Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 28 Dec 2006, 21:51 (Ref:1800777)   #1
les wright
Rookie

Australia
Bayview New South Wales
les wright should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1986 F1 Benetton BMW B186 where are they?

Does anyone know where I can contact another owner of a Benetton B186?

We have recently completed the mechanical restoration of Benetton B186/05 driven by Gerhard Berger in 8 GP's during the 1986 season.

The linkages ,and other items on the intake side have been changed and as we are not keen to try and reinvent the wheel a few photos of another car would avoid a lot of headaches.

Any help where I can contact another owner would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Les Wright
Old 28 Dec 2006, 23:13 (Ref:1800818)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Presumably the engine is still the BMW turbo 4?

Is This where your Benetton has come from? It seems there are pics of the car from many angles here, and the site proclaims to be an outlet of Benetton equipment & parts... might be worth an ask...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 29 Dec 2006, 01:06 (Ref:1800868)   #3
les wright
Rookie

Australia
Bayview New South Wales
Yes the engine is a BMW 12/13 ,4 cylinder with a Turbo ,the car came from F1 sales,unfortunately that does not equate to them having much technical knowledge or information.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 05:52 (Ref:1800930)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Welcome to ten-tenths Les and good luck with gaining the information you seek.

Have you tried asking the guys from the BOSS series as I am sure a couple of Benettons used to run there, one was an ex Schumacher car?
Old 29 Dec 2006, 06:20 (Ref:1800937)   #5
les wright
Rookie

Australia
Bayview New South Wales
Thanks I will try them,however after 1986 Benetton changed from BMW to Ford so the later cars are not much help.

Benetton built seven cars for the 1986 season of which two were destroyed which leaves five, BMW have one [ in responce to my emails they reply ''We have no infomation on these cars''] I have one, so there are three more somewhere.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 06:23 (Ref:1800939)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not much help to you Les but I do recall those cars racing and that BMW engine with the exotic fuels, used to leave a pall of dense black vapour during qualifying. A sight we'll not witness again.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 07:51 (Ref:1800962)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Les, have you thought about contacting BMW themselves to see whether they might be able to help?
Old 29 Dec 2006, 08:47 (Ref:1800990)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by les wright
Benetton built seven cars for the 1986 season of which two were destroyed which leaves five, BMW have one [ in responce to my emails they reply ''We have no infomation on these cars''] I have one, so there are three more somewhere.
Ahem.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 08:49 (Ref:1800991)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Ahhh sorry. I didn't read the previous posts properly!
Old 29 Dec 2006, 09:40 (Ref:1801020)   #10
les wright
Rookie

Australia
Bayview New South Wales
stephen,

Maybe someone out there has some contacts with BMW in Germany to give me a leg in ,I want to look at the car with the body off .

Last edited by les wright; 29 Dec 2006 at 09:43.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 00:31 (Ref:1801565)   #11
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matthew Mortlock entered that one for a Euroboss race at Brands about 4 or 5 years ago so it was a runner...........it was bounced off the tyre wall coming down from Druids in qualifying but there was very little damage ie just the nose cone I think. Hope this helps?
Old 30 Dec 2006, 18:56 (Ref:1801898)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is there any point in trying to get in touch with someone like Heini Mader or the people that ran the Megatron engines perhaps.
Am sure they might be able to help or maybe even Brian Hart who ran a 4 cylinder turbo engine at that time, I know its a different engine but he must ahve looked damn hard at what BMW were doing in his time!
Old 30 Dec 2006, 20:41 (Ref:1801938)   #13
les wright
Rookie

Australia
Bayview New South Wales
Good suggestion Heini Mader has already assisted me with parts and technical information I will ask.
Old 31 Dec 2006, 13:26 (Ref:1802185)   #14
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Excellent stuff, fair to play to you guys for having a go at a turbo car, i was not quite old enough to see these amazing machines racing when they were new, so I would travel a fiar way to see something being put through uts paces currently

And the colour scheme was one of the ebst ever!
Old 2 Jan 2007, 21:05 (Ref:1804247)   #15
Dunzer
Rookie

Ireland
Ireland
Dunzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Les, maybe not much help to you, but I know where another Benetton B186 resides. Its chassis number 2, B186/02 and is owned by Martin Birrane. It is housed in a museum at the circuit he owns in Ireland, Mondello Park. If you visit the website: www.mondello.ie/museum.php and select the thumbnail image of the car it will show some info about the car, although the photo isn't great. You could also try contacting Mondello: info@mondellopark.ie - maybe they could supply you with additional photos? That still leaves two other cars out there somewhere!!!

