Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 16 Apr 2012, 14:43 (Ref:3060271)   #1
Butler04
Rookie

United Kingdom
portsmouth
Butler04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SINGAPORE GP 2012 F1 (Marshalling)

Is anyone else doing the singapore gp this year? i have got my acceptance email and looking for someone to share hotel costs etc. please either get back to me on email martinbutler_04@hotmail.co.uk or twitter @martinbutler04. as i dont come on here alot really.

many thanks

Martin

Last edited by Butler04; 16 Apr 2012 at 15:00.
Old 17 Apr 2012, 00:36 (Ref:3060607)   #2
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got approved as well. Really looking forward to it this year

Not sure where I'll stay yet, probably with friends. But we should definitely meet up there.

Cheers,
--Russ
Old 17 Apr 2012, 07:13 (Ref:3060709)   #3
Butler04
Rookie

United Kingdom
portsmouth
Butler04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yea defo meet up will be fun and I looking at hotels bout £50 / $35 a night near track.
Old 17 Apr 2012, 08:45 (Ref:3060761)   #4
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
if you're on facebook I can link you up to the official SGP marshal's group

can't post the link here though as I've already got pinged for "advertising" when I posted my profile here, so feel free to get in touch via PM if interested
Old 27 May 2012, 08:16 (Ref:3079758)   #5
_Andrew
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
_Andrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im going to be over there for the event too, just over a 100 days to go! Would you be able to send me the link to the facebook group?
Old 6 Jun 2012, 16:17 (Ref:3086347)   #6
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
sure
Old 11 Jun 2012, 19:33 (Ref:3089196)   #7
2JamesR2
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gravesend
2JamesR2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First post!

I'm going too, applied speculatively and was surprised they accepted! I'm on a sandwich course at university and need to find an internship, so I'm going to have a look in Singapore, I'm going out there for two months on my own and cannot wait!
Old 11 Jun 2012, 20:00 (Ref:3089218)   #8
graham-ne
Rookie

United Kingdom
darlington
graham-ne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you will love the singapour grand prix event having done this myself for three years the people over there are just great to work with

go enjoy and have a great safe time
Old 11 Jun 2012, 21:50 (Ref:3089283)   #9
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JamesR2 View Post
First post!

I'm going too, applied speculatively and was surprised they accepted! I'm on a sandwich course at university and need to find an internship, so I'm going to have a look in Singapore, I'm going out there for two months on my own and cannot wait!
you'll have a great time, I did that for about seven months and would love to go back at some point
Old 11 Jun 2012, 22:32 (Ref:3089304)   #10
2JamesR2
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gravesend
Will be the furthest I've ever been from home, let alone by myself, and my first venture into Asia. Will be a new experience for sure!

How differently do they marshal there compared to say the UK (have only marshalled Brands Hatch and Silverstone personally)?

I did notice on the gallery on their site the marshals wearing trainers for example. Suppose in the heat, boots would be unbearable!
Old 11 Jun 2012, 23:06 (Ref:3089309)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Heat and humidity. Lots of it. Haven't done the GP but spent a couple of days there as a tourist. To get an idea, put your heating to around 38deg, put your shower on and shut the bathroom door for 20 minutes. Then put on what you're thinking of wearing for marshalling and go into the bathroom.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 21:49 (Ref:3093820)   #12
_Andrew
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
Does anyone know if we receive guest passes for family/friends?

Also would someone be able to recommend a good place to stay in Singapore?

Thanks
Old 17 Jun 2012, 22:38 (Ref:3093841)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Depends on your budget, but there's a pretty good selection of all ranges of hotel from YMCA up to Raffles. We've stayed at the Allson Victoria, admittedly on some flight/stay deals, but it's pretty nice and a great location. No idea what it costs if you're paying full price...
Old 18 Jun 2012, 04:21 (Ref:3093916)   #14
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Andrew View Post
Does anyone know if we receive guest passes for family/friends?
last year we got 2 grand stand passes for all three days, each one was a plastic card you wear around the neck

Quote:
Also would someone be able to recommend a good place to stay in Singapore?
some of the cheaper and closer places to stay are in Little India I guess... I've stayed at a hostel for $20 a night, but not during a GP
Old 19 Jun 2012, 08:30 (Ref:3094645)   #15
_Andrew
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
Thanks ill take a look around there.

