Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 2 Sep 2003, 20:46 (Ref:706082)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
R19 16V electric fan problem

this has only occured since i changed the alternator

Guys, any ideas on this........

The alternator went on my Renault and i was told that the easiest way to change it was to take the rad out to allow access for the removal of the alternator. This i did, and it made things alot easier.

However, since i did this, the electric fan hasn't worked, which isn't helpful as my Renault doesn't like hot weather.

If i bridge the fan switch i can hear the relay "click", i've also changed the relay and i know that the fan works as i put power straight to it and it spun.

Looking in the haynes manual at the wiring diagram, it looks as if the electric fan goes throught the alternator(?????) but i've checked all connections to the alternator and everything seems ok, so now, i'm lost!!!

Any ideas?????

I did think of wiring it up to the battery via a switch, anyone know if this is a good, or bad idea, and if it's ok to do this tell me if i should fuse it or not (although i expect that this is a no brainer )

Cheers for any advice in advance.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 19:12 (Ref:707306)   #2
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have no idea at all.....

Ok, bear with me here as this is going to sound like a stupid question (especially since you have the wiring diagram....) are you sure you are bridging the right switch?
The reason I ask is trhat I spent a happy afternoon trying to sort out the fan on my wife's Quantum. I bridged the switch and nothing happened, I put power to the fan and it worked so I tried to trace the fault back to the fusebox and relays, (having noticed the wires to the fan were heavier than those on the switch, perfectly logical for a relay switched device I thought...)and failed to find it.
When I eventually found the relevant Haynes book I realized I'd been looking at the temp sender, the fan switch being hidden at the bottom of the rad and the fan circuit dosn't even have a relay involved

(turned out it was a dead switch...)

Before I found the manual I did hard-wire the fan to the battery and yes it is a good idea to fit a fuse! Also make sure whatever switch you use is up to the job.

Last edited by Bluebottle; 3 Sep 2003 at 19:13.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 19:48 (Ref:707356)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluebottle

Ok, bear with me here as this is going to sound like a stupid question (especially since you have the wiring diagram....) are you sure you are bridging the right switch?
The switch i'm bridging is the one that is part of the rad. (Temp control switch?)
Old 4 Sep 2003, 21:22 (Ref:708454)   #4
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds like you're looking at the right one. The mistake I made was to look at the one on the thermostat housing- I looked for another one but couldn't see it, so I didn't know it was there until I read the book- how daft did I feel?
Old 4 Sep 2003, 23:30 (Ref:708573)   #5
R5 Rocket
Rookie

R5 Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive had that problem check were you wiring is running its posible your not getting contact and check that the wire hasnt deteriorated a little ... If there all in good condition tell me so I can go hunting in my car see why I can discover for you
Old 5 Sep 2003, 06:36 (Ref:708790)   #6
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Easiest way is to wire it up to a switch as you first suggested..........
Put a fuse in there and then you will have perfect control of when to be cool and when to be not so cool.....
Old 5 Sep 2003, 08:13 (Ref:708863)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Have you bled the cooling system properly? There's just a chance that there may be air around the fan switch, which will prevent it reading the temperature of the water.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 09:53 (Ref:708935)   #8
Izzy
Rookie

Izzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get a multimeter and check all the wires for continuity, check that the relay switch is making a circuit when powered up, Just because it's clicking doesn’t mean that the contacts are touching. Also dose the RAD need to be earthed to the body to complete the circuit.