Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Mar 2017, 12:16 (Ref:3716427)   #401
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 4 Mar 2017, 12:17 (Ref:3716428)   #402
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 4 Mar 2017, 12:17 (Ref:3716429)   #403
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 4 Mar 2017, 12:18 (Ref:3716430)   #404
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Looks repairable from where I'm sitting.

But then again, I'm not privvy to the cache of spares this program has budgeted for.
The car took a hit yesterday too..

Perhaps there is rail damage we can't see, it got a decent height in the air after all, and a hard landing..
Old 5 Mar 2017, 01:10 (Ref:3716533)   #405
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Great starting procedure for R3...

Mr Kean crashing... not unusual
Old 5 Mar 2017, 01:19 (Ref:3716537)   #406
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

New starter:

Homer J simpson
" lights goon, lights go off, lights go on, lights go off"
Old 5 Mar 2017, 01:19 (Ref:3716538)   #407
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
mceci1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Josh Kean is one of the worst drivers in the field. Why did he weave when he didn't need to, no one an immediate issue in front. Cant believe they signed him over Bryce Fullwood. Not like he can say he has bad equipment either because the PRA cars have been fast this weekend in both categories. Kean took himself out like the spud he is
Old 5 Mar 2017, 01:34 (Ref:3716543)   #408
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Meantime, Mr Hazelwood gets his first win!!
Old 5 Mar 2017, 01:40 (Ref:3716545)   #409
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Congrats to Mr Hazelwood.

Mr Fullwood looks rather speedy in the Car of the Past.
Old 5 Mar 2017, 01:42 (Ref:3716546)   #410
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its a great story, Hazelwood has been such a battler for a long time, and clearly has ability. Great stuff!
Old 5 Mar 2017, 02:20 (Ref:3716553)   #411
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Well done Todd and team! The first of many. Great to see the young bloke get his first after much hard work.
Old 5 Mar 2017, 10:02 (Ref:3716623)   #412
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

The GoGetta IG shows the colour scheme off really well..
Old 6 Mar 2017, 12:31 (Ref:3716835)   #413
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so WHAT was with those starting lights ?????????
Old 6 Mar 2017, 23:30 (Ref:3716940)   #414
scr
Rookie

Australia
Australia
scr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's hope todd hazelwood gets a good enduro gig this year. I think he has done his apprenticeship in the developement series and would be great to see one of the bigger teams grab him and develop him further.
Certainly not relying on a big cheque to get him through!!!
Old 6 Mar 2017, 23:35 (Ref:3716942)   #415
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
Let's hope todd hazelwood gets a good enduro gig this year. I think he has done his apprenticeship in the developement series and would be great to see one of the bigger teams grab him and develop him further.
I agree.. yet its hard to see where he might fit in..
Old 6 Mar 2017, 23:37 (Ref:3716943)   #416
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
He has to chase those big checques himself.

It's not a free ride.
Old 7 Mar 2017, 00:42 (Ref:3716949)   #417
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep great to see Todd get a win.
Was one of the weekends high points
Old 7 Mar 2017, 07:18 (Ref:3716981)   #418
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
so WHAT was with those starting lights ?????????
The starter had a case of "tremors", non parkisons
Old 7 Mar 2017, 08:15 (Ref:3716989)   #419
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
The starter had a case of "tremors", non parkisons
Supercars have traditionally used their own starter and they have had a history of stuffing up over the years.
That goes right back to the days of Damien 'Ice Cold' White (or whatever his moniker was in his Ute days).

The support events are handled by the usual starter for the track or as appointed by the organising club.
Old 8 Mar 2017, 04:08 (Ref:3717171)   #420
Damien_White
Rookie

Damien_White should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamien_White should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
Supercars have traditionally used their own starter and they have had a history of stuffing up over the years.
That goes right back to the days of Damien 'Ice Cold' White (or whatever his moniker was in his Ute days).

The support events are handled by the usual starter for the track or as appointed by the organising club.

You're right old fart. I did contribute to the "history" of stuffing up over the years. I screwed it up royally in Tasmania one year. I recall the sick feeling in my stomach, the cold sweat, the "oh sh!t what have I done", the "how could I stuff something so simple".

I screwed up another time when we had the International drivers test day at QR. I insisted we work into the schedule a dummy start procedure so they knew how we did it....well I goofed up the first of them too!

And as Aaron Noonan told the commentators on the weekend, I also got fumbly fingers a few years ago with the Super2 start at Adelaide.

It's easy to default to a view of "how could it be so hard? Flick a switch or press a button and away you go". However, while the function of the action is that easy, the adrenaline of having 26 engines pinging on the limiter for what feels like an eternity is immense. It's can be a very intense moment and as hard as it to relate, it's easy to be trigger happy.

