Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Jul 2010, 20:57 (Ref:2729809)   #1
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
New drama at RBR

Joe Saward's story tells it all.

It's true that Brendon Hartley's race results have not been as good as Ricciardo's but interesting that his work in the F1 simulator has impressed the race team. Vergne was originally scheduled to do both series, but there were some date clashes that have presumably now come and gone. There are those in F3 who say say that his potential is greater than Ricciardo's.

Last edited by strider; 20 Jul 2010 at 21:19.
Old 20 Jul 2010, 21:04 (Ref:2729812)   #2
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I had Hartley pegged as the next antipodean superstar but it seems Ricciardo has overtaken him. A shame, but his results post BF3 simply haven't been as good as expected.
Old 20 Jul 2010, 21:32 (Ref:2729822)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The interesting thing is the role of Herr Doctor Helmut, who claimed he wanted Buemi instead of Webber for 2012. No-one is sure what exactly he's supposed to be doing, but it appears that his hand might be pulling some of the strings. Let's see what happens with the Webber and Vettel relationship ...
Old 20 Jul 2010, 21:54 (Ref:2729827)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I warned 18 months ago about Hartley and I was proven right. Way too much, too soon and he could never get his inconsistency under control. If there was ever a driver that needed coaching this was one.

But he did get the gift of experience from Red Bull, so it's up to him to see where he takes it from here.
Old 20 Jul 2010, 21:59 (Ref:2729829)   #5
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post

If it is Marko who runs RBR then they are fooshed. Simple as that. You just have to look at the staff turnover of staff at RSM back in the day to know he is not a 'people' person.
Old 20 Jul 2010, 22:02 (Ref:2729831)   #6
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Australian bias at RBR? Not possible.
Old 20 Jul 2010, 22:46 (Ref:2729840)   #7
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Well I warned 18 months ago about Hartley and I was proven right. Way too much, too soon and he could never get his inconsistency under control. If there was ever a driver that needed coaching this was one.
Strange then that the F1 team found his work in the simulator so good and that in that role he has played a major part in developing next years's RB7.

Another shot in the foot by RBR.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 02:41 (Ref:2729893)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Strange then that the F1 team found his work in the simulator so good and that in that role he has played a major part in developing next years's RB7.

Another shot in the foot by RBR.
Oh I'm well aware of that comment, but there is a difference in testing on a simulator and actually racing. There is pure track speed and then there is racecraft.

F1 is so cutthroat that if you wallow around with inconsistency as he has the whole time you have been in Europe, when someone else is footing a seven figure bill every year, you eventually get the axe. Of course the way around this is what a lot of guys do with having their dad's friends oil company or real estate company or whatever foot the bill. But if you are a guy like Hartley on RB's dime, you should be clobbering people in F3 and WSR left and right. He isn't so he's gone to the red bull driver development scrapheap and the latest flavor of the month is in.

Helmut Marko, no question is a terrible manager of talent. I think 20 years ago he had the right idea but now he is so full of himself, it's pointless. He has wasted huge sums of money on drivers that never should have been touched with a 10 ft pole and of the good ones did a terrible job managing their talent. He should have gotten the sack years ago.

For Hartley though it's not a waste. He got quite a bit of racing paid for and at least a head start. I'm sure he will turn up somewhere and it will be up to him what he makes of it. If anything they may have done him a favor. We'll see.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 03:03 (Ref:2729899)   #9
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
Australian bias at RBR? Not possible.
Possibly just overcompensating.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 03:45 (Ref:2729905)   #10
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

But he did get the gift of experience from Red Bull, so it's up to him to see where he takes it from here.
you make him sound like he was a spoilt little brat lol

having met his father before.. and seen both Brendon and his brother Nelson progess through the classes.. it's a bloody shame to see Brendon dropped. hopefully this isn't the end of his F1 dream.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 04:37 (Ref:2729916)   #11
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Jean-Eric Vergne will be in Formula 1 long before Hartley or Ricciardo. He is younger, just like Alguersuari, but is faster than Hartley and Ricciardo and doesn't make many mistakes.

