Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 23 Apr 2012, 15:29 (Ref:3064342)   #1
RebelDJ
Rookie

England
United Kingdom
RebelDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first day as a Marshal (28th @ Brands)

Hi all,

So after having been to a taster day way back in August last year, I've decided to bite the bullet and become a fully fledged marshal. I've joined the BMMC, bought my overalls from AWS, bought a hi-vis jacket and stocked up on pork pies.

I can safely say that I am raring to go at my first full event, this Saturday (28th) at Brands Hatch.

The whole thing all seems a bit new & confusing to me at first but I'm sure that'll wear off.

So has anyone got any advice for a newbie?

Also, is anyone going to be at Brands on Saturday? Would be good to know some names before I venture out there for the first time.

Cheers

Dan
Old 23 Apr 2012, 15:32 (Ref:3064346)   #2
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDJ View Post
So has anyone got any advice for a newbie?
  • HAVE FUN!!!!!!!
  • Don't take it all too seriously.
  • Don't try to take in everything you're told at once (just the safety briefing!)
  • Ask questions
  • HAVE FUN!!!!!!
Old 23 Apr 2012, 15:35 (Ref:3064348)   #3
nate93
Racer

United Kingdom
Tattershall, Lincolnshire
nate93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First of all the main thing is - stay safe and enjoy yourself!

Everyone will be more than happy to answer any questions you have and don't be afraid to ask them while your there.

If your not happy doing something - let your IO/PC know, they wont look down on you for it.

Can't give you specifics about Brands - because I've never been there.

Enjoy.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 15:35 (Ref:3064349)   #4
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Go prepared for absolutely any weather. Sometimes you might get it all in one or two sessions!

Take some sun cream. Use it! If, like me, you burn at the drop of hat, take two hats and don't drop them
Old 23 Apr 2012, 15:59 (Ref:3064360)   #5
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Don't forget your gloves. You'd be amazed, that's all I can say!

Don't rely on the provided lunch - bring your own, along with sufficient fluids for the day.

Be prepared to look interested while everyone tells you their war stories. We all love a new audience and everyone else is sick of listening to us! Don't worry - you'll soon have some of your own and then the conversation turns into a bizarre marshalling version of the Four Yorkshiremen Sketch

"You had flags? We used to dream of having flags. If we wanted a green, we all had to blow our noses on a hanky and put it on the end of a stick."
"clean hanky?"
"aye"
"bloody luxury"

Brands is a great circuit and you will definitely have a good time
Old 23 Apr 2012, 17:07 (Ref:3064388)   #6
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can only reiterate what has already be said (but is nonetheless important) Boots (not trainers) Gloves that you can flick off, hat with a peak (keeps both sun and rain out of your eyes) Coat (not flag coloured), water, lunch (you will not have much of a break and it is not (as was earlier intimated) provided)
The weather is not certain, the only thing that is certain is that you will have a good time.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 17:11 (Ref:3064392)   #7
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan,

Firstly, a big welcome...

You have picked what should be (based on previous ones) a cracking meeting

As for advice - lots of people will have lots of advice (and if you do a search on tenths you will find threads/posts which may help)

but the basics as ever are;
be prepared for any type of weather (or some days that might be all types of weather)
food/drink for the day
by the looks of it you some idea about the clothes side sorted but just to add - wear layers so you can add/remove if necessary, have a hat, suitable gloves etc
keep safe
have fun

Have a willingness to learn - so look, listen and ask questions

I will be there both days and am more than happy to have a chat before the day starts .... if you have some specific questions about this Saturday before the day then either post them on here or you can PM me if you prefer

Finally, keep safe and have fun

Dave

Last edited by deley; 23 Apr 2012 at 17:17.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 13:51 (Ref:3064896)   #8
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Dan,
Good event to go to first.
You'll learn a lot as lots will happen.
Try and take a step back to start with and see how things are done, regarding incident. If you want to try some flagging, just ask. Any questions, just ask. 750MC have a loyal, experienced following, so there will be plenty of knowledge. The essentials are; Keep safe, keep dry, keep warm and enjoy.
See you there.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 14:43 (Ref:3064935)   #9
skeee
Racer

Cyprus
Wiltshire
skeee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Good event to go to first.
Keep safe, keep dry, keep warm and enjoy.
Seems it's all been said, and all good advice too.
Especially about Brands' weather. You really will need a jacket, thermals and sun-cream all on the same day!
Old 24 Apr 2012, 19:44 (Ref:3065106)   #10
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When your first incident arises, you'll be keen to do something - sometimes the wise decision is not to .....

Take your lead off those with you & remember that if one car can get there, so can a few more! Suggest you dig back over the forum and watch a few clips of incidents at Brands - the recent touring car synchronised parking session will hopefully illustrate why you need to stay alert during an incident.

I don't get to Brands very often or to enough 750MC events, but haven't had a bad 'un of either yet!
Old 24 Apr 2012, 21:53 (Ref:3065173)   #11
Eljay
Rookie

England
Kent
Eljay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Dan,

Echo everything that the guys above have least said, bring extra layers, lots of them. It's my first 750MC meeting this weekend and I can't wait, so many marshals have told me it is one of the club racing highlights of the year. See you there, I'll be one of the big blokes in orange in the breakfast queue in Hailwoods!
Old 25 Apr 2012, 11:06 (Ref:3065312)   #12
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Keep warm and dry or you'll be miserable.

Make sure your boots are comfy and waterproof. If your hands, head and feet are warm then you'll be all right.

I don't do Brands often enough but I know you'll be certain of a friendly welcome.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 12:50 (Ref:3065370)   #13
McSatan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stones Throw from Brands
McSatan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello! Relatively new myself, started last year, have done about 10 now but still a trainee. Breakfasts at Brands are very good. Druids is freezing and Paddock is hard work. The Portaloos by Graham Hill are unspeakable, they're never emptied, only left to evaporate, so you need to go in pairs in case one of you falls unconcious. Take warm and waterproof stuff for this weekend. Plenty of food and water/drinks. Just listen to what everyone tells you, they're incredibly helpful (in a slightly ****-taking way ) ask questions, watch and listen, muck in, have fun, it's what I'm still doing!
Old 25 Apr 2012, 13:18 (Ref:3065388)   #14
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget the only stupid question is one you don't ask. We've all been there, just some of us it was a long time ago. Keep safe, dry, warm, and have fun.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 16:49 (Ref:3066239)   #15
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Oh and if you happen to be in one of the areas with trees and wearing your rain jacket, beware of IOs with a twisted sense of humour and CHECK your hood before you put it up - you never know what they might have filled it with......
Old 29 Apr 2012, 21:59 (Ref:3067172)   #16
RebelDJ
Rookie

England
United Kingdom
RebelDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the advice everyone, I had a great time even if the weather was horrendous!

Special thanks to Nick, Richard, Phil and Dave on post 9 for the welcome

Dan
Old 30 Apr 2012, 08:00 (Ref:3067282)   #17
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone, I had a great time even if the weather was horrendous!

Dan
Hi Dan,
The weather was actually worse on Sunday morning!
Glad you had a great time.
If you need a lift, I'm doing DTMs Friday 18th May and Sunday 20th May, Masters (GP circuit) May 26/27th and, possibly BRSCC Sunday 9th June, all at Brands. Possibly be easier for me to pick you up outside Green Park tube.
Let me know.

Nick.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 08:18 (Ref:3067291)   #18
Richard Duvall
Racer

England
Rochford
Richard Duvall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Dan
Glad you enjoyed it! Think what it will be like in nice weather; hope you'll be able to stand it!