Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 12 Jul 2007, 23:51 (Ref:1962039)   #51
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
..that was kind o my point from earlier.

I don't think anyone should be excluded from hospitality area, provided that:

a. The hospitality pass presented, is paid for (either directly, or indirectly via race entry fees) - I'm sure none of us particularly like the idea of our already large entry fees being used to subsidise someone else's team personnel or hangers on). Organisers understandably have to budget and supply food for a set number of people, so I can kind of understand that they may not feel too chuffed when 300 extra people turn up for lunch.

b. They conform to acceptable standards of dress and behaviour.

Personally, I ranted a few months ago at the emerging state of hostoric racing, with far too many 'new' people seemingly doing it for the social kudos. Presumably some people only feel special when someone else is excluded from something! Not the reason why I went historic racing 10 years ago, but sadly those people are becoming more prevalent in our sport. Personally, I think Goodwood may have contributed to it with all the various levels of access to an event.

Remember (not so very long ago) when huge race transporters and roped off areas were the extreme exception, not the norm in historic motorsport?

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
I would say provided they (the mechanics) had the right pass and adhered to any dress code impossed like no greasy overalls and maybe having a degrease first which I would of thought most would without having to be asked the organisers must allow entrance in fact how would they then know they were mechanics. I think in fairness in a situation like this the mechanics should also be prepared to make the effort there are after all hot water and even showers at most circuits. If they want to go in dripping of grease (unlikely) then the organisers surely have a point.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 07:07 (Ref:1962144)   #52
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
James
I hardly think some salad and coffee is going to make much difference to the budget!! I keep coming back to the same comment - when Gregor and Carol ran GD there was an open house policy and I reckon that was one of the things that made the series so successful. I agree with the comments above so long as spanners tidy up before coming in and everyone regardless of position within the team dont abuse the system it should be an open house policy. To be honest the drivers who are sensitive about mixing with the great unwashed normally stay in their Winnebago!
Old 13 Jul 2007, 07:14 (Ref:1962148)   #53
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You haven't got a Winnebego!
Old 13 Jul 2007, 07:20 (Ref:1962151)   #54
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am normally in Terry's bus!
Old 13 Jul 2007, 12:40 (Ref:1962398)   #55
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
Good shout!! You need to be at least 6 foot though, I haven't got a moveable seat yet and you need to be able to drink copious amounts of beer!!
did someone call ?

similar problem here, most people get in my car and can't reach the pedals!
the only person whos looked slightly cramped in my car was Matt Neill

(awaits yellow card for name dropping!)
Old 13 Jul 2007, 12:48 (Ref:1962409)   #56
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
did someone call ?

similar problem here, most people get in my car and can't reach the pedals!
the only person whos looked slightly cramped in my car was Matt Neill

(awaits yellow card for name dropping!)
We'll have to do a swap then, but I don;t want to look like Matt Neal, especially as he gave me a pair of his old overralls to help me out. (yellow card for me too!!)
Old 13 Jul 2007, 13:05 (Ref:1962423)   #57
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well Zef can issue his own yellow card; not for name dropping but name spelling!!
Old 13 Jul 2007, 13:43 (Ref:1962454)   #58
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
DOH! I'm an engineer, its a well known fact all engineers are illiterate !
Old 13 Jul 2007, 14:12 (Ref:1962480)   #59
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You speak for youre,self! My Mum & Dad were married!
Old 13 Jul 2007, 14:28 (Ref:1962501)   #60
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
mine weren't even related !

I think thats slightly off topic
Old 13 Jul 2007, 19:39 (Ref:1962707)   #61
rpj
Rookie

rpj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hallowed turf?

Now that all you drivers have had time to reflect on this thread, what are you going to do about it? If you do nothing you might find me and my fellow "grease monkeys" outside your hospitality with our begging bowls and doffing our caps to all those who dare to cross the hallowed turf.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 19:53 (Ref:1962720)   #62
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpj
Now that all you drivers have had time to reflect on this thread, what are you going to do about it? If you do nothing you might find me and my fellow "grease monkeys" outside your hospitality with our begging bowls and doffing our caps to all those who dare to cross the hallowed turf.
I'm sure that won't happen, you know how racing drivers need their egos stroked all the time!!