Aleshin was sponsored by Red Bull for 3-4 years and was dropped at the biginning of this year. He now leads the championship. Good for him, and good for Helmut Marko.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 04:56 (Ref:2729921)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
you make him sound like he was a spoilt little brat lol

having met his father before.. and seen both Brendon and his brother Nelson progess through the classes.. it's a bloody shame to see Brendon dropped. hopefully this isn't the end of his F1 dream.
No, I think it's a common problem with the F1 treadmill, especially with so many junior formula out there now, to run drivers through series before their time and a chance to develop, grow and learn. I remember there was a push to get him into an F1 race drive last year and I was like what? he'll get hammered.

While there are always some turds that sneak through to F1, there is quite a bit of talent that gets ground up way to quickly due to circumstance.
Old 22 Jul 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2730732)   #13
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whilst it's never nice to see a chap lose his job I can't really see that it's any surprise. He's had the best of everything, cars and teams and since FR Eurocup just hasn't delivered the goods and has been overshadowed by a faster team-mate.

I think if Dad's paying you can get away with it like a number of his rivals but when you're in effect an employee it's deliver the goods or else. Seems fair to me.

So the simulator guys like him? So what? It's not as if that's an irreplaceable skill is it?

If he's got it in him I'm sure he'll be back.
Old 22 Jul 2010, 18:48 (Ref:2730768)   #14
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Oh I'm well aware of that comment, but there is a difference in testing on a simulator and actually racing. There is pure track speed and then there is racecraft.

F1 is so cutthroat that if you wallow around with inconsistency as he has the whole time you have been in Europe, when someone else is footing a seven figure bill every year, you eventually get the axe. Of course the way around this is what a lot of guys do with having their dad's friends oil company or real estate company or whatever foot the bill. But if you are a guy like Hartley on RB's dime, you should be clobbering people in F3 and WSR left and right. He isn't so he's gone to the red bull driver development scrapheap and the latest flavor of the month is in.

Helmut Marko, no question is a terrible manager of talent. I think 20 years ago he had the right idea but now he is so full of himself, it's pointless. He has wasted huge sums of money on drivers that never should have been touched with a 10 ft pole and of the good ones did a terrible job managing their talent. He should have gotten the sack years ago.

For Hartley though it's not a waste. He got quite a bit of racing paid for and at least a head start. I'm sure he will turn up somewhere and it will be up to him what he makes of it. If anything they may have done him a favor. We'll see.
I think he'd be a dynamite touring car driver.
Old 23 Jul 2010, 01:59 (Ref:2730944)   #15
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
I think he'd be a dynamite touring car driver.
You never know if Audi or Mercedes would look at him for the DTM, that's an option no driver could be ashamed of. Being in that factory environment might be good and certainly his management should knock on that door.

With V8 Supercars, I really don't see any of the teams giving him a serious chance unless he verbally gave up his european dream and committed to V8SC completely.
Old 23 Jul 2010, 02:25 (Ref:2730947)   #16
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
You never know if Audi or Mercedes would look at him for the DTM, that's an option no driver could be ashamed of. Being in that factory environment might be good and certainly his management should knock on that door.

With V8 Supercars, I really don't see any of the teams giving him a serious chance unless he verbally gave up his european dream and committed to V8SC completely.
I dont think you could say V8SC is something a guy with his heart set on racing at the top level would be keen on. At best it would be a stop gap. It hardly compares in profile to the DTM, WTCC, or even the BTCC. V8SC is more like NASCAR these days. Even though Aus is my home, and I love it, I am the first to admit its 'a bit far out of town'! No one is ever going to go 'all the way' in motor racing based here.

