Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 12 Jul 2007, 13:27 (Ref:1961577)   #26
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Well yes,not ALL of them.
You'll have to share them with me one day, think I'm old enough to hear them all now!!
Old 12 Jul 2007, 13:38 (Ref:1961588)   #27
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
James if you cast your mind back to the days when Carol ran GD and Gregor Fisken and JCB sponsored it there was an open door policy at their suite. I remember going to the suite for lunch before I started racing with them and ended up buying a car from Gregor and then running it in GD.
I gather that Masters' competing series run a similar policy......
Old 12 Jul 2007, 13:55 (Ref:1961595)   #28
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Well as one of the old buggers can I comment on the long races? Self funded with no help whatsoever I find it hard enough to put together the £175 for a 10 lapper and at 4 or 5mpg the petrol as well plus the tanks in my cars are nowhere near big enough. Do you know how much some of these entrance fees are Gregor, it would make your eyes water I tell you. IMHO much better to enter the Post Historics then a second discounted race in Group 1 especially as nearly all the meeting feature all races. That has the added advantage if you throw it in one race (or if like me at the last round Silverstone both, duh) you get a 2nd pop and at our level (well mine at least) that has to be good. I also like the starts and the build ups and the quallies so I would much rather do two shorter races than one long with all the eggs in one basket.
Quote:

PS just to get it back on topic, what would they make of me as i do all my own mechanics and have the dirty finger nails to prove it and can 'f' and blind with the best of them, that'll confuse 'em.

Al, I completely agree and I really like the CTCRC and it's perfect for me now and I extol it's virtues to the people I know in the other championships and anyone else I can!! I would just like to do some longer races in the future. I know that the average Masters race is £450ish and that maybe is too steep for me at the moment, I am self-funded too remember and I earn less than £25k a year and have a mortgage to pay, but this is my life-long ambition and I will put whatever money I have and sell whatever I can to carry on with it. To be honest, Silverstone cost me the same to do three 12 lap races but that was a special thing for me because of it being where Dad passed away, I doubt I'll be able to enter the PH and Gp1 races at the other events but we'll see, depends on discounts and grids and you know I feel the same way as you about Croft and Pembrey.

It really is swings and roundabouts and I completely get why you and some of the other guys in the CTCRC prefer the shorter races, I'm just starting out and am itching to spend as much time behind the wheel as possible and like the idea of a longer race and don’t understand why the CTCRC don’t do one a season but then I’m a newbie!!

I’m lucky at the moment that I have 2 or 3 very loyal people who are willing to come with me and help me but I am more than happy to get my hands dirty, have you seen how my car looked 10 months ago?! If I couldn’t get the people who have helped into a hospitality thing I wouldn’t bother, as without them and any other mechanics we wouldn’t be racing in the first place. I’ve not experienced how this is manifesting itself in this “certain” series but I think a few people have short memories and forget where they started themselves and possibly how scruffy they where once!!
Old 12 Jul 2007, 14:00 (Ref:1961601)   #29
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
There are various opinins on that
I heard the answer was a yes but I'm not sure if sincle seaters count!!
Old 12 Jul 2007, 14:09 (Ref:1961609)   #30
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Raise it at the AGM Gregor and see how it goes down. At the end of the day its about filling a grid so if enough will commit who knows.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 14:21 (Ref:1961618)   #31
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer
Well, if it's the race series I think we are talking about (nudge,nudge, wink wink - if it's not, ignore what i'm writing below!) then it's also a race series for which i am a driver's representative (a post that I volunteered for, I hasten to add, since I hate whinging about stuff but not doing anything about it!)!!

I can heartily sympathise with your point of view, especially as I am not hugely wealthy, and race entry fees take up a lot of my spare cash, what little is not taken up by my mechanical bills not to mention the wife!

Also, my mechanic is a good friend of mine, and usually chenges out of his overalls and into a jacket when he's finished working on the car. Indeed, he usually looks smarter than me, the messy driver with 'helmet hairdo' and sweaty race suit!!