That is good if they give grandstand passes - most other events it is General Admission only. Im sure my brother will be happy about that!
Old 19 Jun 2012, 09:04 (Ref:3094669)   #16
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer View Post
some of the cheaper and closer places to stay are in Little India I guess... I've stayed at a hostel for $20 a night, but not during a GP
We stayed in Little India for 2008 race - the hotel put its prices up 300% for race 'week', but it was decent, if not luxourious. Also handy for Transit (underground) to track - we certainly didn't have hire car.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 02:49 (Ref:3096200)   #17
_Andrew
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
Little India does seem to be the cheapest. The best i can find is $600 NZD which is about 300 'Pounds' which is actually pretty cheap really.

Also i emailed the Singapore Organising Committee about guest passes and we are to be informed Late August early September
Old 24 Jun 2012, 13:58 (Ref:3097133)   #18
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
what did you e-mail them about? to confirm?

the way I see it, what we get for free depends on actual revenue ticket sales of the event... if they don't sell enough grandstand tickets we'll get them to fill the empty spots for TV... if they sell out the grandstands, our guests will get walkabout passes

I'm watching GP2 race and wondering if we'll be getting helmets this year like Monaco and Valencia. Interesting in Valencia how they're wearing helmet protection, but only bib coveralls (pant with straps) and short sleeve orange t-shirts. Hmmmm
Old 11 Jul 2012, 21:17 (Ref:3105346)   #19
2JamesR2
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gravesend
I'm staying out in Singapore for two months, got a room up in Hougang (NE) for £21 a night for the whole time. Think I got lucky with not having a price rise for the GP week, considering it's only about half an hour on the MRT to the racetrack.

My friend's flying out for the GP week, but he's bought himself a rotation grandstand ticket anyway. So any tickets they do give out, I'll have as bribes to get myself some internship work

One question I do have, I noticed in pics from previous years that the course marshals only wear trainers, not boots. I guess this is all that is recommended, seeing as boots are best in the UK because of the boggy grass and gravel traps?
Old 12 Jul 2012, 01:19 (Ref:3105398)   #20
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
what field are you looking for an internship in? I'm sure I can put you in contact with some people that may be helpful

sneakers are comfortable, and they'll work well for you.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 00:51 (Ref:3105847)   #21
_Andrew
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
Does anyone know if getting to/from Sentosa Island to the City is accessable or not?
Old 13 Jul 2012, 03:01 (Ref:3105865)   #22
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
Quote:
Does anyone know if getting to/from Sentosa Island to the City is accessable or not?
quick ride by bus or monorail/MRT but will cost you $5 every time you want to get on the island
Old 13 Jul 2012, 18:39 (Ref:3106107)   #23
2JamesR2
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gravesend
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer View Post
what field are you looking for an internship in? I'm sure I can put you in contact with some people that may be helpful

sneakers are comfortable, and they'll work well for you.
Ooh that would be helpful! I'm studying Engineering Product Design, so anything engineering-based or design-based would be a step in the right direction

Got allocated my sector today, sector 7R (should look up where that is!)
Old 13 Jul 2012, 21:30 (Ref:3106167)   #24
_Andrew
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
Thanks True Blue! Im at 8L so probably not to far from you James. Ive looked and i think that means im on the Stamford Road Straight with a guess being close to the entry to Turn 9?
Old 15 Jul 2012, 07:58 (Ref:3106547)   #25
2JamesR2
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gravesend
Quote:
Thanks True Blue! Im at 8L so probably not to far from you James. Ive looked and i think that means im on the Stamford Road Straight with a guess being close to the entry to Turn 9?
Aha I guess you're down at the next corner then! I've assumed I'm on the outside of Memorial, presumably your somewhere on the other side of the circuit if L and R do in fact mean Left and Right