Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 4 Jun 2017, 12:51 (Ref:3738583)   #151
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So Salih Yoluc binned the TF Sport Aston already at the end of session one. Won't be the last time during this race week. Bit of a weapon from everything I've seen in the last few years.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 12:53 (Ref:3738584)   #152
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Live timing good on the android, but not on desktop. Anyone figured something out?
So is that a no?
Old 4 Jun 2017, 12:54 (Ref:3738585)   #153
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
deskptop live timing:
https://timing.71wytham.org.uk/timin...b4a66eabfc8c21
Old 4 Jun 2017, 12:55 (Ref:3738587)   #154
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
14 laps at full pace.

So Toyota have the pace and the stint length.
Don't give it to them yet. Remember they need to double, triple, and possible quadruple stint on tires.

for certain Toyota look sharp for qualifying very early on.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 12:57 (Ref:3738588)   #155
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Don't give it to them yet. Remember they need to double, triple, and possible quadruple stint on tires.

They triple-stinted their tires last year, and with running 14-lap fuel runs, that means over 2 hours on a set of tires (12 sets per race means they need an average of 2 hours per set).
Old 4 Jun 2017, 12:58 (Ref:3738589)   #156
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
They triple-stinted their tires last year, and with running 14-lap fuel runs, that means over 2 hours on a set of tires (12 sets per race means they need an average of 2 hours per set).
True, but this is a brand new car. Granted Spa is a medium downforce track, The #9 car on the low downforce trim has a tough time on the tires. I think Toyota will ultimately manage triple stints but they have not done any thus far.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 12:59 (Ref:3738590)   #157
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Red flag.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 13:01 (Ref:3738591)   #158
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post

That's been the case from the factory teams for a number of years though, so unless the tyre setup in general isn't sorted (e.g. Audi's front tyre temp issues last year) I don't see triple/quad stints being an issue for either team.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 13:02 (Ref:3738592)   #159
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
That's been the case from the factory teams for a number of years though, as long as the tyre setup is sorted overall I don't see triple/quad stints being an issue for either team.
So yeah, the car will triple stint out of neccesity( they only have so many tires for the race) , but what lap time will they do in the third or 4th stint? Also what happens when they are on a set of tires, and the track temp increases rapidly, or drops? Those lead to slower stints.

What we've seen so far is that Toyota are running a tire that probably works well for the current track conditions considering they are lapping 3:21 average over the full stint. But that doesn't mean they will achieve this in the 3rd or 4th stint or over 24 hours. Also that Porsche does not come into it's own while the Toyota drops off in different track conditions. That's about the only thing I gather from running so far.

Last edited by Articus; 4 Jun 2017 at 13:09.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 13:08 (Ref:3738594)   #160
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
So Salih Yoluc binned the TF Sport Aston already at the end of session one. Won't be the last time during this race week. Bit of a weapon from everything I've seen in the last few years.
Given what I can see on the timing screen, he might have binned it hard enough to cause this red flag now. Car is missing in sector 2.

EDIT: Must be a timing remnant from session 1 then, my mistake.

Last edited by Victor_RO; 4 Jun 2017 at 13:13.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 13:20 (Ref:3738595)   #161
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Alex Brundle just threw in a 3:29.104. LMP2 cars getting faster and faster. And the CLM would have been ahead of all the LMP2 cars now without that lap.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 13:22 (Ref:3738596)   #162
Articus
Veteran

LMP2 essentially equal to LMP1 through sector 1.

Are there any pitlane live streams?
Old 4 Jun 2017, 13:28 (Ref:3738597)   #163
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Those speed trap figures...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBeqzfBXcAA8bWk.jpg:large

EDIT: 90 minutes into the second session and barely a lap from the Porsches, while Toyota are racking on the laps and the lap times.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 13:40 (Ref:3738600)   #164
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Either Porsche are sandbagging or they're in trouble IMO. It seems that the new regs have hurt them considering that we still had a Porsche on pole last year.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 13:42 (Ref:3738602)   #165
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Either Porsche are sandbagging or they're in trouble IMO. It seems that the new regs have hurt them considering that we still had a Porsche on pole last year.
Then again, Toyota looked aloof during the test day last year, and look how well they ended up going in the race other than the last lap drama.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 13:47 (Ref:3738604)   #166
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Alex Brundle is now officially the fastest member of his family around La Sarthe. Something to rib his dad about at dinner.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 13:49 (Ref:3738606)   #167
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Porsche have the excuse of not running the right aero package at Silverstone and Spa, but it was mostly strategy and weather that helped them in both races. I still feel that the regulations have harmed Porsche more than Toyota so far. Considering that Toyota have been able to do 3:20s on race runs.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 13:57 (Ref:3738608)   #168
Articus
Veteran

I always find it interesting how certain cars from the same manufacturer in GTE seem to set laptimes in complete lockstep separated by mere thousandths of a second. I've always thought it was indicative of sandbagging engine modes but not really sure.