But.....and I am really trying to be devil's advocate here, I can see that at a lot of the race meetings I have attended this season, there have been a lot of 'non-series' personnel, hangers-on, members of the public, sneaking in for their free lunch, drinks, etc. My argument would be, let mechanics in, but make sure that passes and entry restrictions are properly implemented, albeit with a smile!!

I would also say that you could always try writing to your driver's representative or direct ot the series to make your feelings felt.

Regards,

James
Interestingly there isn't a rep for 70's saloons.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 14:37 (Ref:1961633)   #32
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Raise it at the AGM Gregor and see how it goes down. At the end of the day its about filling a grid so if enough will commit who knows.
I've sent an exploraty note to one of our esteemed committee members for advice and depending on response I'll take further as I don't want to be weeing in the wind. Cheers Al.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 16:39 (Ref:1961735)   #33
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
I don't understand ,what are the series being taked about although I assume the Ron and Chis roadshow must be involved and who is dad?
Old 12 Jul 2007, 16:50 (Ref:1961742)   #34
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"Dad" is the late Gerry Marshall.

The series? If the thread starter wishes to keep it quiet I suppose we need to respect that, but you make a good point so I think we are discussing the Masters series which came in for similar criticism in the Brands Hatch discussion in May.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 17:24 (Ref:1961773)   #35
Finn
Racer

Finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if you race with the nice guys at the HSCC, you get free bacon butties and afternoon tea in their marque for both driver and mechanic
Old 12 Jul 2007, 17:54 (Ref:1961794)   #36
daj
Racer

daj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the first time I have been on this site for ages and what a surprise!!! The same reason that has pi@@ed me off so much about historic motorsport at the moment and its the hot topic!!

Beens as the ******s kicked my dad out at Brands hatch for being a dirty greasy smelly foul mouthed mechanic I would suggest its our beloved MASTERS ?!?!

And to rub insult into it...I keep getting desperate plea`s for entries from then..What a surprise!! Its all greed !! .

What happened to the Goodwood sprint? Like I said back when it was first posted..Who is going to pay £250 for a sprint?

Rant over...Yes I think I need to go to anger managment

Best regards

daj
Old 12 Jul 2007, 17:59 (Ref:1961796)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Wonder if Julius had a buyout clause?
Old 12 Jul 2007, 17:59 (Ref:1961798)   #38
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Can we start a Gerry Marshall thread who was a proper bloke and driver.I remember a Silverstone F2 race that was stopped due to rain and he took us round the circuit spinning at will at every corner straight from the beer tent at the end of the paddock,and then the road roller in the beer tent etc.etc60's and all that...He was due to drive the Alta if we could fit him in it!
Old 12 Jul 2007, 18:51 (Ref:1961841)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
John,

Start away, no need to ask, just put it in the Racing History forum. Sadly.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 18:56 (Ref:1961846)   #40
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a fond memory of Gerry at Snett,4Pints,Chicken Curry,Lets go and win this one,And he did.!!Peeing down,Bomb Hole ,Misted Screen Needs wiping with the back off the hand[whilst on full opposite].All this in Baby Berther,Now thats what I call Driving!!!
Old 12 Jul 2007, 18:57 (Ref:1961848)   #41
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Wonder if Julius had a buyout clause?

I hope not!!!
Old 12 Jul 2007, 19:31 (Ref:1961893)   #42
awseng
Rookie

Scotland
awseng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

not wishing disrespect, but would like to see the original question discussed, as much as we all love beer rugby how tall we are and not forgetting dear ole Gerry god rest his sole.
I was asking a responce to what i believe to be discrimination, so the seiries is sort of irrelevant.
I like to think I and my guys run a fairly proffesional outfit are reasonably presented (trust me I spend enough on team kit each year), enjoy what we do, so to that matter I like to think our customers enjoy what we do. Its not an issue of us trying to grab free grub, we have several customers at these meetings all paying for hospitality, giving the tickets to my guys, so I dont have to go buy greasy burgers with no F***** onions then put my 10% on (sadly I'm in business tooo) for something they already pay for.
In this PC world we live in could they get away with it if one of my guys was shall we say challenged in any way either phisical or mental; or any other way you may wish think of???????
Old 12 Jul 2007, 19:42 (Ref:1961903)   #43
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I would say provided they (the mechanics) had the right pass and adhered to any dress code impossed like no greasy overalls and maybe having a degrease first which I would of thought most would without having to be asked the organisers must allow entrance in fact how would they then know they were mechanics. I think in fairness in a situation like this the mechanics should also be prepared to make the effort there are after all hot water and even showers at most circuits. If they want to go in dripping of grease (unlikely) then the organisers surely have a point.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 19:47 (Ref:1961906)   #44
awseng
Rookie

