whole test day a few years back and he drove a lot of our guys (ModProds at the time) cars and he was very good quite unlike some other well known gentleman (no names sorry, but middle nickname something like CarBreaker) that took over from the very sympathic (car wise) jorno Art Marcos (spelling?)who also did several sessions for us at CCC magazine and was excellent.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 02:15 (Ref:1962070)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Thought they would need the flexibility to conform with your ideas kissing their own ar... and several of them luv theirselves thus the mirror
Hmm,

I really think you perhaps don't know David, Norman or Gordon but if you refer to Tony or Barrie W then you surprise me, I've always found them to be friendly and polite. I only met Simon recently and found him to be very interesting and down to earth.

I apologise for taking this off topic BTW.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 05:41 (Ref:1962117)   #34
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Correct,dont know David,Norman or Gordon.Marcus has driven my cars (very steady)and is no problem unless you want papers,Known Tony D since 73 and
is a good bloke.Does that help sort my reply
Old 13 Jul 2007, 05:52 (Ref:1962119)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ah,

Got it.

But I beg to differ.

You should really talk to the other three though. I've no doubt they'll be at Spa this year.

But I guess that is the point of this thread after all. Why pay a "celebrity" when there are some really good solid and capable drivers who would jump at the chance to drive a special car.

Dave Axisa once told me that he drives with someone in Gentlemen Drivers and once asked what his liability would be if he returned to the owner "a pile of poo" after a race.

Conjured up a picture that I really didn't want to see.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 07:08 (Ref:1962145)   #36
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We seem to be going a bit off track here.My point/question was aimed at the Unknown Imports,not our established Drivers,Tony is a good friend,regular lunch ,beer tasting etc,Simon ect ,they do not charge ridiculous amounts and they will actually" bring it back alive".What promted the original post was that "A" driver was brought in from a far off country and obviously could,nt drive a soapy stick-------.He managed two retirments through not feeling/knowing what the car was telling him! That,s the sort of thing i,m on about.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 07:12 (Ref:1962147)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It sort of follows on from your point though. Why bring in said forrinner when we have talent locally who are ignored because perhaps they don't run in the "right" series/club?
Old 13 Jul 2007, 07:18 (Ref:1962150)   #38
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
increasingly I find myself agreeing with JR which I find worrying as it must mean I am turning into a grumpy old man as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Marcus I have to tell you is a good bloke and capable of having a good laugh at both himself and others. SH is very talented - has he ever smiled? All the Schryver pack are very friendly as well as very good drivers and the two occassions that I have met Tony Dron I have found him to be good company as well as clearly a talented driver. Some drivers can have the tendency to think that they are a living legend....
Old 13 Jul 2007, 07:44 (Ref:1962160)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Simon,

I agree re Tony etc. and indeed I wasn't suggesting they should be ignored. My point is that Terry asked why import a forrinner? And I agree, when we have some very good guys racing but they don't get recognition because of the cars they race or the club they belong to.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 08:00 (Ref:1962169)   #40
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

If an owner wants to let a prat drive his car he can,its his money.his decision
The problem is when the said driver effects others in the race or practise and costs others money due to no fault of their own.
Welcome to the club Simon and we will soon catch Peter
S H spends to much time with Frank,
Old 13 Jul 2007, 08:04 (Ref:1962171)   #41
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Welcome to the club Simon and we will soon catch Peter
Old 13 Jul 2007, 08:31 (Ref:1962183)   #42
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
O.K,I,ll admit to doing the 6 hr one year,three drivers,one I knew to be "steady"[too much so].The other came over from NZ especially for the event,I did not pay,he paid his way.The result was that he lost it on two occaisions,the car was beaten to buggery,it cost me a lot in time/money to put it right,oh,and I got one lap cos he,d shagged the box/clutch.It just amazes me that people have to look elsewhere for thier drivers!.[The offending driver did not offer to help in anyway] hence the question,why do these prats not take a bit of pride in the cars they are entrusted in.?

Last edited by terence; 13 Jul 2007 at 08:33.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 08:38 (Ref:1962189)   #43
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ah,

Different point.

If they've come over from a long way away then its unlikely they'll be around for retribution so they don't bother.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 09:56 (Ref:1962245)   #44
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Yeah but ,no but,there is still the matter of drivers who are from this Island who have the same outlook on these thing,s.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 10:33 (Ref:1962282)   #45
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Yeah but ,no but,
Too much Little Britain.

I take your point and also agree with John Ruston (oops) in that it is up to the owners.

I have shared my car with others and we came to an agreement as to who is responsible for what in advance. As it happens the last time, the car suffered an unforeseen bout of unreliabilty so I refunded the co driver some of his share. It works both ways.

But that is the point I guess, get thimgs agreed up front then you can't complain. I should point out that I felt honour bound to refund the driver, it wasn't in any agreement.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 10:36 (Ref:1962284)   #46
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
increasingly I find myself agreeing with JR which I find worrying as it must mean I am turning into a grumpy old man as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think we already assumed that you were a grumpy young man, Simon! Any riposte, John?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
SH is very talented - has he ever smiled?
Err, yes, often, and he is extremely hospitable with it. I agree he looks pretty stern once in the cockpit, though, but that is, I guess, because he is focusing on the task ahead!
Old 13 Jul 2007, 11:14 (Ref:1962317)   #47
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry I'm late, some of us have had to do some work this week!

I think I'm probably one of the younger historic racers, with the exception of a few offspring of racers, and as a car builder/prepper also I have the mechanical sympathy/knowledge to bring a car home safely

Its a great privelidge to get to race historic cars, and something I have to work darn hard at to be able to afford to enter let alone compete, so the idea of paying a driver just doesn't exist, even if I could afford it. To My mind it should be a gentlemans sport/hobby and as such general conduct should be gentlemanly as well, although in some cases it clearly is not.

I've just had a dissapointing but entirely understandable email from a long since retired professional all rounder who achieved more in his career than anyone mentioned here thus far I think, at no time was money even mentioned. had we teamed up it would have been purely for the pleasure. Thats the way it should be.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 12:14 (Ref:1962361)   #48
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Younger!
Old 13 Jul 2007, 12:29 (Ref:1962384)   #49
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I only mentioned it so you don't forget its my birthday soon

I'm still going uphill be the way !
Old 13 Jul 2007, 12:44 (Ref:1962403)   #50
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
So ,who,s pushing you,