Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 8 Apr 2005, 13:43 (Ref:1273328)   #1
Robin Plummer
Racer

England
Chelmsford, Essex, England
Robin Plummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
10 years on...what has happened to all these drivers?

I have been looking back 10 years to the 1995 British & International Motor Racing Results. And I spotted some names that at the time were talked about as the next "Senna" etc but what have they achieved and where are they/what are they doing now? If you can chip on with news on any of them please do so.

British Formula 3 Championship
Oliver Gavin (GB)
Ralph Firman (GB)
Warren Hughes (GB)
Jeremie Dufour (F)
Jamie Davies (GB)
Gualter Salles (Brz)
Steven Arnold (GB)
James Matthews (GB)
Marc Gene (E)
Gonzalo Rodriguez (URG)
Jamie Spence (GB)
Kurt Mollekens (B)
Luis Garcia Jr (Brz)
Christian Horner (GB)
Brian Cunningham (USA)
Owen McAuley (GB)
Mark Shaw (GB)
Garth Waberski (ZA)

British Touring Car Championship
Kelvin Burt
Julian Bailey
Patrick Watts Johnny Cecotto

International Formula 3000
Vincenzo Sospiri (I)
Ricardo Rosset (Brz)
Marc Goossens (B)
Kenny Brack (S)
Tarso Marques (Brz)
Emmanuel Collard (F)
Allan McNish (GB)
Guillaume Gomez (F)
Christian Pescatori (I)
Christophe Bouchut (F)
Jean-Philippe Belloc (F)
Jerome Policand (F)
Fabrizio Simone (I)
Marcos Gueiros (Brz)
Christophe Tinseau (F)
Didier Cottaz (F)

International Touring Car Championship

Jan Magnussen
Nicola Larini
Manuel Reuter
Joerg van Ommen
Stefano Mona
Kurt Thiim
Alexander Grau
Uwe Alzen
JJ Lehto
Christian Danner
Klaus Ludwig
Alessandro Nannini
Old 8 Apr 2005, 14:43 (Ref:1273361)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Plummer

British Formula 3 Championship
Oliver Gavin (GB) ALMS GT
Ralph Firman (GB) Japanese GT
Warren Hughes (GB) British GT
Jeremie Dufour (F) Japanese GT
Jamie Davies (GB) LMES
Gualter Salles (Brz) Brazilian Touring Cars
Steven Arnold (GB)
James Matthews (GB) Family Business
Marc Gene (E) Ferrari F1 test driver
Gonzalo Rodriguez (URG) Died in 1999
Jamie Spence (GB) BTCC if he can get the budget
Kurt Mollekens (B) Owner of KTR Renault World Series team
Luis Garcia Jr (Brz)
Christian Horner (GB) Team boss of Red Bull F1 and Arden GP2
Brian Cunningham (USA)
Owen McAuley (GB)
Mark Shaw (GB)
Garth Waberski (ZA)

British Touring Car Championship
Kelvin Burt Driver management, occasional GT and Touring car driver
Julian Bailey Semi-retired
Patrick Watts Semi-retired Johnny Cecotto Semi-retired

International Formula 3000
Vincenzo Sospiri (I) Team boss in Italian F3000
Ricardo Rosset (Brz) Business
Marc Goossens (B) Sportscars
Kenny Brack (S) Semi retired after serious crash in Indycars
Tarso Marques (Brz) Occasional ChampCar and GT racer
Emmanuel Collard (F) Sportscars
Allan McNish (GB) DTM and Le Mans with Audi
Guillaume Gomez (F)
Christian Pescatori (I) Sportscars
Christophe Bouchut (F) Sportscars
Jean-Philippe Belloc (F) Sportscars
Jerome Policand (F) Sportscars
Fabrizio Simone (I) Sportscars
Marcos Gueiros (Brz)
Christophe Tinseau (F) Sportscars
Didier Cottaz (F)

International Touring Car Championship

Jan Magnussen Sportscars and Touring Cars
Nicola Larini WTCC with Chevrolet
Manuel Reuter DTM
Joerg van Ommen
Stefano Modena
Kurt Thiim
Alexander Grau
Uwe Alzen Sportcars
JJ Lehto Sportscars
Christian Danner TV commentator
Klaus Ludwig Retired
Alessandro Nannini Retired

