Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Jun 2011, 04:20 (Ref:2890332)   #26
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Racenut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently one (or two) went to UK with the intention of doing LeMans, they put a 5.7 engine in and carbon panels but I dont think it made it to lemans.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 04:24 (Ref:2890333)   #27
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For arguements sake, if say 50 Monaros were bought off the street, stripped down to the shell and rebuilt into a 'new' car sold under a different name that'd then allow that car to be eligible for homologation under the 'small manufacturer' rules?
Old 3 Jun 2011, 04:36 (Ref:2890337)   #28
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Yes that would be theoretically possible but you would need a dealer network to qualify. Just because you would be technically right does not mean that you would be accepted. From my experience the French see rules different to Australians. I would talk to the ACO first and get conditional approval before I spent a cent on any cars.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 04:42 (Ref:2890339)   #29
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racenut View Post
Apparently one (or two) went to UK with the intention of doing LeMans, they put a 5.7 engine in and carbon panels but I dont think it made it to lemans.
Are you speaking of the one or two cars that went to race in British GT under the Vauxhall banner, Aaron Slight was one of the drivers.

BTW another Monaro, well in the guise of a Pontiac GTO raced in the Speed World Challenge Series. And then there was the Pontiac GTO.R that raced in Grand AM GT but that was a tube frame chassis, nice looking car though.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 04:49 (Ref:2890340)   #30
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Are you speaking of the one or two cars that went to race in British GT under the Vauxhall banner, Aaron Slight was one of the drivers.

BTW another Monaro, well in the guise of a Pontiac GTO raced in the Speed World Challenge Series. And then there was the Pontiac GTO.R that raced in Grand AM GT but that was a tube frame chassis, nice looking car though.
Yes the Aaron Slight car was the one I was referring to.

GM should have given them a real chance, but there were probably politics involved. Dont race any GM product against a corvette....
Old 3 Jun 2011, 04:55 (Ref:2890341)   #31
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Ford GT was homogated after its production ended.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 04:57 (Ref:2890343)   #32
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
GM should have given them a real chance, but there were probably politics involved. Dont race any GM product against a corvette....
Well the Corvette wasnt back in GT2 back then. I dont think there would've been much interest anyway from GM or Holden in going to Le Mans seeing as though they had won at bathurst in their home market. So it would've been left to a private team to do the job which didnt happen.

As much as I wouldve liked to see an australian car at Le mans I dont think it would've been that successful. The Monaro is a big heavy coupe, even more so then the M3 GTR which was racing (not at Le Mans though) at that time, probably the closest in body shape to the Monaro.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 05:01 (Ref:2890344)   #33
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
As much as I wouldve liked to see an australian car at Le mans I dont think it would've been that successful. The Monaro is a big heavy coupe, even more so then the M3 GTR which was racing (not at Le Mans though) at that time, probably the closest in body shape to the Monaro.
Stripped out and covered in carbon body panels I wouldn't actually expect it to weigh more than 1250kg or so in GT2 race trim.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 07:06 (Ref:2890361)   #34
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
but I've really got no money to put into it and not sure where to look investor wise.
Well you know what they say about racing...

How do you and up with a small fortune from racing? Start with a large one!!
Old 3 Jun 2011, 07:12 (Ref:2890363)   #35
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
Quote:
Well you know what they say about racing...

How do you and up with a small fortune from racing? Start with a large one!!
Isnt it "how do you get a million in racing? Start with 2 million"?
Old 3 Jun 2011, 21:40 (Ref:2890806)   #36
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Dont race any GM product against a corvette....
And definitely don't race a privately built Corvette against works Corvettes... as proved by the Lou Gigliotti case.
Old 4 Jun 2011, 02:32 (Ref:2890853)   #37
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
Alrighty it appears you can homologate a car for racing 7 years after it finished production, looks like the Monaro is eligible.