Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 18 Jan 2018, 19:32 (Ref:3793617)   #1401
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
...but they're still known for it.

Nowadays they would not be able to use it - encouraging over-eating/ unhealthy lifestyle is a no no.

I was genuinely surprised when I found out Motorbase were only running two motors. As has been said, AJ had to go because of the three car sponsorship deal, which given is a multi season deal I for one (wrongly?) assumed for the three cars for the duration.
Old 18 Jan 2018, 19:38 (Ref:3793618)   #1402
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
...but they're still known for it.

Nowadays they would not be able to use it - encouraging over-eating/ unhealthy lifestyle is a no no.

I was genuinely surprised when I found out Motorbase were only running two motors. As has been said, AJ had to go because of the three car sponsorship deal, which given is a multi season deal I for one (wrongly?) assumed for the three cars for the duration.
Maybe two strong drivers seemed a better bet than one strong + 2 (er?) not so strong drivers seemed a better idea?
Old 18 Jan 2018, 19:59 (Ref:3793623)   #1403
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Proctor will be back at PowerMaxed and I wouldn't be surprised to see him blow Josh Cook away
Absolutely no chance in my opinion, i can really see Josh making the step up to top drawer this year.
Old 18 Jan 2018, 20:00 (Ref:3793624)   #1404
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Maybe two strong drivers seemed a better bet than one strong + 2 (er?) not so strong drivers seemed a better idea?
The issue Motorbase had was last year the 3rd car was run using a loaned TBL from Welch Motorsport, which Welch sold to Tony Gilham for this year. Motorbase were left with only 2 TBL’s, but if Mr a Tordoff has one, I’m sure Mr Bartrum would be delighted to make use of it for him.
Old 18 Jan 2018, 22:14 (Ref:3793655)   #1405
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
If a certain Cereal company have the predominant sponsorship on the RS, then JCT may not have to cough up that much. I can’t see Motorbase running a 3rd car in a different livery as they wouldn’t do it for Jordan & Pirtek last year!
Jordan not being at Motorbase last year had nothing to do with the Shredded Wheat sponsorship.
Old 18 Jan 2018, 22:23 (Ref:3793658)   #1406
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Jordan not being at Motorbase last year had nothing to do with the Shredded Wheat sponsorship.
I’d heard that rumour before but didn’t know how much ‘spin’ was put on the ‘exit story’, thanks
Old 18 Jan 2018, 23:50 (Ref:3793686)   #1407
RS67
Veteran

I am wondering how much longer BMR are going to be around. Low budget last year with barely any pre season testing and no money to reshell Plato's car. Now unpaid bills. It's not looking good and that's supposed to be a manufacturer team. Up until Sutton announcing this years drive i was beginning to wonder if we would see them at all this year let alone next year.
Old 19 Jan 2018, 00:20 (Ref:3793692)   #1408
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a lot of serious jumping to conclusions with BMR. I have no idea of the inside story regarding bills etc, but frankly some of the posters here should be ashamed. If true, these are internal, private matters that should not be discussed in an open forum for pure, idle speculation.

Please can we move back on to driver/team/car lineup rumours, we are surely heading to another classic BTCC year, can we not focus on positives to look forward to?!
Old 19 Jan 2018, 07:39 (Ref:3793738)   #1409
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After speaking to Sam on twitter he said who says i am racing in the BTCC so either your all barking up the wrong tree or he's winding us up.
Old 19 Jan 2018, 09:27 (Ref:3793765)   #1410
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post
There is a lot of serious jumping to conclusions with BMR. I have no idea of the inside story regarding bills etc, but frankly some of the posters here should be ashamed. If true, these are internal, private matters that should not be discussed in an open forum for pure, idle speculation.

Please can we move back on to driver/team/car lineup rumours, we are surely heading to another classic BTCC year, can we not focus on positives to look forward to?!
**This is not just in relation to the comments made on here about BMR**
As far as I am aware, no one has posted any specific details (invoice numbers, dates etc.) about 'who owes who else how much money', but I suppose the information as anecdotal in the same way as a lot of the 'who is going to be driving for which team' posts.
If teams are owing their suppliers money this could have an impact on the BTCC which we all must so obviously care about (otherwise we wouldn't be posting on here?) In the long run, the un-paid suppliers may find themselves unable to pay their employees (through no fault if their own), or they may decide as far as the BTCC goes stuff that for a game of soldiers and leave the series, which would have a detrimental effect wouldn't it?
The thread is called the Rumours & Silly Season thread, not all of these speculations & rumours are true, but negative information (especially if based on fact) is important to help counterbalance the totally outrageous speculations and help keep things a little more realistic.
(Sorry, rant over, I'll sit in a darkened room and calm down now! )

