Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Feb 2017, 13:06 (Ref:3713374)   #51
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmm. full in Bath, nearest one I've been able to get into is Basingstoke.

The "Historic Racing Today" forum is going to be a bit quiet tomorrow night
Old 20 Feb 2017, 13:14 (Ref:3713376)   #52
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Hmm. full in Bath, nearest one I've been able to get into is Basingstoke.

The "Historic Racing Today" forum is going to be a bit quiet tomorrow night
Don't worry - Gerard & I can just talk amongst ourselves!!

...and don't forget to switch off your 'devices' during the film.
Old 20 Feb 2017, 13:36 (Ref:3713384)   #53
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
From Bob and Mike's posts, I have visions of clandestine rendevous between tenthers in low-lit maccy-Ds around the country, with a rolled up copy of Motorsport News (or other) tucked under the arm......
Old 20 Feb 2017, 14:24 (Ref:3713393)   #54
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post

...and don't forget to switch off your 'devices' during the film.
What about Mike's pacemaker? Should that be switched off?
Old 20 Feb 2017, 14:29 (Ref:3713394)   #55
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
What about Mike's pacemaker? Should that be switched off?
You are so cruel, Bob! Your hearing aid should be switched off though.
Old 20 Feb 2017, 14:35 (Ref:3713396)   #56
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
From Bob and Mike's posts, I have visions of clandestine rendevous between tenthers in low-lit maccy-Ds around the country, with a rolled up copy of Motorsport News (or other) tucked under the arm......
Motor Sport surely ?
Old 20 Feb 2017, 15:43 (Ref:3713422)   #57
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Old 20 Feb 2017, 16:24 (Ref:3713443)   #58
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Motor Sport surely ?
Too posh.....
Old 20 Feb 2017, 18:42 (Ref:3713477)   #59
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
As long as we are not joined by the dirty mac brigade, that's almost a good idea!
Old 20 Feb 2017, 19:17 (Ref:3713485)   #60
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Too posh.....
Did I not say ? A classic edition from the 60's, of course, not one full of watch adverts
Old 20 Feb 2017, 19:18 (Ref:3713486)   #61
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I do not know the venue, so have arranged to meet a friend at a nearby McDonalds, as this should be fairly easy to find, at 7.30pm so if you want to say hello look out for my Bauble badge. Or two older gentlemen, though I suspect there will be a lot of us of a similar age lurking about.

Bob.
Down in London tomorrow so timing may be a little flexible; will look out for you one way or t'other.
Old 20 Feb 2017, 19:47 (Ref:3713493)   #62
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Did I not say ? A classic edition from the 60's, of course, not one full of watch adverts
Thanks for the clarification!

The 'premier' seating is now sold out at my local- last minute rush!
Old 21 Feb 2017, 11:07 (Ref:3713642)   #63
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I hope you all publish a critique of the film on here after you've seen it for those of us with a not allowed out after lighting up time curfew...
Old 21 Feb 2017, 11:09 (Ref:3713643)   #64
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I hope you all publish a critique of the film on here after you've seen it for those of us with a not allowed out after lighting up time curfew...
You've beaten me to it - I was thinking of that!
Old 21 Feb 2017, 16:00 (Ref:3713700)   #65
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Hopefully most of us will give at least a brief review so's anyone wanting the DVD will have a bit of an idea.....
Old 21 Feb 2017, 16:46 (Ref:3713710)   #66
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And make sure you're all home by 10.30pm!
Old 21 Feb 2017, 16:48 (Ref:3713711)   #67
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Yes, Dad!
Old 21 Feb 2017, 16:58 (Ref:3713713)   #68
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Mike won't be if he misses the last train!
Old 21 Feb 2017, 17:49 (Ref:3713731)   #69
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Have to be, that's past my bedtime!
Old 21 Feb 2017, 17:51 (Ref:3713732)   #70
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
So glad that it's half-term, as you wouldn't have let us go on a school day!
Old 21 Feb 2017, 19:01 (Ref:3713747)   #71
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I've got to be up at 4.30. Mallory testing
Old 21 Feb 2017, 22:50 (Ref:3713824)   #72
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I've got to be up at 4.30. Mallory testing
didn't see you there Iain, did you skip it?

Bit of a proverbial curate's egg; shame they couldn't come up with a better narrator than Murray past his best coupled with that David Croft chap. Think there were a few 'lost in translation' errors, completely ignored the recent history of ownership, funding etc and rather glossed over Touristfahrten too.
Seven out of ten.
Old 21 Feb 2017, 23:01 (Ref:3713826)   #73
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
It was blooming dark in there DAVID . Sorry but thought it was all a waist of time . I did enjoy the last bit with JYS . That old bird next to him is not unkind on the eye .
Old 21 Feb 2017, 23:18 (Ref:3713831)   #74
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
It was blooming dark in there DAVID . Sorry but thought it was all a waist of time . I did enjoy the last bit with JYS . That old bird next to him is not unkind on the eye .
It kept me awake, which is saying something when I am watching a film (managed to sleep virtually the whole way through the 1st Star Wars film when I took my boys to see it some 30 odd years ago).

Trying to squeeze 90 years of history into 110 minutes means somethings were going to be cut short, and I got the sense that most of the crowd up here (split 60/40 youngish to oldish with the cinema 95% full) were actually more interested in the long gone past rather than the recent history.

And Lady Helen is a lovely person. Had the pleasure of meeting her for the first time about 50 years ago when Jackie and I were both testing at Brands, and I spent a little time talking to both of them between sessions. So sad that she suffers from dementia now.
Old 21 Feb 2017, 23:39 (Ref:3713835)   #75
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could have done with the first half being longer. Once F1 left, things got a little less - shall we say, heroic?
Fascinating how the description of the origins totally avoided the H-word, and when Goering was presenting the silver salvers, the film clip was suddenly ended just as their hands got to just below shoulder level. But they had found some wonderful clips of the old days - I've seen a few before but none of these.

Interviews with the still living heroes were good too, esp. Moss and Stewart. Mass was good value too. And wonderful to hear Murray Walkers voice again.

5/10
John