I think this particular issue is more aimed at the higher end of the market so to speak and it's bloody wrong but I wonder what it was like in the 30s, 50s and 60s for mechanics, I'm sure they probably got a rough ride then and I think the people that run "certain" series are just replicating it unfortunately, nect there will be no women allowed!!
Old 13 Jul 2007, 21:45 (Ref:1962776)   #63
awseng
Rookie

Scotland
awseng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GOLF!!!!!!
its upto those who pay for hospitality to be able to give their tickets to whom they see fit...
to be honest i dont care if somebody thinks 'I'm not worthy'
I know who Iam what I do.... I dont need to feel greatful.
there are a lot of people need us more than we need them...
they need to remember if something needs fixing bodging on the spot think on your feet engineering who will be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good drivers win bad cars loose....
Old 14 Jul 2007, 13:01 (Ref:1963041)   #64
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well if one of said Grease Monkeys would like to volunteer to help me on occassions I will buy them all the burgers and coke their hearts desire, no wages mind! :-) Oh and you get to play with the Generals finest!
Old 14 Jul 2007, 15:53 (Ref:1963121)   #65
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Motor Racing has always been a class ridden sport-look at the riding mechanics in the 30's.Mechanics are treated as a necessary but like children seen but not heard.The Brits like it as it continues the class system.Goodwood is based on these principles of making middle Britian important.TinTin in the Congo should sell well there this year.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 08:28 (Ref:1964177)   #66
Jules 123
Rookie

Jules 123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my book your "Class" standing is based on How you treat others nothing else!
The better you treat others around you, the bigger man (or woman) you are. Period!
Bad manners = NO CLASS

Jules.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 09:41 (Ref:1964229)   #67
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
James, as the driver's representative, could you ask Masters to confirm their official policy on this matter and post it here? I think there is a lot of rumour and misinformation and it would be better to have the actual policy posted here so a discussion can then take place on the rules rather than guessing what they may or may not be.

Roger
Old 16 Jul 2007, 11:54 (Ref:1964316)   #68
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can say that there was no issue at all at Chimay this weekend on this issue!
Old 16 Jul 2007, 16:38 (Ref:1964560)   #69
awseng
Rookie

Scotland
awseng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there certainly was at Brands...... and also been informed by competitor that they have been notified that this is the case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so no guess work going on
Old 16 Jul 2007, 17:05 (Ref:1964579)   #70
daj
Racer

daj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do people actually read what has been written on these forums?

What I have read so far has been personal experences from many people, When I started the first discussion I had many private emails regarding unhappy people including wives that had been questioned in a embarrising manner. I dont think anyone here is making anything up to just stir.

Also wasnt Chimay run by the "Top hat" rather than the "Masters" ( yes I know they are the same but very different set-ups ) I should know I paid for the same bloody tent that I didnt have to last year!!

Surley someone knows Mr Ron here ? Lets have him explain what he actually wants in his lovely bubble world???

daj
Old 16 Jul 2007, 22:51 (Ref:1965230)   #71
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roger,

I have emailed John Quenby (and cc'd Christopher Tate) on this subject, and pointed them towards this thread! I am hopeful for some clarification.

Regards,

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills
James, as the driver's representative, could you ask Masters to confirm their official policy on this matter and post it here? I think there is a lot of rumour and misinformation and it would be better to have the actual policy posted here so a discussion can then take place on the rules rather than guessing what they may or may not be.

Roger
Old 17 Jul 2007, 04:19 (Ref:1965329)   #72
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
[Disclaimer]At this point I'd just like to say that I think Masters is a great idea and a benefit to historic motorsport in general.[/Disclaimer]

Right, that should get me my free entries for next year.

Welcome to John and Chris.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 06:44 (Ref:1965360)   #73
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Peter
You deserve free entries!
Porto entries down,Masters races at Oulton cancelled,the people are voting with their feet
Typical for Next year? Flav and Ness Sports Cars,Duncan's Pre war and Post War.Carols saloons,Ragbags FJ not a bad days racing.
Its Le Mans Classic anyway which leaves all the other races in the shade.
Ron and Chris have to learn its a hobby for people and the competitors are customers just like any other business .Its village cricket,Sunday morning fourball,its no more important and the Historics are no higher level.If the little bloke from Stevenage turned up he would leave all the historic drivers for dead as Mr Franchetti has done at Goodwood and hes a failed F1 driver
Old 17 Jul 2007, 06:53 (Ref:1965366)   #74
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Its village cricket,Sunday morning fourball,its no more important and the Historics are no higher level.If the little bloke from Stevenage turned up he would leave all the historic drivers for dead as Mr Franchetti has done at Goodwood and hes a failed F1 driver
Yes, that is the point and if competitors are taking themselves too seriously I guess that's where the problem starts.

Someone made the point to me at Silverstone that Ron (Dennis) won't be on the phone on Monday morning to anyone. In other words enjoy the opportunies presented but don't make yourselves to be more important than anyone else because you ain't.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 11:08 (Ref:1965611)   #75
Celia Stevens
Racer

England
Hundon Sudbury
Celia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCelia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have just had a barbecue at Croft for anyone who wanted to come! It is always like that, also as much beer wine and cider that attendants ( all kinds ) wanted to imbibe ! All free and all welcome. I know we don't cater for everyone regarding the racing, but I think anyone who joins us will find that laid back friendly attitude runs through the whole club. A good time is usually had by all !
Closed Thread