Out of interest did Hartley drop RB Juniors or vice versa? He would not be the first to become dissolusioned with the RB programme. Klien after all got over it when they dropped him from the F1 team and wanted to send him Stateside to do the US open wheeler thing.
Old 23 Jul 2010, 03:35 (Ref:2730965)   #17
speedreader
Racer

Australia
speedreader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a dog eat dog world at the level Hartley was at but I didnt think he was doing that bad. He has won races, 'usually' qualifies within one or two sports of Riciardo, 'usually' races within one or two sports of Riciardo and suffered a number of mechanical failures as well as the odd bad qualifying & odd shunt but all in all, I would not have considered him a failure...

Here's hoping another team sees the worth in all the years of Red Bull Junior Team grooming & takes him under their wing to nurture him into a future champion.

As for Helmut Marko - in any team sport you need to cultivate & protect the team environment to get the best out of everyone. If RBR do not win the F1 Drivers Championship AND the F1 Manufacturers Championship titles this year then Marko can take 100% of the blame. He is single handedly splitting the team into fragments, because of his own stupid egotistical bias toward Vettel, instead of smoothing the waters & helping everyone to work together for the betterment of the team - the sooner RBR put him out to pasture & get on with rebuilding their team the better !!!
Old 23 Jul 2010, 04:09 (Ref:2730970)   #18
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Hartleys position really shows the problem with F1 that there are only 20 seats avialable and about 2 million aspiring drivers who want one of the golden tickets.
With most drivers F1 drivers being teenagers theres a long waiting period for one to retire and little hope of attaining a seat due to injuries,and with no test driving theres very little chance of ever getting behind the wheel of an actual F1 car.(other than a genetic accident of birth that your father owns an small country).
Hartley is blindingly fast driver that has the real deal stamped all over him,oh well may be Indycars is a better career path?.
Old 23 Jul 2010, 10:06 (Ref:2731060)   #19
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is sad but the higher you get in motorsport the fewer the race seats.

Look at all the kids all over the world in fford, renaults, f3 etc... they all want to get to F1. Some have talent, some don't.. its cut throat and tough.

Hundred thousand drivers into 20 race seats doesn't work.
Old 23 Jul 2010, 18:49 (Ref:2731354)   #20
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Hartleys position really shows the problem with F1 that there are only 20 seats avialable and about 2 million aspiring drivers who want one of the golden tickets.
With most drivers F1 drivers being teenagers theres a long waiting period for one to retire and little hope of attaining a seat due to injuries,and with no test driving theres very little chance of ever getting behind the wheel of an actual F1 car.(other than a genetic accident of birth that your father owns an small country).
Hartley is blindingly fast driver that has the real deal stamped all over him,oh well may be Indycars is a better career path?.
Maybe Dixon will give him a lift.
Old 23 Jul 2010, 21:38 (Ref:2731478)   #21
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the tough thing for Hartley is that at the very least he's been matched by other drivers in pretty much everything he's raced going back to Formula Ford... In the last couple of years his results haven't exactly been massively impresive.

Quick, yes. Blindingly quick.. I'm not so sure.

On a results basis, if you had to drop Ricciardo or Hartley, I think recent results probably speak for themselves.

As far as Red Bull are concerned, if you're going to pumping significant money into the development of a driver and you start to feel he's not going to cut it (on any level...) and you drop him, it's your money, it's your call. But given that they're not doing too badly in the big game, I suspect there deselection criteria is more than "we don't like you anymore". From the 2011 car development perspective, I honestly believe that's a bit of a red herring. I'm not sure that a rookie is going to bring more to the team than a driver with signifcant experience and 'feel' for developing an F1 car.
Old 23 Jul 2010, 21:43 (Ref:2731481)   #22
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
We also need to see these guys drive an F1 car,lots have people have won championships in lesser formulas and then flopped in F1.
Hartleys a bit raggety at times but I think he would impress if he got an F1 drive.
Pastor Maldonado is another whos going to be exciting in F1.