Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Jan 2018, 11:05 (Ref:3797131)   #1
Simmo Writer
Rookie

Simmo Writer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Greatest Races In The World

THE GREATEST MOTOR RACES IN THE WORLD (2 or 4 wheeled) - Right ladies and gents. I embarking on a feature article and rather than base it on my own opinion I am gauging the opinions of motorsport fans across all forms of social media.

What is the greatest race in the world? In the comments box below I will allow you 3 choices/votes (as there are so many great races).

You could have Le Mans...you may prefer the IOM TT....the Monaco Grand Prix....the Indy500. What about Dakar or the Hill Climb....the Monte Carlo Rally....It's your vote and I will gather together all votes and publish the verdict of the fans. Thanks - Neil
Old 31 Jan 2018, 11:28 (Ref:3797134)   #2
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In no particular order:

Bathurst 1000
Le Mans 24
F1 British GP*

*I have a vested interest in that one
Old 31 Jan 2018, 13:37 (Ref:3797151)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Le Mans.

That's my list.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 14:59 (Ref:3797171)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
What has this to do with F1?
F1 is way down on the list.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 15:00 (Ref:3797173)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's a fair question.......
Old 31 Jan 2018, 15:04 (Ref:3797175)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Monaco GP, LM 24, Indy 500
Old 31 Jan 2018, 18:02 (Ref:3797224)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
What has this to do with F1?
F1 is way down on the list.
makes you wonder if f1 needs some sort of a big race, doesn't it?

i can only think of the monaco gp, but unlike anything else it's because of what happens around the race, not the actual race itself.

i'd have to say le mans 24hrs, indy 500, and the macau gp.

the monte carlo rally is a big one, but they change the stages too often and start in a crappy bit so it's hard to really say it's a proper institution. dakar is probably close, but the modern day race is a bit of a way from the legend that it's built on. i'm not sure the bol d'or is as mega as le mans, and pikes peak is serious business but also not really serious business at the same time. the iom tt is pretty close though....

interesting question. especially when most of the answers it prompts don't actually include a f1 race....
Old 31 Jan 2018, 18:15 (Ref:3797228)   #8
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Le Mans.

That's my list.

Full, concise and complete!
Old 31 Jan 2018, 18:42 (Ref:3797233)   #9
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
makes you wonder if f1 needs some sort of a big race, doesn't it?

i can only think of the monaco gp, but unlike anything else it's because of what happens around the race, not the actual race itself.
Monaco is a big race but not because of the racing itself.
F1 has also a fixed format so it's difficult to make it special. You need a special track.

And F1 is still special because it's only for a few lucky drivers.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 18:43 (Ref:3797234)   #10
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Bathurst
Indy 500
Isle of Man TT
Old 31 Jan 2018, 18:50 (Ref:3797243)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
For me in random order:

Bathurst 24h
Bathurst 1000
LM 24h
Nurburgring 24h
Daytona 500
Indy 500
Spa 24h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Bathurst
Indy 500
Isle of Man TT
Bathurst 1000 or 24h?
Old 31 Jan 2018, 19:24 (Ref:3797253)   #12
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bathurst 24? Or 12? Not sure the 24 is still going, but the 12 is.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 19:25 (Ref:3797255)   #13
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In order

Le Mans 24
Indy 500
Nurburgring 24 Hour
Sebring 12 Hour
Spa 24 Hour
Bathurst 12 Hour
Old 31 Jan 2018, 21:38 (Ref:3797290)   #14
NSX_LeMans
Racer

NSX_LeMans should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
24h of Le Mans
12h of Sebring
24h of Daytona
Old 1 Feb 2018, 00:07 (Ref:3797316)   #15
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Bathurst 24? Or 12? Not sure the 24 is still going, but the 12 is.
24Hour is no longer but the 12 hour is (and it is on this weekend)
Old 1 Feb 2018, 00:17 (Ref:3797319)   #16
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Bathurst 1000 or 24h?
1000,proper cars.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 00:49 (Ref:3797328)   #17
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Targa Florio (The Race)
Nurburgring (Old Circuit)
Spa (Old Circuit)
Indy 500
Pikes Peak

Bikes

Isle of Man (Modern - Nothing else comes close! Car or Bike)

MotoGP

Last edited by wnut; 1 Feb 2018 at 01:02.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 04:13 (Ref:3797352)   #18
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
In order based on personal attendance:
Bathurst 1000
Le Mans 24 hour
Macau Grand Prix
Old 1 Feb 2018, 07:53 (Ref:3797369)   #19
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bathurst, Indy 500, Le Mans. The rest aren't special. Nurburgring, Sebring, Daytona all the long distance stuff doesn't get televised here so it's hard to be excited about watching a live timing screen update every few minutes.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 08:42 (Ref:3797383)   #20
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Spa 6hrs

(The September Historic one for Pre '66 GTs and Touring Cars. GT40s, Cobras, Jaguar 'E's, Bizzarrinis, Corvettes, Mustangs, Falcons, etc plus all the smaller classes. Last year 114 starters...)

Le Mans 24hrs

Bathurst 1000

Sebring 12hr

Daytona 24hr

The above from experience as a spectator, competitor or watching at home!
Old 1 Feb 2018, 09:10 (Ref:3797386)   #21
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Bathurst, Indy 500, Le Mans. The rest aren't special. Nurburgring, Sebring, Daytona all the long distance stuff doesn't get televised here so it's hard to be excited about watching a live timing screen update every few minutes.
All of those are 100% free online, with no ads, full coverage. If you have the ability to view timing then you can see these races! The problem with Sportscar coverage is nobody knows how good it is!
Old 1 Feb 2018, 11:52 (Ref:3797419)   #22
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Le Mans

Indy 500

Many others tied for third that have all been mentioned already but I'll throw another vote to the Pikes Peak Hill Climb.

I thought I submitted my votes yesterday but I forgot to hit send. Glad the Indy 500 is getting some love.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 13:43 (Ref:3797452)   #23
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
King of the Hammers
Old 1 Feb 2018, 15:29 (Ref:3797470)   #24
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
To be honest, a poll like this is just going to push the usual suspects (Indy 500, Monaco, LeMans, etc.) to the top. I would like to see more "grassroots" level events be included. Something that really is more for the pure love of racing and maybe a bit less corporate. I will toss out...

25 Hours of Thunderhill
Any 24 Hour ChumpCar or LeMons Race

Richard

PS: If I have to pick a third... Pikes Peak. But it's not quite as grassroots as my other two.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 15:44 (Ref:3797471)   #25
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
...I would like to see more "grassroots" level events be included. Something that really is more for the pure love of racing and maybe a bit less corporate...
this may be a bit on the nose then but the Chili Bowl Nationals!

Last edited by chillibowl; 1 Feb 2018 at 15:49.