Hope this is of some help
Old 8 Apr 2005, 14:44 (Ref:1273366)   #3
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well 'Gonzo' Rodriguez is dead,having been kiled in a CART race some years ago.
Ralf Firman is in Japanese SuperGT finishing 4th at Okayama onmarch27.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 14:47 (Ref:1273368)   #4
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
delete
Old 8 Apr 2005, 14:52 (Ref:1273372)   #5
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, some of your drivers are well known today. Some of them entered in F1, like Allan McNish, who raced for Toyota in 2002, and Ralph Firman, who raced at Jordan in 2003; both returned to sportscars where they are now.

Christian Horner and Kurt Mollekens are special cases; after British F3 they raced at International F3000 with their own teams, in 1998 they were associated, and since 1999 they skipped racing and turned to manage their teams: Horner with Arden International and Mollekens with KTR. The last one spent three years in F3000 and later moved to World Series, where is it now. Horner, with Arden International, was more successful, stayed in F3000 and was the dominant team of the last three years of this series (2002-2004); now he was poached by Red Bull Racing F1 team, where he is the actual team manager, but still manages Arden team, what is now in GP2 series.

Vincenzo Sospiri tried to enter F1 but was rejected: he was part of the aborted Lola project in 1997. Later entered in Prototypes and did some races in the Eagle-Toyota at CART. But Vincenzo remained his ties with SuperNova team, moved to team management too and created a new team called Euronova, that races now in the Italian F. Renault and F3000 Italia.

At a last sad note you remembered me the Uruguayan Gonzalo RodrĂ*guez, who after his successful 1995 in British F3 moved to British F2 and then to International F3000, where he wrote his most brilliant pages: he got three wins (one at Montecarlo), was title contender and finished 3rd at 1998 and 1999 seasons. At that last year "Gonchi" moved to CART contracted by team Penske: he finished 12Âş his first race but when he was qualifying in the second race, at Laguna Seca, his car crashed in the perilous Corkscrew curve, and the Uruguayan died instantly. A sad death for a true racer.

Last edited by Mekola; 8 Apr 2005 at 15:01.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 15:56 (Ref:1273423)   #6
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve Arnold is a manager at Scot Lakin's engineering company in Rugby, Warwickshire. He last raced in the FIA Sportscar series in 2003.

Garth Waberski is working for the family engineering business in SA and raced in South African domestic series.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 16:18 (Ref:1273443)   #7
JJ Jet Plane
Racer

JJ Jet Plane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here are some more gaps I can fill in:-

Brian Cunningham still races sportscars in America;
James Matthews was involved with managing Ralph Firman (a long-time friend) when he was in F1 – not sure if he is now, but he works in the financial market in the City of London;
Patrick Watts has just won a historic rally (yes I know – Patrick Watts rallying sounds dangerous!) in a Sunbeam Tiger;
Stefano Modena married some princess and works for Bridgestone
Old 8 Apr 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1273517)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Liuz Garcia Jr had a few races in CART a few years ago, btu seems to have now disappeared. Unfortuantely KB has pretty complete knowledge filled in there.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 21:57 (Ref:1273689)   #9
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jorg van ommen runs a kart race serie in germany. (www.jvo.de)
Old 9 Apr 2005, 23:14 (Ref:1274331)   #10
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kurt Thimm is doing GT races in Germany and Guillaume Gomez is linked to Kart Indoor Orléans (http://www.kartracer.fr)
Old 10 Apr 2005, 10:26 (Ref:1274527)   #11
Bezzen
Racer

Sweden
Sundsvall
Bezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kenn Brack

Thought my first post on this forum shoukd be a little "What happened to Kenny"-text.

After Kenny Brack lost the F3000 championship (beat MĂĽller in the last race but was disqualified for dangerous driving and the title was snapped away from him) he got a F1-test contract with TWR. With Kenny having the philosophy of not driving cars that he wasn't going to win races in he actually resigned from the job after three days of testing because he thought the Footwork Arrows car was crap and had no real potential. He went to America and made his debut in the IRL series in 1997 and had the lead in his first race... and then hit the wall.