Best of luck,

Dunzer
Old 2 Jan 2007, 21:50 (Ref:1804285)   #16
les wright
Rookie

Australia
Bayview New South Wales
Thanks Dunzer that is great news I will follow up immediately.
les wright
Old 2 Jan 2007, 22:01 (Ref:1804291)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Can I interrupt and say this is exactly what ten-tenths is all about. I sincerely hope you manage to get the information you need Les and thanks to everyone for their help so far.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 08:38 (Ref:1809350)   #18
NigelJ
Rookie

NigelJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a chum who is in the process of restoring an Arrows A8 which also uses the Megatron motor. I don't know if the linkage, etc, is the same as the Bennetton installation but I can get some photos if that will assist you.

Also Wayne at Pelican Parts in the USA has several of these motors for sale and I know he has lots of photos of them although they do appear to be incomplete. If you get on the Pelican Parts website and do a search you shoiuld be able to find these photos. Try http://forums.pelicanparts.com

Cheers

NigelJ
Old 8 Jan 2007, 11:13 (Ref:1809453)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome to TT, Nigel.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 11:21 (Ref:1809463)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Welcome Nigel.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 19:48 (Ref:1809869)   #21
NigelJ
Rookie

NigelJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Peter & John

Thanks very much for the welcome - much appreciated.

I have been hanging around for some time and only registered when I saw this thread. I think it is great to get these fabulous cars up and running again and if I can help then thats great too.

I now have photos of the Arrows installation if Les needs them.

Cheers

NigelJ
Old 8 Jan 2007, 23:01 (Ref:1810029)   #22
les wright
Rookie

Australia
Bayview New South Wales
I really appreciate all the intrest and suggestions everyone .

I am makeing progress,have been in touch with the Auto museum in Ireland am waiting for the return of the curator from holidays.

And thanks Nigel, will follow up your lead of pelican motors,the Arrows BMW are a slightly different setup and I can't be sure linkages would be the same as the Benetton,but certainly still of intrest .

Thanks all
Les
Old 8 Jan 2007, 23:47 (Ref:1810057)   #23
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I know that BMW got in touch with their dealers in the turbo era to buy any good used 4 cyl units to use in the building of race engines. They wanted stress relieved blocks for all that stick !
Old 9 Jan 2007, 04:22 (Ref:1810117)   #24
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Les,

I told it would work didn't I .

Bryan.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 22:15 (Ref:1810788)   #25
PelicanParts
Rookie

PelicanParts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelJ
I have a chum who is in the process of restoring an Arrows A8 which also uses the Megatron motor. I don't know if the linkage, etc, is the same as the Bennetton installation but I can get some photos if that will assist you.

Also Wayne at Pelican Parts in the USA has several of these motors for sale and I know he has lots of photos of them although they do appear to be incomplete. If you get on the Pelican Parts website and do a search you shoiuld be able to find these photos. Try http://forums.pelicanparts.com

Cheers

NigelJ
Three of the engines are complete, with one that is missing some fuel injection components / throttle-bodies. All four are complete engine blocks.

These were "inherited" from our historic auction of 917 and 908 racing engines with MC Brian Redman last year:

-Wayne

(Welcome Wayne, but marginal though it was, we allowed the link once since it was directly relevant to the thread title. This, however, is advertising, since it is your business, and breaches our rules, so I have pulled the other links you have provided - Anyone sufficiently interested has enough info. here to find it themselves - JT )

Last edited by John Turner; 10 Jan 2007 at 09:27.