Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 28 Mar 2012, 20:34 (Ref:3050186)   #26
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's only the beginning, they have cut all the trees along the track and inside the property. Now, they are working on the sub networks especially electricity before installing the gravel trap. Next pictures to come during the works.
Old 15 May 2012, 18:32 (Ref:3074924)   #27
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
The new look at Arnage corner

Old 15 May 2012, 18:59 (Ref:3074939)   #28
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
What the... Will they ever stop tempering with the track? What's next? Cutting away all the trees on the inside of Arnage so the drivers can see around the corner?
Old 15 May 2012, 19:05 (Ref:3074945)   #29
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
With new gravel, Arnage is going to be Puncture City this year. I wonder how many dozens of left-rear tires are going to get shredded over race week...
Old 15 May 2012, 19:55 (Ref:3074968)   #30
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for posting. As we expected there still isn't much run off on the exit. Not that it needs it.
Old 15 May 2012, 20:01 (Ref:3074972)   #31
Andrew Rast
Rookie

Canada
Toronto
Andrew Rast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
With new gravel, Arnage is going to be Puncture City this year. I wonder how many dozens of left-rear tires are going to get shredded over race week...
Correct. I can't really imagine the travesty. It seems like all people do to racing and race tracks is hurt them! John Watson said it about Zolder, they're planning to do it to Brands Hatch, and now this. For the name of "safety". Maybe they're going to race all electric cars that go 40 MPH next year.

*Big breath* Still, nice pics, Steve.
"I'm not claiming divinity. I've never claimed purity of soul. I've never claimed to have the answers to life. I only put out songs and answer questions as honestly as I can... But I still believe in peace, love and understanding." - John Lennon
Old 15 May 2012, 20:07 (Ref:3074978)   #32
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well I know they were changing it but that looks like they butchered it rather than make a small adjustment
Old 15 May 2012, 20:13 (Ref:3074984)   #33
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Er, I'm obviously not looking at the pictures correctly. What has they done. Gravel on the inside and a small change to the run off and barriers on the exit?
Old 15 May 2012, 20:17 (Ref:3074986)   #34
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Probably one of the first things I'll do on arrival is head down there and check it out.
Old 15 May 2012, 20:25 (Ref:3074993)   #35
Andrew Rast
Rookie

Canada
Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Er, I'm obviously not looking at the pictures correctly. What has they done. Gravel on the inside and a small change to the run off and barriers on the exit?
I say they should just leave the track be.

In my mind, it isn't the visual changes that make the difference. I think the bad part is that it sort of ruins the culture of the corner. I may be completely crazy, but that's my opinion.
"I'm not claiming divinity. I've never claimed purity of soul. I've never claimed to have the answers to life. I only put out songs and answer questions as honestly as I can... But I still believe in peace, love and understanding." - John Lennon
Old 15 May 2012, 20:51 (Ref:3075008)   #36
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Photos are both of the outside, shot from the inside of the corner, where the tyre wall was previously close to the track edge.
Old 15 May 2012, 20:51 (Ref:3075009)   #37
tonypowe
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cambridgeshire
tonypowe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like a gravel trap on the outside of the corner (think you can see where the road goes off behind it out of the car park) and then more fencing on the left hand side as they pull away from the corner - maybe they are going to open these up as viewing areas in the future?
So cars will end up in the gravel trap and have to be pulled out rather than punting into the barrier if they get the corner wrong. Is that really safer? Not for the marshalls I wouldn't think.
Old 15 May 2012, 21:16 (Ref:3075019)   #38
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Rast View Post
I say they should just leave the track be.

In my mind, it isn't the visual changes that make the difference. I think the bad part is that it sort of ruins the culture of the corner. I may be completely crazy, but that's my opinion.
I agree no changes needed, but I'm trying gauge how outraged to be. I don't do outrage for he sake of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tarrant View Post
Photos are both of the outside, shot from the inside of the corner, where the tyre wall was previously close to the track edge.
Thank you I've been a punter not a marshal there so I haven't actually seen it rom that angle. Well I did park there one year a day after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypowe View Post
So cars will end up in the gravel trap and have to be pulled out rather than punting into the barrier if they get the corner wrong. Is that really safer? Not for the marshalls I wouldn't think.
Well we have a marshal round here to comment on the last bit. Dragging a car out if a barrier or gravel trap, probably has a similar level of risk.
However I do think it is safer for the driver.
Old 15 May 2012, 21:26 (Ref:3075029)   #39
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
There may be something in the idea of turning the exit of the corner into a spectator area. They've certainly destroyed the existing hedge/boundary of the house that's there. Totally removed any privacy and, although the lens will foreshorten the view, it looks like very little garden left between the house and the fence.

