Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Oct 2000, 06:29 (Ref:41897)   #1
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Ford finally did it, they had a win in the V8 Shell Australian Touring Car Championship round at Sandown. Who would have picked it? And how good was Steven Ellery in the Super Cheap Ford. What does everyone think of the battle between Holden and Ford now? Does Ford have the edge in straight line speed, or is it just a matter or driver winning out, in Paul Radisich? I'd love to hear what you think.
Old 9 Oct 2000, 08:12 (Ref:41911)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I wore the Super Cheap Auto Racing cap that the team gave me when i went and interviewed them at the start of the season with pride today. What an effort! I think had qualifying not been in the wet, Ellery wouldn't have been up there, he was a lucky one to be out there at the end when the fast times happened. But it was still a fantastic effort.

I don't think this was a big boost for parity, i mean how much of an aerodynamics track is Sandown? Not much...

Still, roll on Bathurst!!
Old 9 Oct 2000, 20:16 (Ref:42030)   #3
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're going to be left with the task, Crash Test, of cheering on The Rat on The Mountain. Make sure every Ten-Tenths member scares the shyte out of Muller and Plato, too.

It feels like the 'good old days' somewhat: Holden Racing Team in a straight fight with Dick Johnson Racing. Oh how many times we have been witness to that over the years. Bring it on!!
Old 10 Oct 2000, 00:09 (Ref:42084)   #4
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sandown a Horsepower Track.

No it doesn't do anything for the parity issue as Sandown is a track about Horsepower. The long main straight and that very fast back straight with the little dip at the end which stuffs up any chance of maintaining downforce. However it is still good to see that Ford finally got a win, it does wonders for the sport in terms of popularity amongst Australian viewers. I mean who really wants to see either manufacturer dominating, and I hope the Toyota thing pays off so we can see a three way battle for supremacy. Or has that idea been canned? I haven't been up with that one lately. Anyway Bathurst should be interesting, I might even be going, if my QLD trip falls through.
Old 10 Oct 2000, 00:18 (Ref:42085)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What Auto Action write, and what is the truth are two completly seperate things...Nobody in that article said that Toyota are going into V8s!

I've been told by some people in the know, that Toyota WILL go into V8s, so long as it is using their own engine. Avesco, wanting to keep costs down, and current equipment and development in circulation, will only allow Toyota to enter if they are to use a Chev engine. Toyota wont have it, end of story....a bit sad really...
Old 10 Oct 2000, 01:44 (Ref:42090)   #6
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
what about miss shell chick sharon...didnt see her on the always pathetic shell podium, maybe mark oastlers big fat red head was in the way.....well done to ford, bout time, bring on bathurst, tander for champion....
Old 10 Oct 2000, 04:46 (Ref:42095)   #7
montoya
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leeds, Yorkshire
montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
5/7 wins

Hey,

I find it interesting that since the introduction of the new front spoiler, ford has won 5/7 races! Is this coincidence or could it be a changing of the guard
Old 10 Oct 2000, 11:15 (Ref:42120)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Ah, no. Calder and Sandown aren't exactly aerodynamicly sensitive tracks, and if Ford has such a power advantage ( as we all saw on the weekend) they probably had every right to win those races. Saying that, the Ford boys have obviously pulled their fingers out...

Bathurst will tell the answer...
Old 11 Oct 2000, 18:57 (Ref:42384)   #9
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Isn't Bathurst the biggest power track of them all? I mean, last year the Commodore was way ahead of the Falcon in terms of handling and yet it was a Ford which set the pace for all but the last twenty laps.

It could be somewhat lopsided, as long as the Shell 18 car holds together for that last hour. I guess it'll be up to Muller and Plato to save the day for Holden!!

MULLER!!

PLATO!!
Old 17 Oct 2000, 02:01 (Ref:43266)   #10
montoya
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leeds, Yorkshire
montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi!!

well what about now after Ford has won 7/10 races!! Should have been 8, but Ingall as usual punts other drivers out of the way!
Old 21 Oct 2000, 06:10 (Ref:43834)   #11
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A good effort from DJR About time a Ford took some wins, now for a repeat of Bathurst 1977!
Old 25 Oct 2000, 15:21 (Ref:44734)   #12
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Would that, by chance, be the year in which Moffat won the Great Race?

No FTR though. A DJR win, followed by HRT #2 would be nice...
Old 25 Oct 2000, 21:27 (Ref:44785)   #13
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Danielson

1977 would be one of the four (count them) years in which Moffatt won the great race in a V8, he nearly made it 5 in a Mazda.

The significance of 1977 was the one, two victory by the "Moffatt Ford Dealers" this is music to my ears. Second was Colin Bond in a car that was held back so that the boss with no brakes (from memory smoke pouring from the right hand front wheel under brakes) could take the flag.

Seaton is due for a win, and I hope he gets it.
Old 29 Oct 2000, 18:34 (Ref:45643)   #14
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
1977 would be the year in which Moffat was handed the race win by his team. That, in my book, is not a win and I think Craig will back me up on that one (read: Hakkinen)...
Old 29 Oct 2000, 23:48 (Ref:45778)   #15
Airhead
Veteran

1977 was the year Moffatt won. He was leading virtually for the entire race and as for being handed the win by his team, he owned the team so in making sure his Falcon crossed the line before his team mates it was his call. He did not inheret the lead, that is no one dropped out in front of him, he simply had the second car go slower (not pass him) for the last few laps.

He managed all of this without resorting to the Holden tactic of having Brock swap cars when his was stuffed. They did this by entering all drivers for all the cars.

Yeh, I know I took the bait hook line and sinker!