Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 27 Jul 2004, 21:34 (Ref:1049243)   #51
the18racer
Rookie

the18racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim, that must have been as I made my way back to the pits. Ayse, no we stayed in a super motel close to Change, about 15 mins from the circuit. A lot closer than the last place! On Thursday we (Green, Neumark and Maxted-Page and mates) ate at the Hotel de France in Chartre-sur-le-Loir, where the Aston team used to base themselves in the Fifties. Loads of memorabilia on the walls, etc. and the alleyway leading to the garage looks exactly the same as it does in Klementaski's photos. As I said earlier, the event was much bigger this time around, with many more spectators and much in the way of commerce. The scenes around the paddocks were sheer chaos- I came back from night qualifying on Friday in the 'D' to be met by an impassable crowd; the organisers were releasing Plateau 4 as we came back. Trying to inch through a crowd like that in a red hot racing car is impossible, so I had to park up before I cooked the clutch, only to be told by an officious security guard that "You cannot leave ze car 'ere, M'sieur"! You can guess what my reaction was.
I wil attempt to discover which hospital Neil is in, so that those who wish to do so can send cards. Watch this space.
P.S. Johnny Herbert is a genius. I've never seen a 'C' go so quickly before.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 06:10 (Ref:1049464)   #52
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Mr 18 running like hell getting the french flag...

Last edited by Fab; 16 Jun 2009 at 17:30.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 06:14 (Ref:1049467)   #53
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
And at the end of the first lap...

-

Old 28 Jul 2004, 06:18 (Ref:1049470)   #54
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
Huge apologies to Fab and Gilles for not catching up
My appologizes ! I was really to tired after a too long 7 days trip across Alpen, and spoiled a part of the week-end with sleep...

Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
the sight of the big 1950 Cadillac hustling round the circuit was breathtaking.
How could this car race ?

-

Old 28 Jul 2004, 07:28 (Ref:1049506)   #55
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by the18racer
On Thursday we (Green, Neumark and Maxted-Page and mates) ate at the Hotel de France in Chartre-sur-le-Loir, where the Aston team used to base themselves in the Fifties. Loads of memorabilia on the walls, etc. and the alleyway leading to the garage looks exactly the same as it does in Klementaski's photos.
A great place - the Tourists have been there (but not to stay) on a number of occasions.

By the way (and pardon the small amount of cynicism), but did Mr. N enjoy the photos I sent him (FOC) in 2002...........?
Old 28 Jul 2004, 08:15 (Ref:1049539)   #56
the18racer
Rookie

Ayse, I think so! I did remind him some time ago but I assume you got no response. Let's just say that all I do is drive....Fab, thanks for the post, but that looks like Nick Linney's Lister there. I didn't do the Le Mans start, that was the owner. Anybody got any photos of the car at night (preferably with lights on!)?
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:10 (Ref:1049572)   #57
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Fab, thanks for the post, but that looks like Nick Linney's Lister there.
The one displayed on the pic is the #2... isn't it yours ? The line up is P. Neumark/M. Griffiths, and I assume you're in, even if not at the start

I cannot find any Nick Linney in the entry list... did he drive his own car ? What was its number ?

Quote:
Anybody got any photos of the car at night (preferably with lights on!)?
Unfortunately, as my camera doesn't fit with low light, I have unable to take decent pics at night...

Maybe TimD or Bluebottle ?
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:14 (Ref:1049574)   #58
the18racer
Rookie

I think that's Plateau 3 there. Nick Linney was in our team (2), and shared the car with Jac Nellemans. We were in Plateau 2.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:15 (Ref:1049578)   #59
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
I'm a twit ! That the plateau 3 allright !
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:19 (Ref:1049587)   #60
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Try this one...

-

Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:27 (Ref:1049596)   #61
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
You'll have more on the ACO's website... but I couldn't find any at pitch black, unfortunately...

I'll keep on to look for one on the french websites, just in case...