Continued in IRL in 1998 and won the championship.
Won the Indy 500 in 1999 and was second in the championship.
Moved to C.A.R.T in 2000 and was runner up in 2001.
Moved back to IRL for the 2003 season but crashed heavily in the last race braking just about every bone in his body.

In 2004 he made a slight return to racing in the season finale of Swedish Touring Car Championship, driving in the Porsche Carrera Cup support series. He's interested in returning to drive the Indy 500. The latest is that he has been testing in Australian V8 Supercars and perhaps he will drive a few races there this year.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 10:29 (Ref:1274529)   #12
Bezzen
Racer

Sweden
Sundsvall
Bezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, as a side not a little amusing anecdote involving Kenny Brack and Eddie Irvine from the 1987 Formula Ford season (taken from Kenny's homepage):

Van Diemen gave me a car to use free of charge for the whole year. However to protect their own works team they never gave me any setups. Every time I asked, they answered that theirs is nothing special - they only use "standard setup". I knew that this was not true but I could not figure out a way of getting the information I needed. But through lots and lots of testing I found my own way of setting up the car so it was fast. On the last day of practice before the final championship race I lapped at exactly the same speed as their official driver, Eddie Irvine. But just before the session closed, we decided to carry out a little practical joke. The last time I passed by the pit lane, a member of my team Jan "Flash" Nilsson, a very good racing driver himself, showed a lap time on my pit board that was half a second quicker than the lap record. The whole pit panicked. Eddie threw himself in his car again, only to find that the track was closed. Later we sat in our bus laughing when it knocked on the door. The vice president of Van Diemen came by to congratulate me on my fantastic lap. First, he said, "We got you fastest out there, Kenny" then he took a deep breath and asked, "By the way, what springs are you running lad," I answered, "Well - exactly as you I guess, the standard setup."

Half an hour later, Eddie's car was in pieces. Even the president of the factory was on his knees in oil trying to figure out what was wrong with the car.

The next day, I qualified second. Eddie Irvine qualified 21st. With a great deal of luck where the main championship competitor fell out, he managed to win the championship. It took over 10 years before I dared telling them what was going on that day at Silverstone!

Old 26 Jan 2006, 12:10 (Ref:1509369)   #13
Squib
Rookie

South Africa
kyalami
Squib should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Garth Waberski

hi
strange i came across this page well this is what i been up to since leaving the uk well basicaly it been a fight to find sponsorship so been racing when i have the funds you all know how it goes with racing. As for my personal life finaly settled down to my beutiful wife who has been with me since i was 14 and had a son in september. as for work and stuff i own a fiberglass company that specialses in race car bodys etc.

if you need more info etc you guys can mail me at thesquib@iafrica.com
ill be glad to hear from everyone

thanx Garth

http://www.vsp.co.za/Drivers/garth_waberski.htm

heres a driver profile etc

2006 South African Porduction Car Championship With Works mini team season starting 16 feb

2005 South African Production Car Champion ship in Deisal Merc 3 poles 4th in championship

2004 South African Sports Prototype champion (15 wins 14 pole positions 3 lap records)

2003 South African formula ford championship (5th overall)

2002 South African formula ford championship (6th overall ) swift 97

2001 Participated in a few Vodacom sports car 2 hour endures
Winner driver of the day a Kyalami winter races

1999 South African touring cars (4th in privateers)

1998 South African touring cars (4th in privateers)

1997 South African touring cars (5th in privateers)

1996 South African Formula GTI championship (6th in championship) completed only 10 races

1995 Formula three British Championship withdrew due to lack of funds
1994 Formula three British Championship
1993 Formula Renault British Championship
Awarded South African national colours
South African Guild of motoring journalists award winner
“Champion” driver of the year award winner (previous winners Alain Prost, Jackie Stewart)

1992 South African Formula GTI championship (2nd overall) 9 wins 13 pole positions

1991 South African Formula GTI championship (7th overall) 2 wins 2 pole positions
Winner Autoquip rookie of the year

1989 South African Karting 100cc stock 6th in championship

1986 South African Karting 100cc jnr (Champion)
Winner Hennie Meyer Memorial Championship

1985 South African Karting 100cc jnr ( Regional Champion) Winner Transvaal Colours