Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Apr 2016, 20:44 (Ref:3629632)   #1
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Still Think We Have A Slow F1 Car Now?

Bahrain qualifying record: 1:29.527 (Mark Webber, Williams-BMW, 2005)
2016 Bahrain pole: 1:29.493 (Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes AMG)

I will admit, even I'm surprised with with the aero being what it is now, but I suppose Bahrain is a fairly fast circuit, having four major straights and all.

As an aside:

Williams-BMW FW27- 910 hp
Mercedes AMG W06- 930+ hp
Mercedes AMG W07- only God and Cowell know
Old 2 Apr 2016, 21:16 (Ref:3629643)   #2
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
"Still Think We Have A Slow F1 Car Now?"

Yes.

Still have sheety soundin' engines.

Still look like sheet.

Still have silly opening and closing wings (unfair too boot).

jimclark
Old 2 Apr 2016, 21:38 (Ref:3629649)   #3
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thats on a qualy lap though, watch tomorrow in the race and they are 5-6+ seconds slower and having to manage fuel and tyres. So yes, we still do have a slow car.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 05:18 (Ref:3629744)   #4
fredd1
Racer

fredd1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post

Yes.

Still look like sheet.

Still have silly opening and closing wings (unfair too boot).
Diddums. Get over it!
Old 3 Apr 2016, 10:59 (Ref:3629819)   #5
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No they aren't slow. They're fast, ugly, sound awful and produce terrible racing. But they're bloody fast. When they want they aren't nursing tyres and saving fuel of course.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 12:05 (Ref:3629841)   #6
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd1 View Post
Diddums. Get over it!
Great attitude.

Shall we just sit there and accept what we're given like good little lapdogs?

Guessing you're a big fan of the new qualifying? Why are you on a forum is you don't want to hear/discuss opinions?

Selby
Old 3 Apr 2016, 19:33 (Ref:3629980)   #7
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Are they fast. Yes
Are they exciting to watch Not compared to the older cars
Do they sound good No
Old 4 Apr 2016, 00:45 (Ref:3630050)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think it's best to accept what we have do that it does not ruin F1 for you ..
I believe that before too long the sport will come back to us and we will love it again, just be patient ...
Old 4 Apr 2016, 04:48 (Ref:3630083)   #9
fredd1
Racer

fredd1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Great attitude.

Shall we just sit there and accept what we're given like good little lapdogs?

Guessing you're a big fan of the new qualifying? Why are you on a forum is you don't want to hear/discuss opinions?

Selby
rofl:....

Slow cars....thought this event finally laid that one to rest....something about being faster then anything in the V10/V8 era on this track....Maybe you weren't paying attention.

Lapdogs?....Well you said it....who sounds just like Bernie and his constant whinge on the sound lack of....?

Sheety looks Very fast sheets then....

Have to go with you on the DRS rubbish tho...
Otherwise I have as much right to express my thoughts as you do....
And purely FWIW I don't like what I'm seeing in qual.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 13:04 (Ref:3630222)   #10
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post

Yes.

Do the engines sound that bad? Indeed, they are not that loud as the 2,400cc normally-aspirated V8-engines, but the latter made an awful sound.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 13:20 (Ref:3630229)   #11
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I think they're wicked ugly, nothing will top the early 90's cars, imo.

Regardless, current cars are damn fast.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 13:25 (Ref:3630232)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I think it's best to accept what we have do that it does not ruin F1 for you ..
I believe that before too long the sport will come back to us and we will love it again, just be patient ...
Sweet words my friend !
Old 4 Apr 2016, 13:44 (Ref:3630243)   #13
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
Do the engines sound that bad? Indeed, they are not that loud as the 2,400cc normally-aspirated V8-engines, but the latter made an awful sound.
Thank heavens for someone talking a little bit of sense.

Firstly, we are talking about racing cars. It really doesn't matte what they look or sound like.