The red lights are to go on 5 secs after the board, and then go off 3-5 secs later. While this gives a 8-10 sec window, the reality is most engines are screaming at 7500 as soon as the green flag waves at the back of grid. The flag, of course, is a reference for the starter that the grid is set, but between the green flag and the 5 sec board there's the message to come from race control that it's in the starters hands, and the starter will also do a final scan looking for any anomalies. In other words, if the driver starts loading the clutch and sitting on the limiter at the green flag, it can be as much as 5 secs more. So, now you're talking the sound of 26 cars on the limiter for 13-15 secs - something which can definitely cause a nervous twitch.

I remember one time, at Phillip Island, all cars were in place, the green flag was being waved, and in those few secs where you scan for anomalies something triggered in my head as being odd with a car on the front row (I think it was Nick Percat). In the right light, you can normally see a burning fuel haze coming from the exhaust of a car. For some reason it struck me that it wasn't coming from that car and my mind said it wasn't running. So you have a few seconds to decide to abort, delay or continue. In that instance I took the right path, but it's an example of there being plenty to think about beyond flicking a switch.

Sorry for my ramble, however if it was twitchy fingers in Adelaide on the weekend, please cut some slack. It can be stressful to the point of forcing error.
Old 8 Mar 2017, 04:52 (Ref:3717175)   #421
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_White View Post
You're right old fart. I did contribute to the "history" of stuffing up over the years. I screwed it up royally in Tasmania one year. I recall the sick feeling in my stomach, the cold sweat, the "oh sh!t what have I done", the "how could I stuff something so simple".

I screwed up another time when we had the International drivers test day at QR. I insisted we work into the schedule a dummy start procedure so they knew how we did it....well I goofed up the first of them too!

And as Aaron Noonan told the commentators on the weekend, I also got fumbly fingers a few years ago with the Super2 start at Adelaide.

It's easy to default to a view of "how could it be so hard? Flick a switch or press a button and away you go". However, while the function of the action is that easy, the adrenaline of having 26 engines pinging on the limiter for what feels like an eternity is immense. It's can be a very intense moment and as hard as it to relate, it's easy to be trigger happy.

The red lights are to go on 5 secs after the board, and then go off 3-5 secs later. While this gives a 8-10 sec window, the reality is most engines are screaming at 7500 as soon as the green flag waves at the back of grid. The flag, of course, is a reference for the starter that the grid is set, but between the green flag and the 5 sec board there's the message to come from race control that it's in the starters hands, and the starter will also do a final scan looking for any anomalies. In other words, if the driver starts loading the clutch and sitting on the limiter at the green flag, it can be as much as 5 secs more. So, now you're talking the sound of 26 cars on the limiter for 13-15 secs - something which can definitely cause a nervous twitch.

I remember one time, at Phillip Island, all cars were in place, the green flag was being waved, and in those few secs where you scan for anomalies something triggered in my head as being odd with a car on the front row (I think it was Nick Percat). In the right light, you can normally see a burning fuel haze coming from the exhaust of a car. For some reason it struck me that it wasn't coming from that car and my mind said it wasn't running. So you have a few seconds to decide to abort, delay or continue. In that instance I took the right path, but it's an example of there being plenty to think about beyond flicking a switch.

Sorry for my ramble, however if it was twitchy fingers in Adelaide on the weekend, please cut some slack. It can be stressful to the point of forcing error.
Thanks for your feedback Damien, IM sure its a tense time that not many of us have ever experienced.
Old 8 Mar 2017, 19:30 (Ref:3717330)   #422
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Once again, proving that everything seems easy until the true nature of the challenge is understood.

You don't know what you don't know. Thanks for taking the time to write your ramble Damien.
Old 9 Mar 2017, 00:16 (Ref:3717362)   #423
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

The starting role was taken away from the normal starter as the v8 organisation was afraid that the state level starters were not reliable nor capable of starting their events.
I well remember the years I spent as a member of the start team as assistant starter, starter,judge of fact etc when we actually used the national flag-that was nerveracking and had the potential for disaster particularly on a windy day.
The advent of lights made it a lot easier unless gremlins got into the electronics as they tended to in the early days.
When using the flag the method of aborting a start for some reason once the flag had been raised was to leave it up and turn your back to the cars whilst lowering the flag and the assistant starter displayed the 'abort start' board.
It was a common sight seeing drivers not involved in that event watching the starter to see if they could gain an advantage from something when they were facing a race start.
Some tracks used the one official as starter whilst others randomly rotated the starter from the team during the day to ensure that any perceived idiosyncrasies did not give an unfair advantage to somebody.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 02:54 (Ref:3717659)   #424
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Sorry, paid employee, professional (sic) racing series using own starter, not good enough.

Can't stand the heat don't enter the kitchen.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 04:13 (Ref:3717666)   #425
Umai Naa
Veteran

Thanks for the insight, Damien.

At the end of the day, humans make human errors. We don't often have issues with the start procedure, considering the amount of races that take place on a yearly basis.