Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 11 Mar 2000, 22:04 (Ref:7035)   #1
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While I was doing research on the Ford GT40, I came across this information. NASCAR driver Dick Hutcherson co-drove with Ronnie Bucknam, a Holman and Moody prepared Ford GT40 Mk II to a third place finish in the 1966 Le Mans 24 Hours--the first time he had seen this track. Not bad for a midwest dirt track stock car driver who mainly turned left, huh? I also know that this race ended in the rain.

Dick Hutcherson would have surely ranked higher amongst the NASCAR greats if he wouldn't have retired so early (after three seasons). With all the hoopla about Tony Stewart winning three races in his rookie year, how about what Dick Hutcherson did. Finished 2nd in the final point standings and won nine races his rookie season. However, he didn't win the rookie of the year award that season because he was deemed inegible for the award because NASCAR had a rule that if you had won a championship in another pro series, you were ineligible for rookie of the year. Hutcherson had won two championships in 1963 and 1964 in the International Motor Contest Association (IMCA) late model series.

At any rate, I wanted to post this information so that others could learn about an all-time great who shouldn't be forgotten. Perhaps if had he not retired after the 1967 season, he could have been known as one of the greatest in all of motorsport.

To check out more, go to: www.nascar.com/news/2000/0218/998289.html

[This message has been edited by Joe Fan (edited 12 March 2000).]
Old 12 Mar 2000, 01:03 (Ref:7036)   #2
Redneck
Racer

Redneck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dick who???

Thanks for the news Joe. It was something new for me. Pretty impressive rookie.

Love the LeMans part especially. Make those uppity Euro's think twice about the special skills it takes to make a right turn.
Old 12 Mar 2000, 22:32 (Ref:7037)   #3
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A classic reason why I get so iritated with the NASCAR officials. They change the rules so often it's pathetic, and it seems like they do this in a show of favoritism almost every time as well.

That is really lame! And people always ask "Is NASCAR rigged?" When they do stuff like that the answer is obvious...
Old 13 Mar 2000, 01:13 (Ref:7038)   #4
Redneck
Racer

Redneck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't quite call it rigged. The rules always change in every racing series ever devised.
Old 14 Mar 2000, 20:51 (Ref:7039)   #5
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least when NASCAR "rigs" a series, it's to guarantee close competition rather than to assure a particular outcome.

Joe, I was always a fan of the Ford GT40 and Ken Miles. Let us know what you learn in your research.

[This message has been edited by Neil C (edited 14 March 2000).]