Also if you look at the first photograph, inside the chainlink fence there's the standard spectator fence of the scaffolding poles at waist height.

We'll see soon enough.

Can they demolish a house in 4 weeks?
Old 15 May 2012, 21:30 (Ref:3075030)   #40
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I just can't see that this has been done on safety grounds. Accidents there are generally a minor nerf into the tyres, no more. I assume this is a 'public' venture, and not the householder looking to make some money somehow? (Sounds daft I know, but I just don't understand the rationale for this.....)
Old 15 May 2012, 21:33 (Ref:3075033)   #41
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I agree accidents are usually just a silly nerf there, but I suspect it is for safety. Just very safe safety!
Do something for the spectators? Now that would be unprecedented. Thinking of Indianapolis I think the actual expression is do something to the spectators.

You see I can be outraged.
Old 15 May 2012, 21:46 (Ref:3075039)   #42
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
[IMG][/IMG]

This was the same area in 2011, so there will be those that say any extra space gained to escape is better than none at all.

From a marshalling perspective, I'd say it is not a lot different to what they were doing last year. No-one will be placed directly behind the barrier, they are either stationed drivers left (from where shot was taken) or right approaching the corner, and those on left will still have to run around the corner to deal with any cars that stop.

The one thing it might improve is allowing more to escape on their own, and stop blocking the outside of the track, when fast cars swing around the corner to a blindish exit at their speed.

I agree with others that change for change sake is not the way forward, but judging by the number of one car incidents there that seem to draw in 2nd and more cars, I can see why the ACO have done this.

"Bring back Maison Blanc!"
Old 15 May 2012, 22:00 (Ref:3075044)   #43
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm thinking along the same lines as Ayse in that, if I owned that property, I would be charging an absolute packet to let people stand in my garden and get a pretty amazing view. One thing that won't affect us folk at the race so much is maybe it opens up scope for a brand new camera position at Arnage?

That in itself would be sacrilege!
Old 16 May 2012, 06:48 (Ref:3075122)   #44
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Does the ACO get government cash that they 'need' to spend or something? There seems to be no logical reason why they need to change the run-off there, it's a what, 30mph apex?

Adding a gravel trap will make it alot worse. I'll wager that we'll have a safety car during the night when a car understeers and gets stuck in there and needs dragging out.
Old 17 May 2012, 02:02 (Ref:3075531)   #45
Andrew Rast
Rookie

Canada
Toronto
Quote:
I agree accidents are usually just a silly nerf there, but I suspect it is for safety. Just very safe safety!
Do something for the spectators? Now that would be unprecedented. Thinking of Indianapolis I think the actual expression is do something to the spectators.

You see I can be outraged.
Good one. I am known for my ranting.

But back to my original point, it will be a puncture fest down there. Like we don't have enough of that already!
Old 17 May 2012, 06:41 (Ref:3075561)   #46
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I'm thinking along the same lines as Ayse in that, if I owned that property, I would be charging an absolute packet to let people stand in my garden and get a pretty amazing view. One thing that won't affect us folk at the race so much is maybe it opens up scope for a brand new camera position at Arnage?

That in itself would be sacrilege!

I suspect that spectators won't be allowed in the area immediately behind the fencing. Look what they did to the spectator area at the approach to Indianapolis when they built the gravel trap. The enclosure there was moved back so far that binoculars are almost needed to see the cars approaching from Mulsanne

Similarly, spectators aren't allowed on the inside of the circuit behind the fencing that guards the exit to Indianapolis.

Whatever the pros and cons of building the new gravel trap, it makes sense not to allow any spectators in a direct line with the cars' direction of travel.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 18:10 (Ref:3085202)   #47
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Old 4 Jun 2012, 20:05 (Ref:3085258)   #48
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Cool photo, thanks for sharing.