BUT: loud noises are harmful to the hearing of anyone nearby and disliked by the public at large. Is there a motorsport venue anywhere in the UK that doesn't suffer from noise complaints? Motorsport would look more eco-friendly and neighbour-friendly if it maintained a downward pressure on noise.
Old 6 Apr 2016, 10:35 (Ref:3630681)   #14
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Thats on a qualy lap though, watch tomorrow in the race and they are 5-6+ seconds slower and having to manage fuel and tyres. So yes, we still do have a slow car.
Precisely put.

Melbourne GP 2004
Pole Position
Schumacher 1:24.408

Fastest Lap
Schumacher 1:24.125 Fastest Race Lap 0.280 secs faster than fastest qualifying

Melbourne GP 2016
Pole Position
Hamilton 1:23.837
Fastest Race Lap
Ricciardo 1:28.997 Fastest race lap 5.16 secs slower than qualifying.

Grand Prix touring, lift and coast fuel saving and don't lean on the cauliflowers they will melt!

Last edited by wnut; 6 Apr 2016 at 11:02.
Old 6 Apr 2016, 11:16 (Ref:3630697)   #15
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
"Put another way" for Bahrain specifically:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/04/0...five-in-a-row/

"However in race pace terms F1 is still almost four-and-a-half seconds per lap slower than it was 11 years ago. Yesterday’s race ran Safety Car-free in the evening cool and took 93 minutes, 34.696 seconds; the 2005 race also stayed green throughout, and in blazing heat with refuelling pit stops it took 89 minutes, 18.531 seconds.
To put it another way, Rosberg would have finished the 2005 race 11th behind Tiago Monteiro’s Jordan."

Lap time is not the problem as has already been identified by numerous posters, although we now know where the FWG is getting the cars must be 6 secs a lap faster for 2017!

Just change where the lines are painted, and claim a new layout at all the circuits!
Old 6 Apr 2016, 12:06 (Ref:3630707)   #16
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Precisely put.

Melbourne GP 2004
Pole Position
Schumacher 1:24.408

Fastest Lap
Schumacher 1:24.125 Fastest Race Lap 0.280 secs faster than fastest qualifying

Melbourne GP 2016
Pole Position
Hamilton 1:23.837
Fastest Race Lap
Ricciardo 1:28.997 Fastest race lap 5.16 secs slower than qualifying.

Grand Prix touring, lift and coast fuel saving and don't lean on the cauliflowers they will melt!
I'd like to see them go at it much more during the race but a little bit of tyre and fuel conservation is not too much of a bad thing, I think, well at least tyre conservation. I'd prefer to see differences in times due to fuel loads just being a case of the tyres coming down as the fuel levels go down rather than actually lifting and coasting and so on.

I wonder how much of the good racing we have now comes to some extent from the greater braking distances associated with a heavier car and the differences in driver's tyre compounds and the way they're nursing tyres slightly through a stint. I would've thought it's quite a small proportion and most is about the aero regs being a bit better than in the past, but braking distances being a bit longer has got to help a bit.
Old 6 Apr 2016, 16:46 (Ref:3630747)   #17
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Fast lap times are overrated
Old 6 Apr 2016, 17:05 (Ref:3630752)   #18
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quali session is the only place you'll see today's car pushed to the limit. They carry more fuel than before in the race. They have tires that wear out much faster than before, and they have fewer electronic assistance than before.
Old 7 Apr 2016, 18:33 (Ref:3631002)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's not too different to the last turbo, when the race fastest laps would be something like 5 seconds slower than quali if that
Old 8 Apr 2016, 10:31 (Ref:3631158)   #20
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It's not too different to the last turbo, when the race fastest laps would be something like 5 seconds slower than quali if that
Monaco 1982 where everyone seemed to run out of fuel ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_Monaco_Grand_Prix

'1976 world champion James Hunt commented, "Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!"'

It was a bit of fun, Keystone Cops, but not the effect we are looking for in a multi billion dollar sport? But then maybe the WWF of motor racing is considering it?
Old 8 Apr 2016, 17:27 (Ref:3631252)   #21
Bakemono
Rookie

United States
Columbus, OH
Bakemono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trying to compare today to the V10 or V8 era is kind of like comparing apples to oranges. Take away the fuel rule and let them burn as much as they want and then lets see what is faster. My money would be on the hybrids.