Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 25 Mar 2012, 15:24 (Ref:3048057)   #2001
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
going off topic, but i'm offended by this complete inaccuracy. my cousin works for sky sports and sky news sports as a freelance journalist, and she's done everything right. she says yes to all shifts, regardless of when they are, she works hard, learns everything quickly and makes contacts where she can. the fact that nobody else did the same? not her fault.
You need to think and actually take the time to read the post your responding to before you charge all 'offended' into your own post.

In the very post you quoted I rattled off a list off good female anchors and broadcasters that I consider to be good ones and I commended the American rota of women broadcasters. Also just because a particular broadcaster might get stressed out or whether they are a poster's 'cousin' has no bearing on whether they are a good broadcaster or not.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 15:29 (Ref:3048060)   #2002
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Enough to buy a Porsche Cayman and crash it trying to park it while ****ed.
GT: I'm so glad you've arrived Occifer, I appear to be having some difilty... dilifty...trouble with my car, the noise's coming from the wrong end.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 15:35 (Ref:3048067)   #2003
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
According to Brinkman May, the Prosecutor in the case, she "bumped" into the other car, hardly as your making it sound
I'll be honest. I just did a quick search and extracted the supposedly precise information from the Daily Mail of all places.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 15:41 (Ref:3048077)   #2004
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I'll be honest. I just did a quick search and extracted the supposedly precise information from the Daily Mail of all places.
The Daily Mail. Their view would be that if it weren't for all of these immigrants coming over here and taking our jobs, there might be more places to park.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 15:42 (Ref:3048078)   #2005
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The problem is not even with the token woman thing (be that as it may or may not be); it's that she just gives links to Ant in the "SkyPad". I suppose Sky have enough money for paying all these presenters.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 15:44 (Ref:3048079)   #2006
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
The Daily Mail. Their view would be that if it weren't for all of these immigrants coming over here and taking our jobs, there might be more places to park.
They'd even complain if a knowledgeable immigrant came over and took Georgie's job.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 15:55 (Ref:3048089)   #2007
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Indeed.

Is it just me or have Sky overdone the graphical stuff a little bit? Lewis Hamilton explaining what the race was all about, whilst messing around with 'virtual reality', was slightly too 'weird' for me.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 16:08 (Ref:3048110)   #2008
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Thompson was also out in the paddock reporting on stuff.

I said it earlier. I think its just a problem of the Sky people are old football people. They thought that broadcasting F1 would be a doddle like broadcasting football is. Now they've had a terrible shock as to how complex F1 actually is and are finding it hard to swim.

In light of that giving Thompson a battering this early in the season is a very, very OTT IMO.

Sky haven't really planned this well at all. They seem to have one surplus anchor and they don't know what to do with Davidson. Also there's going to a lot of monotonous loop broadcasting to fill one week of that F1 channel even with a GP at the weekend.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 18:03 (Ref:3048183)   #2009
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
To be honest I ahve been a victim of the bunny brigade, its sickening and for some reason suits seem to think people will talk to them.

Media work these days is all about presentation and how you sell yourself, not the most important thing, how you write and how you relate to people.

it's why people dont buy print media anymore and why most people think they could maybe do as good a job web writing or commentatin/presenting!
i'm ignoring paradise city's post because they've completely missed the point. it's like saying everyone on the dole is a scrounger and incompetant. totally not true and insulting. i'm sure if you met me you'd put me in the bunny brigade.

however... yeah. what chunder says. but absolutely everything in life is about how you present yourself. if you're not motivated enough to put yourself out and make the effort then you're not going to impress people. how you act, polish yourself (regardless of how you look) and prepare yourself reflects on how you do your job.

if you think you can do it better then the best way to do that is to actually do it better and get your stuff out there. practice practice practice, show people your work, ask their opinion and advice, and most important of all, take it. networking isn't just a modern phenomenon. it's just a modern name for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I said it earlier. I think its just a problem of the Sky people are old football people. They thought that broadcasting F1 would be a doddle like broadcasting football is. Now they've had a terrible shock as to how complex F1 actually is and are finding it hard to swim.
this is probably true. you can get away with a couple of "pundits" in a studio with football. you can't with f1. the bbc made it look easy, which is surely a credit to the way they approached the project in the very first place and improved their project as they went on.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 18:56 (Ref:3048226)   #2010
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think saying they are finding it hard to swim is OTT. Not as good as the beeb, how can they be, but pretty good.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 19:47 (Ref:3048261)   #2011
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I think saying they are finding it hard to swim is OTT. Not as good as the beeb, how can they be, but pretty good.
Hear, hear.

The BBC have been great in recent years, but Sky have had a decent start. The difference is that people were willing BBC to succeed, whereas now they're willing Sky to fail.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 20:01 (Ref:3048271)   #2012
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't at this point see the point of the way they are using Georgie and Ant. They are just there to play with a few buttons and that's about it.

