Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 28 Mar 2017, 14:13 (Ref:3722175)   #1
boggissimo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
boggissimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Camping at/near Silverstone for the British GP

We're going to Silverstone this year for the F1 GP on the weekend of 15-16 July. It will be me, my Dad (aged 69) and my son (aged 5), and we will be in a camper van/tents. Anyone got any recommendations about campsites nearby that have a shuttle bus to the circuit on Sat and Sunday? We'll need somewhere quiet enough for my boy to get some sleep in the evening so don't want loud rock gigs going on all night nearby! I've looked at the 'official' campsites and while obviously convenient, they are very expensive...
Old 30 Mar 2017, 19:14 (Ref:3722654)   #2
Hedley Verity
Racer

United Kingdom
Hedley Verity should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dadford Road might be worth looking at, walkable to the circuit, not sure how boisterous it'd be though, I've only camped there for much smaller events.
Old 21 May 2017, 09:07 (Ref:3734857)   #3
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Most of the campsites have some sort of bar/party tent which goes on until silly o'clock in the morning.
Camping F1 on Winterhills is right next to the volunteers' campsite so very close to gate 5 at Copse, however they made us proper grumbly last year as they went on until after midnight on the Saturday and we had to be up to collect radios at 0545 on Sunday!

Have a look at Hamilton Fields, around a 20-30 minute walk to the circuit (just outside the village to the east). They have a fairly strict noise policy due to their proximity to the neighbours.

Silverstone Woodlands (the official site) has segregated areas for 'lively' tents and families. Expensive it may be in comparison to some but as I understand it the facilities are good, it's well managed, and it's very close to the circuit behind Stowe/Vale/Club.

Whittlebury Hall (Park) is also very close. Some guests of mine have popped from the volunteers' site to the bar/marquee there a few times and it seems to be very good.

There are more up around the village, and some slightly further afield but those are the ones of which I have second-hand knowledge.

Wherever you end up I'm sure you'll all have a hell of a time
Old 22 May 2017, 08:56 (Ref:3735214)   #4
boggissimo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
Thanks, we have 'booked' at Dadford Road (they didn't request a deposit and it's cash only, so presume it is fairly primitive). Will see how we fare! Taking earplugs for the racing anyway, so might need them to get some sleep too I suppose...
Old 23 May 2017, 07:10 (Ref:3735425)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
is dadford road the litchlake farm one? i've been there quite a few times for convenience reasons and it was reasonably noisy until about 2am but well located for tired little legs. if your son is good with earplugs it'll definitely be worthwhile using them for sleep
Old 24 May 2017, 08:38 (Ref:3735620)   #6
boggissimo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
It's this place, http://silverstone-campsite.co.uk/f1...n-silverstone/
Seems to be more or less opposite the Woodlands campsite, but on the other side of the road, postcode is MK18 5LH.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 09:52 (Ref:3752734)   #7
boggissimo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
Just to close this off, we had a great time at the Dadford Road campsite. Staff were friendly and helpful, we found a good level spot on Friday evening for our van, and being in the 3rd field it was very quiet despite the field being full. £60 for the pitch for the weekend, compared to £79 per person at Woodlands! The site is basic, with very few electric hookups and the shower block is like a cattle shed, but was perfectly fine if you are self sufficient and not too bothered about being clean. The only downside for us was that our grandstand was at the opposite end of the circuit (Copse) to where you enter from the campsite (Club).

We accidentally walked back through the Woodlands (official) campsite on the Saturday evening, and even ignoring the cost difference, I'm really glad we didn't stay there – far too busy and noisy for me, let alone my boy.

We got a Campsite Newsletter in our welcome pack, which listed these campsites:
Silverstone Woodlands
Camping F1
Cavalier Fields
Dadford Road
Hamilton Fields
Henwood Camping
Litchlake site
Silverstone Farm Campsite
Silverstone Golf Club
Silverstone Recreational Association
Whittlebury Park Golf & Country Club