Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Aug 2016, 22:31 (Ref:3663347)   #1076
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
You mean the 3 AMG-GTs that finished in the top 10? All of whom benefited from effeictvely serving a lap's fewer penalty thanks to some poor stewarding and Seefried doing a Kogay? Add that lap back on and they're not that close to a victory at all.

But nobody is denying that they were fast, and consistently moving up the grid. Which only makes the question of why Mercedes would openly flaunt the rules that much more puzzling, as they stood a great chance of winning with 6 cars in the top 20 anyway, even if they weren't locking out the front 2-3 rows.
Old 3 Aug 2016, 23:06 (Ref:3663355)   #1077
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
and Seefried doing a Kogay?
You know he had a flat tire rite?

-mike
Old 4 Aug 2016, 06:16 (Ref:3663385)   #1078
Mitchi_S
Racer

Germany
LG
Mitchi_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Congratulations Scudd. Getting through any 24 hour race is an achievement to be celebrated

Onto a more sour topic, just heard on MWM (from Goodwin) that it definitely wasn't just the ignition timing of the Superpole AMG-GTs that caught the stewards' attention. His interpretation of Mercedes' statement (I've not seen it yet) is that Mercedes basically admit to all the changes, but they try to argue that they didn't know it was strictly illegal.
From what I've been told by a Black Falcon employee it's basically this: What has happened with the engine is legal to FIA standards, and approved by them, but not approved by SRO, which is why they got that penalty. Mercedes-Benz might now take action against the SRO.

If I were Dr. Ulrich, I wouldn't even dare to go near any race track anymore.
Old 4 Aug 2016, 07:10 (Ref:3663392)   #1079
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post

Alan Partridge is team manager of Parker?
That's just sooooo cruel!

(Poor Stuart and the team had a pretty difficult weekend)
Old 4 Aug 2016, 07:59 (Ref:3663396)   #1080
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchi_S View Post
From what I've been told by a Black Falcon employee it's basically this: What has happened with the engine is legal to FIA standards, and approved by them, but not approved by SRO, which is why they got that penalty. Mercedes-Benz might now take action against the SRO.

If I were Dr. Ulrich, I wouldn't even dare to go near any race track anymore.
THIS.
Old 4 Aug 2016, 09:30 (Ref:3663401)   #1081
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
You know he had a flat tire rite?

-mike
I didn't, thanks for letting me know. On the off-chance that you're reading this Marco, I apologize for making a poor and incorrect joke at your expense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchi_S
That seems very odd, what reason is there for the FIA & SRO rules differing in this case? But the Spa 24h is an SRO race first and foremost, so what basis would Mercedes have for legal action? Would they argue that the SRO should have had the same rules as the FIA in this case, or that the distinction wasn't clear enough?
Old 4 Aug 2016, 14:41 (Ref:3663436)   #1082
Mitchi_S
Racer

Germany
LG
Quote:
That seems very odd, what reason is there for the FIA & SRO rules differing in this case? But the Spa 24h is an SRO race first and foremost, so what basis would Mercedes have for legal action? Would they argue that the SRO should have had the same rules as the FIA in this case, or that the distinction wasn't clear enough?
To be honest, I'm not sure. Maybe the former, though I'd rather suspect the latter. Maybe the FIA is rated higher than the SRO in such a case, or the SRO has bound itself to use FIA rules and didn't this time? I don't really know. Maybe I'll get some more info about this.
Old 4 Aug 2016, 17:08 (Ref:3663449)   #1083
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all I just signed up my self in this forum after browsing it searching for infos. I apologize if my english is not perfect not being my native language. Anyway I'm working with some friends of mine on a GT3 mod for assetto corse and I would ask to experts 2 questions:

1. in BES and BSS, each car model uses the stock fuel tank or tank size car by car is decided by BOP (like WEC and VLN)

2. in BES and BSS, each different car model uses the same tires size supplied by pirelli, or pirelli supplies each team according to homologation tires size of each car model?
Old 4 Aug 2016, 17:30 (Ref:3663453)   #1084
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think the fuel tank size is restricted in BES because it's all limited by the stint length. Maximum stint length permitted by the rules is 65 minutes (extended to 70 minutes under yellow IIRC). So you can have a huge fuel tank but it doesn't matter. Engines will run with air restrictors so you can't really burn more fuel either. It's ann easy way of balancing fuel consumption.