Last edited by Fab; 28 Jul 2004 at 09:31.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 10:56 (Ref:1049699)   #62
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Magic event; chaotic organisation, but just fantastic to be there again.
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but in the ACO's defense it must be an extremely difficult event to organize. In the circumstances they did pretty well.

Having said that there will always been room for improvement, and I wasn't sitting in a red hot race car trying to get through a crowd of people!

FG
Old 28 Jul 2004, 13:35 (Ref:1049851)   #63
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
They may improve the chaining up between the difference sequences : the waiting between some was a bit long, as it was two years ago. Each field should be ready at the end of the last one...
Old 28 Jul 2004, 13:53 (Ref:1049863)   #64
the18racer
Rookie

Yeah, the problem was the arrangement of the paddocks; as plateau three left the assembly area, plateau two returned, only to run into plateau heading for the assembly area, and we were on the same piece of road immediately opposite the pits. There were loads of people around (can't blame them, they were interested) but also the jeep service was dropping off there and there were too many private cars coming and going. There just wasn't enough room. The event is fantastic but needs better traffic and pedestrian controls, and better communication with competitors; half the time we just didn't know what was going on. The timetable changed every half an hour, or so it seemed, and we had to keep visiting the driver's club noticeboard, which wasn't available to the rest of the team, and it could take half an hour to get there from Houx. Having said all that, I still enjoyed every second. Thanks for the pic, Fab. That's Peter there.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 13:53 (Ref:1049864)   #65
the18racer
Rookie

That should read "plateau four heading for the assembly area"
Old 28 Jul 2004, 14:33 (Ref:1049896)   #66
FG1
Veteran

Quote:
There just wasn't enough room.
I should think that is hitting the nail on the head! There is lots of space, but with so many cars making effective use of it must be very difficult. Let's hope they learn from the experience and improve.

Has anyone counted how many competitors took part in total?

FG
Old 28 Jul 2004, 14:54 (Ref:1049930)   #67
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, what a fabulous weekend - hope Neil makes a speedy recovery. Nice to meet a few of you - Tim, Bluebottle and family.

Personally I was a litle glad about the chaos as it meant I could slip into the pits and get shots which would have been impossible elsewhere...
Attached Thumbnails
gt40startss.jpg  
Old 28 Jul 2004, 14:57 (Ref:1049937)   #68
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and another
Attached Thumbnails
911ss.jpg  
Old 28 Jul 2004, 15:01 (Ref:1049939)   #69
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
one more - I still have another 1100 to sort out!
Attached Thumbnails
img_2949bss.jpg  
Old 28 Jul 2004, 15:52 (Ref:1049987)   #70
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great shots Stefan, as always.....
Old 28 Jul 2004, 17:40 (Ref:1050119)   #71
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by FG1
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but in the ACO's defense it must be an extremely difficult event to organize. In the circumstances they did pretty well.

Having said that there will always been room for improvement, and I wasn't sitting in a red hot race car trying to get through a crowd of people!

FG
This event wasn't organised by ACO who only gave provision of service. The races organisation was by "Peter Auto".

There were 400 cars dispatched into 6 series and all races took place !
Old 28 Jul 2004, 18:39 (Ref:1050192)   #72
FG1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by PascaLM
There were 400 cars dispatched into 6 series and all races took place !
This cannot have been easy!

FG
Old 29 Jul 2004, 11:58 (Ref:1050782)   #73
mikec
Rookie

mikec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back after our second visit to the Classic. What a weekend! Must have been fantastic for those in on the action. We managed to get 3 laps of the track prior to race starting with the various car clubs! It is a must have experience - assuming they carry on with it in future years. I no longer need imagine what it's like travelling down the Mulsanne Straight at 145mph.... utterly awesome.
Back again in 2006?..... you can count on it.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 12:04 (Ref:1050786)   #74
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
I did the track laps 2 years ago. What an experience. Pulling out of the Bugatti circuit through the fence and powering down the start/finish straight will stay with me for a long time.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 12:04 (Ref:1050787)   #75
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I only wish I could be - the July date is such a problem for me, unfortunately........