Scotland
Quote:
I would say provided they (the mechanics) had the right pass and adhered to any dress code impossed like no greasy overalls and maybe having a degrease first which I would of thought most would without having to be asked the organisers must allow entrance in fact how would they then know they were mechanics. I think in fairness in a situation like this the mechanics should also be prepared to make the effort there are after all hot water and even showers at most circuits. If they want to go in dripping of grease (unlikely) then the organisers surely have a point.
I like to think my guys do make an effort, they represent us themselves and me. If Sir Stirling is happy to share a table with them think they must scrub fairly well.
I thank you for your reponse
(sorry bout the name droppin!!!)
Old 12 Jul 2007, 20:01 (Ref:1961914)   #45
daj
Racer

daj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
if one of my guys was shall we say challenged in any way either phisical or mental; or any other way you may wish think of???????
Thats got to be debatable!?!?
Old 12 Jul 2007, 20:04 (Ref:1961915)   #46
awseng
Rookie

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by daj
Thats got to be debatable!?!?
you should know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12 Jul 2007, 21:16 (Ref:1961947)   #47
rpj
Rookie

rpj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're not worthy?

As I said in the post that has since disappeared, " I felt I was asked to leave the hospitality at Brands more because I was a mechanic more than anything else, when I produced the right pass I was told I could come back in the evening". Even though I was in there as a guest of a client, I felt I was targetted by Bernie, whoops sorry, Ron as I am known by him. As one of the "foul mouth, dirty greasy mechanics" I will stick to the greasy burgers in future, and I am just glad that I did not pay the full supscription for the Top Hat series that I support as a entrant/mechanic as I would be subsidising something I could not use. Just remember you drivers out there if it was not for us "foul mouth, greasy mechanics" some of you would not out there playing with your toys.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 21:23 (Ref:1961953)   #48
awseng
Rookie

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpj
As I said in the post that has since disappeared, " I felt I was asked to leave the hospitality at Brands more because I was a mechanic more than anything else, when I produced the right pass I was told I could come back in the evening". Even though I was in there as a guest of a client, I felt I was targetted by Bernie, whoops sorry, Ron as I am known by him. As one of the "foul mouth, dirty greasy mechanics" I will stick to the greasy burgers in future, and I am just glad that I did not pay the full supscription for the Top Hat series that I support as a entrant/mechanic as I would be subsidising something I could not use. Just remember you drivers out there if it was not for us "foul mouth, greasy mechanics" some of you would not out there playing with your toys.
percy,just remember Monaco 2002 how short some peoples memories are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12 Jul 2007, 21:34 (Ref:1961957)   #49
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Lets be honest there has always been a lot of snobbery associated with this sport and probably always will be unfortunately. Personally I have no time for any of it. If the guys had fullfilled the criteria as has been said then thats it they should be made welcome, if not allowed in then its just down right snobbery and elitism and should not be tolerated in 2007.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 21:41 (Ref:1961964)   #50
awseng
Rookie

Scotland
Quote:
Lets be honest there has always been a lot of snobbery associated with this sport and probably always will be unfortunately. Personally I have no time for any of it. If the guys had fullfilled the criteria as has been said then thats it they should be made welcome, if not allowed in then its just down right snobbery and elitism and should not be tolerated in 2007.
Al
hear hear!!!
if only we were half the man (and woman ....PC dont forget)we thought we were!!
my wife said if she had know it was that easy she'd of stopped me coming home years ago!!!!
Oh Sh!t
Closed Thread