BSS are 1 hour races I think. There is no refueling.
Old 4 Aug 2016, 18:02 (Ref:3663463)   #1085
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
As I understand it (I don't really follow the BES/BSS series intensely), the stint lengths are determined by the 65 minute max time limit. This is one thing that DSC did mention that they feel would be prudent for the BES to suspend for the Spa 24. After all, the ADAC and the ACO don't do such a thing for their 24 hour races at Nurburgring and Le Mans.

And as Akrapovic also mentioned, the sprint races are basically an hour plus one lap. In that situation, if you don't have to refuel, you won't just to save time. I know that ACO spec GTE cars can go nearly an hour on their fuel tankage, and I believe that the GT3 cars have larger tanks to extend their range at least by a few minutes. In that case, there's no incentive to pit for fuel when there's no need to due to the short time of the race.
Old 4 Aug 2016, 18:39 (Ref:3663467)   #1086
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchi_S View Post
or the SRO has bound itself to use FIA rules and didn't this time?
The sporting regulations refer to the FIA's rulebook:

Quote:
ELIGIBLE CARS
10. Events are first and foremost reserved for the following categories of cars:
1) GT3 cars with an FIA homologation as defined by the applicable technical regulations (Article 257A of Appendix J) [...]
Old 5 Aug 2016, 10:20 (Ref:3663549)   #1087
Mitchi_S
Racer

Germany
LG
So going by that Mercedes-Benz did nothing wrong.
Old 5 Aug 2016, 18:21 (Ref:3663651)   #1088
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregUK View Post
That's just sooooo cruel!

(Poor Stuart and the team had a pretty difficult weekend)
Sorry
Old 12 Aug 2016, 09:19 (Ref:3665326)   #1089
TomVanRompaey
Rookie

Belgium
TomVanRompaey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi everybody

I would like to share this video with you.

I'm a journalist for the Belgian sports channel Sport 40 and this is a 30' highlights program I've produced about the Spa 24 Hours. It's in Dutch. Enjoy!
Old 28 Aug 2016, 10:38 (Ref:3667999)   #1090
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
So there's a stricken car on track which will need recovery ...

... and there's no immediate SC call ...

... and everyone ignores the double yellows ...

... and just before the field goes past a tractor crosses the track.

I'm struggling to be civil, because I don't think anybody comes out of that one well.

Last edited by J Jay; 28 Aug 2016 at 10:48.
Old 28 Aug 2016, 10:43 (Ref:3668001)   #1091
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
That makes even Enzo Ide's dirty moves (yesterday, and today at the start) look like nothing at all.
Old 28 Aug 2016, 11:29 (Ref:3668013)   #1092
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
It's about 30 minutes too late (and conveniently a post-race affair), but it's good to see the unsafe release of the #1 being looked at.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 11:09 (Ref:3673641)   #1093
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
So the 'Ring endurance race is happening in about 90 minutes. Stolz is on pole for Grasser (#19) after a shortened session due to fog.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 11:48 (Ref:3673649)   #1094
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Oops, thought it was 1:45 local time, seems I rushed back too soon...
Old 18 Sep 2016, 12:45 (Ref:3673657)   #1095
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
Big shunt for #59 G59 McLaren, their race is done.

Bortolotti into second, Stolz leads.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 12:49 (Ref:3673660)   #1096
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Yay! Safety car fest again!
Old 18 Sep 2016, 12:57 (Ref:3673662)   #1097
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
Good racing behind the two lead Lambos. Stevens still 3rd, Vervisch 4th, Ordonez 5th, Baumann down to 6th with Haupt just behind.

Edit - What exactly did Soulet think would happen if he stayed tucked under Rugolo for the whole pit straight? That's not going to get you past.

Stevens going backwards fast, Ordonez and Baumann get past. Looks like an issue, he's into the pits.

Last edited by J Jay; 18 Sep 2016 at 13:03.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 13:07 (Ref:3673665)   #1098
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
I see a drive-through coming for #58

EDIT: maybe even two ...

Rob Bell is trying his best to throw away a championship

Last edited by gert; 18 Sep 2016 at 13:14.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 13:10 (Ref:3673667)   #1099
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
Should be.

Soulet still behind Rugolo, Vervisch has zoomed right onto the back of Stolz.

Edit - He's past! Vervisch passes Stolz into T1 as well.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 13:14 (Ref:3673668)   #1100
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I see a drive-through coming for #58
Another one