Last edited by VIVA GT; 19 Jan 2018 at 09:34.
Old 19 Jan 2018, 09:34 (Ref:3793767)   #1411
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicross424 View Post
After speaking to Sam on twitter he said who says i am racing in the BTCC so either your all barking up the wrong tree or he's winding us up.
of course he would not confirm or deny anything until its announced. everyone does that!
Old 19 Jan 2018, 09:51 (Ref:3793769)   #1412
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just dreaming. Wouldn't it be lovely for Toyota UK to back Speedworks in 2019 to re-launch the Corolla name. https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...uris-successor
Old 19 Jan 2018, 10:05 (Ref:3793770)   #1413
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think most drivers are too busy trying to get their deals sorted to speak about their plans
Old 19 Jan 2018, 10:14 (Ref:3793772)   #1414
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
**This is not just in relation to the comments made on here about BMR**
As far as I am aware, no one has posted any specific details (invoice numbers, dates etc.) about 'who owes who else how much money', but I suppose the information as anecdotal in the same way as a lot of the 'who is going to be driving for which team' posts.
If teams are owing their suppliers money this could have an impact on the BTCC which we all must so obviously care about (otherwise we wouldn't be posting on here?) In the long run, the un-paid suppliers may find themselves unable to pay their employees (through no fault if their own), or they may decide as far as the BTCC goes stuff that for a game of soldiers and leave the series, which would have a detrimental effect wouldn't it?
The thread is called the Rumours & Silly Season thread, not all of these speculations & rumours are true, but negative information (especially if based on fact) is important to help counterbalance the totally outrageous speculations and help keep things a little more realistic.
(Sorry, rant over, I'll sit in a darkened room and calm down now! )
I agree. If a team still owes suppliers from last year. That tells me they only got through last year by not paying their bills. It then raises the question, do they have the funds to see this season through. Motorbase had two big name sponsors pull out on them just before the season started a few years back. That left them in the unfortunate position of having to go to AG and tell him they didn't have the money for a full season. Luckily they were allowed to compete in just the 2nd half of the season.
As you say this thread is about rumours and driver signings for the 2018 season. A teams financial position can have an impact on whether a driver is prepared to risk his sponsorship on a drive or not.
I think someone spread himself too thinly being involved in too many teams and it has all comeback and bit him on the backside. There would appear to have been a lot of offloading of assets from that since the end of last season. Hopefully suppliers will be paid and a concerted effort made to ensure they have the funds for a full on season. I suppose we will know a bit more once preseason testing begins.
Old 19 Jan 2018, 10:36 (Ref:3793776)   #1415
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
What happened to that revolutionary recovery truck the BTCC was going to introduce?
Old 19 Jan 2018, 10:42 (Ref:3793777)   #1416
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
What happened to that revolutionary recovery truck the BTCC was going to introduce?
Why

Alex Martin isn't coming back is he?
Old 19 Jan 2018, 10:45 (Ref:3793778)   #1417
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They introduced the new recovery system last year and it was used several times.
Old 19 Jan 2018, 10:59 (Ref:3793781)   #1418
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It's not the truck as such, but the mounting system. Look at photos of cars from last year and you will see green logos on the sunstrip or just above and that's where the hooks mount from the recovery vehicle.
Old 19 Jan 2018, 11:05 (Ref:3793782)   #1419
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
I agree. If a team still owes suppliers from last year. That tells me they only got through last year by not paying their bills. It then raises the question, do they have the funds to see this season through. Motorbase had two big name sponsors pull out on them just before the season started a few years back. That left them in the unfortunate position of having to go to AG and tell him they didn't have the money for a full season. Luckily they were allowed to compete in just the 2nd half of the season.
As you say this thread is about rumours and driver signings for the 2018 season. A teams financial position can have an impact on whether a driver is prepared to risk his sponsorship on a drive or not.
I think someone spread himself too thinly being involved in too many teams and it has all comeback and bit him on the backside. There would appear to have been a lot of offloading of assets from that since the end of last season. Hopefully suppliers will be paid and a concerted effort made to ensure they have the funds for a full on season. I suppose we will know a bit more once preseason testing begins.
The difference is Motorbase is run by a man with decent standards and would rather park his cars up than run up bills. Unlike many who think they have a God given right to go racing
Old 19 Jan 2018, 11:06 (Ref:3793783)   #1420
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Hmm ok. I don’t remember seeing it.
Old 19 Jan 2018, 11:07 (Ref:3793784)   #1421
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
It's not the truck as such, but the mounting system. Look at photos of cars from last year and you will see green logos on the sunstrip or just above and that's where the hooks mount from the recovery vehicle.
Not new this system has been on all LMES cars.for years
Old 19 Jan 2018, 11:30 (Ref:3793790)   #1422
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Hmm ok. I don’t remember seeing it.
its a recovery full-lift system that all btcc cars have installed in their cage. same as carrera cup.
it was used all the time last year in btcc
Old 19 Jan 2018, 11:53 (Ref:3793795)   #1423
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Old 19 Jan 2018, 12:03 (Ref:3793801)   #1424
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
The difference is Motorbase is run by a man with decent standards and would rather park his cars up than run up bills. Unlike many who think they have a God given right to go racing
You're probably right. It's bad enough when teams struggle when a sponsor let's them down, but you can't expect to run a season on the hope it may bring more sponsorship and not hurt others financially as a result.
Makes you wonder how big/small last year's budget was, especially with the lack of preseason testing and how big this years budget will be. I suspect some of the smaller independent teams will be better funded and prepared at the start of the season.
Old 19 Jan 2018, 12:04 (Ref:3793802)   #1425
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
@VIVA GT & RS67: Well said Sirs.

Re: the Toyota story: the Auris replacement may well be renamed Corolla here in Britain and Europe. Don't believe the decision has been signed off yet. However I am told it will not be in British showrooms 'til 2019: so possibly manufacturer involvement for next season?

Avensis won't be replaced with a 3 box saloon; nobody buys these here anymore - except posh models like the Audi A4 and Merc C.