Need to utilize Anthony better who was a good color commentator for fivelive. Overall the coverage is OK at best.

Sky are doing what they did with football (pre Gary Neville) i.e. not put too much thought into having intelligent dialogue about the action and rather focus on graphics, montages, cliches and technology.

They need to learn from their cricket coverage team who overall do a much much better job of covering the sport.

A lot of time yet for improvement to be made but at this point I miss the BBC coverage.

Did Jake, DC and Lee not get offered to move from the BBC? I watched the highlights of the Australian race and they still seemed to be doing an excellent job and really were at the heart of what made the BBC coverage good.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 20:19 (Ref:3048287)   #2013
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jake won't leave the Beeb because he is presenting coverage of people running round a stadium in vests this summer.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 20:28 (Ref:3048293)   #2014
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have been impressed by the double act of Simon Lazenby and Damon Hill,calm and rational discussion of what occurred and no evidence of egos.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 21:09 (Ref:3048329)   #2015
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Jake won't leave the Beeb because he is presenting coverage of people running round a stadium in vests this summer.
I can see why he'd rather spend his career as the BBC's leading sports anchor than a few years as Sky's F1 anchor. Much bigger audiences for one.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 21:20 (Ref:3048338)   #2016
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Anthony Davidson should join Hill and Sky Presenter X fronting the program. Davidson the active driver and Hill the former WC would compliment each other well.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 21:32 (Ref:3048354)   #2017
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sky presenter x? It is Simon and I had seen many a programme with him presenting. That wasn't the case with Jake, who turned out alright.

I too thought Simon and Damon were good. To be fair I'm not watching it all. As for sky pad, well I am enjoying Ant's bit. I don't think he can do the main bit because he will be preparing what he is going to show us. I wouldn't want lose that.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 21:35 (Ref:3048361)   #2018
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Presenter X as I think either Lazenby and Thompson should go. Not a reflection on their abilities - I don't know Lazenby - I just think there are too many anchors on Team Sky.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 21:47 (Ref:3048369)   #2019
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
I have been impressed by the double act of Simon Lazenby and Damon Hill,calm and rational discussion of what occurred and no evidence of egos.
I'm a big fan of Damon Hill's. Top guy and not egotistical as you say.

Quote:

Sky haven't really planned this well at all. They seem to have one surplus anchor and they don't know what to do with Davidson. Also there's going to a lot of monotonous loop broadcasting to fill one week of that F1 channel even with a GP at the weekend.
They showed GP2, of which the sprint race this morning was enjoyable. They should repeat stuff like that. It wasn't repeated today, although I see (now) that they also showed the opened round of Indycars at 7pm.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 21:49 (Ref:3048371)   #2020
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have really enjoyed BBC's coverage these last two weekends and I think that the Ben Edwards/DC pairing is much better.

They both compliment one another and the commentary seems to flow better. DC is also more confident.

Two racing drivers together? Maybe not such a good idea so I don't miss Martin Brundle one bit.

Gary Anderson is a great technical guru, so a big thumbs up from me ...

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 25 Mar 2012 at 21:56.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 22:00 (Ref:3048381)   #2021
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post
They both compliment one another...
BE: "Have you done something with your hair? You look great."
DC: "Aww, thanks! Yeah, just a trim. That's a lovely shirt by the way Ben."
BE: "Oh, it's just something I threw on!"
Old 25 Mar 2012, 22:06 (Ref:3048388)   #2022
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BBC coverage was again very good, but I'd disagree with the above comment, I do miss Brundle a bit. I think Brundle and Edwards would be the best mix, DC just doesn't seem to have anything of real substance to say. But it's still early days so I'll give them a bit of a chance.

And while it is annoying that we only get highlights, when it rained we just got a comment from Jake saying they restarted after 50 minutes, rather than 50 minutes of nothing. Just my bit of straw-clutching there...
Old 25 Mar 2012, 22:07 (Ref:3048389)   #2023
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post

Gary Anderson is a great technical guru, so a big thumbs up from me ...
Indeed (as DC says), but he needs to articulate himself a bit better. He's quite hard to understand and BBC don't adjust the sound levels enough to compensate.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 22:47 (Ref:3048407)   #2024
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Anthony Davidson should join Hill and Sky Presenter X fronting the program. Davidson the active driver and Hill the former WC would compliment each other well.
The trouble is, the Sky Pad is back in the TV compound, not in the paddock, so it's time consuming to get between the 2 locations.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 23:49 (Ref:3048430)   #2025
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
like i say, i'm pointing the finger at sky. no beef against the girl herself

(usually presenters have a clothing allowance though i'm not sure about the f1 programme, and it depends on the situation. she was filming a feature outside of the studio on thursday in seriously overdone makeup and looked horribly out of place. bad makeup shows up strongly on hd tv as well, it looks like someone's painted the wall before sanding it down first)
Spray on nomex?

Tags
outrage, sky