Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 19 Mar 2007, 22:02 (Ref:1871798)   #1
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sparco Open Face Helmet Change?

Hi Guys,

After i rolled the car and damaged my old Sparco Open faced helmet, i obviously had to get a new one; So i went for the same again. However this time i noticed the Chin strap is a Yellow piece with a Clip on the end thats totally not adjustable. On the old helmet this was a Black strap with Velcro and a Red Cover to go over it.

Now the first time i used the helmet i found that the chin strap was way too loose; Where as on the old one it could be adjusted. Incidently while taking off the new helmet the little clip that fastens the strap has "Pulled out".

Anyone else found this with new sparco helmets vs. the old ones ? Given light of a few accidents recently where helmets dont seem to have stayed on properly this change seems ill advised ??

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 20 Mar 2007, 08:48 (Ref:1872073)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Are you 100% sure that it's not adjustable? That seems like a very odd change, also if the clip has "pulled out" would it be worth sending it back to be checked over? It's your head in there so it's got to be worth making sure everything is ok.
Old 20 Mar 2007, 23:25 (Ref:1872698)   #3
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As attached.

I havnt seen anyone else with this strap
Attached Thumbnails
1-011.jpg   1-013.jpg  

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 21 Mar 2007, 08:12 (Ref:1872883)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oops!

From your pics I think you're using the velcro to adjust the strap. I'm afraid this is totally incorrect.

You need to feed the strap through the two rings, then feed it back through one of the rings. This creates an interference "clutch" system. The popper is just to tidy things up it doesn't hold the helmet on in an incident.

Please check this with someone at the race because if you are doing what I think you are doing you are putting yourself in serious danger.

This goes for anyone who is unsure of how to do up a helmet.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 08:59 (Ref:1872913)   #5
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
The little red tab is to help the Rescue crew/ marshals loosen the strap to remove the helmet should the unthinkable occur.

I've just checked and my Sparco formula full face helmet has the same strap. Peters instructions are correct.

Last edited by rescue dude; 21 Mar 2007 at 09:02.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 09:21 (Ref:1872928)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude
The little red tab is to help the Rescue crew/ marshals loosen the strap to remove the helmet should the unthinkable occur.
Just generally makes getting the helmet undone easier (I though the strap was usually cut if rescue/marshals needed to get your lid off).

Peter is right though - the only change on the helmet looks to be the popper to keep the 'spare' bit of strap tidy, nothing has changed in the way the helmet itself is fastened (which is as Peter describes). Try fastening/unfastening it a few times at home to get the hang of it and if you're unsure definitely get someone to check - it's your head (and that's reasonably important ) so it's best to be sure.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 11:44 (Ref:1873017)   #7
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
Just generally makes getting the helmet undone easier (I though the strap was usually cut if rescue/marshals needed to get your lid off).
If we can avoid cutting the strap and writing off your lid then generally we will; unless the helmet has suffered any damage in which case cutting the strap is academic.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 12:32 (Ref:1873050)   #8
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Peter is quite right. Here is a pic of the correct way to thread the strap.

Regards

Jim

Hmm - that's odd. I can't get the page for adding attachments to load. Will try later.

Last edited by JimW; 21 Mar 2007 at 12:34.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 12:52 (Ref:1873065)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oops. Wrong thread.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 18:18 (Ref:1873205)   #10
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Hi Peter,

Might of explained it slightly wrong, there is no velcro at all on this strap, however the instructions you gave me do fit my old helmet. I was aware of the red piece to release the helmet and acctually broke the clip checking it. But the yellow piece seems too long... ?

Old 21 Mar 2007, 20:01 (Ref:1873289)   #11
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do not sell Sparco helmets, but from your picture everything looks okay.
If, like Peter wrote, you feed the strap through both rings and then loop it back over the first ring and under the second ring there should be no problem.
Pull hard to secure it.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 20:30 (Ref:1873359)   #12
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Top notch stuff gang

It all makes sence now

Old 21 Mar 2007, 21:33 (Ref:1873411)   #13
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's the picture I was after.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
HelmetStrapFixing.JPG  
Old 21 Mar 2007, 22:18 (Ref:1873442)   #14
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
now all i have to do is get it sent back to get the clip repaired. Much appriciated guys.

Old 21 Mar 2007, 22:34 (Ref:1873459)   #15
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would,nt it have been a good idea to supply instructions with the helmet that explained the method to secure the strap?
Old 22 Mar 2007, 05:52 (Ref:1873557)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm,

Must say that you could be right.
Old 22 Mar 2007, 17:15 (Ref:1873868)   #17
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
It comes with instructions for the old velcro system.....

Old 23 Mar 2007, 08:52 (Ref:1874309)   #18
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
The old helmets worked on exactly the same principle - pass the strap through both metal rings then back through one of them - the velcro was just to keep the 'spare' bit of strap from flapping around.