Porsche 91: 3:54.996
Porsche 92: 3:54.999

Ford 67: 3:58.046
Ford 68: 3:58.011
Ford 69: 3:58.060
Old 4 Jun 2017, 13:57 (Ref:3738609)   #169
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Those speed trap figures...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBeqzfBXcAA8bWk.jpg:large

EDIT: 90 minutes into the second session and barely a lap from the Porsches, while Toyota are racking on the laps and the lap times.
I wonder if they could be fast enough to actually give Porsche and Toyota a run for their money all the way to Indianapolis?
Old 4 Jun 2017, 13:58 (Ref:3738610)   #170
XtC24
Racer

XtC24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridXtC24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also think, that it is little early to speak about Porsche's pace, they may struggle with set up etc, and also may not want to show a trace of their real pace.

+ All those remarks from some of You about 3th or 4th stints and conditions are absolutely right imo.

But Toyota is certainly quick

Excuse me, I have a lame question which I could probably easy look up on google.

What about engines? I hear that one of Porsches is changing its engine now.
Is it allowed to use a fresh engine for the race, after testing/qualifying ?
Toyotas ie. are now on 70-80 laps done and Porsche 40-50.
It could be vital how much laps you do in pracyice/qualifying (see 2016...)
Thanks.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 14:00 (Ref:3738611)   #171
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtC24 View Post
Excuse me, I have a lame question which I could probably easy look up on google.

What about engines? I hear that one of Porsches is changing its engine now.
Is it allowed to use a fresh engine for the race, after testing/qualifying ?
Toyotas ie. are now on 70-80 laps done and Porsche 40-50.
It could be vital how much laps you do in pracyice/qualifying (see 2016...)
Thanks.
Found the official regs on this:

Quote:
7.6 Use of engines
7.6.1 For LMP1 Hybrid competitors only:
For competitors entering an LMP1 hybrid car: a single type of
power train may be homologated for the season.
Engine use is limited to 5 engines for the complete season
(all race events) per car entered.
For a new LMP1 hybrid competitor entering the
Manufacturer’s FIA World Endurance Championship: Engine
use is limited to 7 engines for the complete season (all race
events) per car entered.
Official FIA WEC collective tests (prologue, Le Mans test,
rookie test) are not included in the limitation.
Penalty for using an additional engine:
-Stop and go for 3 minutes on 6-hour events and stop and go
for 5 minutes at the Le Mans 24 Hours, carried out during the
race by order of the Race Director in the first half of the race.
-One of the five original engines can no longer be used until
the end in the remaining events of the season.
So it's 5 engines per season, but LM test day running is NOT included in that allocation. So they can put an engine in for the test sessions if necessary and it won't count towards the season allocation.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 14:06 (Ref:3738612)   #172
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Silently and stealthily Dominik Kraihamer has crept the Kolles car to the tail of the LMP1 field and ahead of all the LMP2s. (so far...)

EDIT: And just as I post this, Nelson Panciatici takes a LMP2 car almost through the 3:28 barrier.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 14:12 (Ref:3738613)   #173
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Silently and stealthily Dominik Kraihamer has crept the Kolles car to the tail of the LMP1 field and ahead of all the LMP2s. (so far...)

EDIT: And just as I post this, Nelson Panciatici takes a LMP2 car almost through the 3:28 barrier.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 14:27 (Ref:3738621)   #174
XtC24
Racer

XtC24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridXtC24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you Victor.
I remember Toyota doing laps during heavy rain in last year's qualifying long after Porsche and Audi were safe and dry in pits. But I assume they have put new engines in them before the race, right?
Then again if you put a fresh engine just before the warm up you have only few laps to prove it is allright before the ultimate test.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 14:29 (Ref:3738622)   #175
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtC24 View Post
Thank you Victor.
I remember Toyota doing laps during heavy rain in last year's qualifying long after Porsche and Audi were safe and dry in pits. But I assume they have put new engines in them before the race, right?
Then again if you put a fresh engine just before the warm up you have only few laps to prove it is allright before the ultimate test.
I don't think the engines are 100% fresh, most likely they are broken in on a dyno back at the factory.