Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 25 Mar 2000, 18:54 (Ref:7101)   #1
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Managed to watch Nascar racing cartoon while having breakfast. Been wanting
to check it out badly. Man,
Nascar's marketing machine is scary and impressive!!
Interesting, cars/ideas loosely based on Nascar naturally. There was some
cars that loosely
resembled the Dodge Viper, Corvette, Firebird racing in the series.
Interesting, there are different spoilers allowed--some traditional Nascar
and then some FIA BMW GT2 type looking. Kinda funny.

Had make believe sponsors like Fizz Cola, another logo looking vaguely like
Mobil 1. Funny, they had a scene where an engine hood is lifted and guess what I see under the hood? A K&N filter!!! No name or logo was displayed, but you can get the idea. Also had a scene where Fizz Cola tried to lure a driver away from one team. Had a short scene set in Nascar Museum where they spliced in real life Nascar race in it. It had a scene where it mentions about one driver being third generation Nascar driver like father and grandfather. Soft/mushy part??

Very interesting and impressive in certain details and recreation sense
underneath it. I like the idea.

Even though I have only watched one epsisode, I think I can guess the ongoing bigger storyline. Some guy who owns an engine company called Fastech wants to start a new Nascar racing series called Nascar unlimited (literally anything goes--turbochargers,wings: very open rules). Is this Nascar's future? The guy and this "enemy" (forget his name) both fell for
the same woman back in the younger years. Guy won, enemy bitter. 20-30 years later when both are in 40/50s, enemy still bitter. The enemy goes after the guy businesswise, makes his life miserable. Enemy even goes to the trouble of purchasing/taking over the guy's bank to try and force him to repay loan. Enemy even starts a competing team called Rex racing in this new series. Enemy wants to crush guy, but still has a soft spot for woman.

Politically correct ideas/scenes: Guy's wife spends her free time trying to save rain forests!! Woman, non-Americans like a "girl friendly" Italian(??), some unnamed European (we are told he is ex-Euro racing car
driver!!!) and African American are racing in the top teams (Fastech/Rex Racing) in Nascar.

Funny how the series is set in the "future" but they still talk about carbeuretors (sp)!! The engine looks quite high tech otherwise. I guess Nascar is trying to make a statement.

PS: Too bad there isn't a series for ST or SP!! =) Anyone else catch this series? Maybe Bernie should start a F1 one??? ;-)

Old 27 Mar 2000, 03:25 (Ref:7102)   #2
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I haven't had a chance to see an episode yet but my seven year old daughter has and she told me about it one morning. I guess I am going to have to be a kid again and get up early, eat Captain Crunch cereal and watch it with her.
Old 2 Apr 2000, 03:24 (Ref:7103)   #3
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, I finally watch this cartoon this morning and I thought it was kind of stupid. It was nothing like I expected. It didn't seem to have very much to do with NASCAR in my opinion.
Old 3 Apr 2000, 19:26 (Ref:7104)   #4
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps I overly got your hopes? It's not Japanse anime level in terms of story and detail development, but it's the best regular saturday cartoon in a long while.

Pokemon doesn't count since it's Japanese anime.