Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
hahaha You got in there before me...

Selby
Some of the placemarkers in Gmaps could have done with a bit more precision... I remember I was lloking fo a track in Brazil, and the placemarker pointed to the middle of an urban highway... The track was looooong miles away, not even close the city. I guess the marker was meant to point to the headquarters of the company that operates the track - but even then it was poorly placed - I dounbt their office was on a highway

I have also found the building of an institute i was looking for in a river, about 30 meters off the bank...

bio
Old 19 Jan 2011, 21:45 (Ref:2817998)   #27
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I liked Dans version but decided the brief was to eliminate the dangerous parts of the circuit without encroaching on the surrounding countryside but retain the essential elements of the circuit...

So is this what Mr Tilke would do ....
Go inside the exisiting layout using internal roadways and cut of the extraneous arm running down the valley...and shorten the circuit a little.
Attached Thumbnails
spa Madness.jpg  
Old 19 Jan 2011, 22:20 (Ref:2818020)   #28
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That one really looks like it was him

Good one.

bio
Old 8 Apr 2015, 03:55 (Ref:3524925)   #29
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
We need more topics like these! This was so much fun lol I went on to make a very comical Brands Hatch based on this.

Selby
Old 14 Apr 2015, 12:32 (Ref:3527372)   #30
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
We need more topics like these! This was so much fun lol I went on to make a very comical Brands Hatch based on this.

Selby
I think this is something we all want to see...
Old 14 Apr 2015, 16:23 (Ref:3527433)   #31
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I added a quintuple-apex bend.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6582334
Old 16 Apr 2015, 10:09 (Ref:3527890)   #32
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I added a quintuple-apex bend.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6582334
This is not tilkey enough, NaBUru. Tilke's circuits do have bends, too, you know ;-)

But when I look back at my old Tilkefication of Spa from a few years back, I must say I should have done better. For example, why is there no stadium section? Why weren't the pits moved to somewhere near Stavelot? Why wasn't the circuit shortened to achieve shorter lap times and thus more exposure for sponsors?

I feel I should try again. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6583812

The new pit complex takes the place of what once was Stavelot corner. Blanchimont is abolished as it is deemed too dangerous. Hence, there is a sharp right-hander before it, followed by a somewhat wider left-hander that lead the track down to the road that runs along the creed towards the dip that is known as Eau Rouge. But not so fast: the creek itself twists and turns and is a challenge to follow with a racetrack. So the track is not straight in this section but includes quite technical chicanes, several of them. The first of them is built to avoid having to bridge the creek under tarmac due to an environmentalists' wish, the 2nd of them is located in a spot where they cleared a space for parking for the "old" circuit, and the 3rd one is located just before the track goes through the "classic" portion of land: it leads through in between the houses that have long stood in the infield of the "old" circuit. Incorporating those classic buildings into a modern state of the art facility was no easy task, yet the benefits are obvious: they give the racetrack some much-needed character. However, the "new" circuit does not reach up towards La Source. That is due to noise concerns from the nearby town of Francorchamps and the old grandstand not providing that much of an overview after all. So, in between the ancient houses, the track turns sharply right, mimicking the original La Source, moving towards another tight right-left chicane, that is placed there to slow cars down before they enter the uphill Eau Rouge Tunnel. Yes, you have read that correctly. This circuit is going to get a tunnel through which slowly rises the track towards its exit onto the Kemmel straight. There just was no way to tarmac the sides of the steep rise after the original "Eau Rouge", and the tunnel concept surely is unique, as can be seen at the pit exit of the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi. Kemmel straight is almost unchanged, but the kink at its beginning is sharpened. Also, Les Combes gets a makeover, in the style of the first corner of the New Nürburgring, to promote overtaking. Malmedy gets an increase in runoff with the track moving further towards the inside, Rivage is also unchanged but the left-hander that follows, also sees an increase in runoff space, for which the circuit is moved towards the inside of said corner. Now, there's the multiple-apexed Pouhon coming up next, which has been copyrighted by a previous poster, and was inspired by Kurtkoy's Turn 8. Fagnes gets sharpened to promote overtaking, and just before the entrance of the old Stavelot, the circuit leaves the track to the left for the stadium section, inspired by the baseball stadium of Mexico City, Mexico. Next up is another straight which leads to the final section of corners which is inspired by the final section of corners from Istambul Park, also giving the fans a great view of drivers steering their cars around tight bends. And then it's on to the new main straight which also hosts an enormously high control tower behind the pit building, from which you can oversee the whole circuit, even up to Les Combes.

Now, looking at it, the circuit is longer than the original. Shortening it would have meant turning right into the woods after the exit of the "Eau Rouge Tunnel", towards the "new" Pouhon... ;-)

Oh dear, oh dear, Bureau Tilke gets bashed a heck of a lot around these places. I feel they have done a fine job to preserve the football fields in the infield for the locals in their update of the Mexico City, Mexico, circuit, whilst increasing runoff space at the same time. And those stands in the two stadium sections will be full, unlike those in Hockenheim. After all, Mexico City is a special destination for racing not because of its circuit (Peraltada notwithstanding) but due to its altitude.

I have second thoughts about posting this useless redesign now, but I'll post it anyway because the concept of an "Eau Rouge Tunnel" is just too hilarious.
Old 21 Apr 2015, 06:57 (Ref:3529590)   #33
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG View Post
I think this is something we all want to see...
I'll have to dig it out! I made it in rFactor (without any real track buildings/details, just track and grass) and it was so funny!

I basically just tightened every corner and got rid of the elevation changes through Paddock to Druids

Selby
Old 27 Apr 2015, 11:56 (Ref:3531144)   #34
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'll have to dig it out! I made it in rFactor (without any real track buildings/details, just track and grass) and it was so funny!

I basically just tightened every corner and got rid of the elevation changes through Paddock to Druids

Selby
Well, it certainly is hard to duplicate what Bureau Tilke has achieved at Hockenheim: The long run through the forest is now a beautiful hiking path, the circuit having completely lost its low downforce character in the process, yielding the erstwhile exiting Motodrom section less exciting because drivers no longer have to wrestle low downforce cars through those tight turns but high downforce cars which look far less exciting. Sure, Tilke has built a nice overtaking opportunity with an amazing spot for a switchback at the hairpin and the corner in front of the Mercedes Tribune but that led to the fans preferring the Mercedes Tribune over the Motodrom because that's where the action is now. And the huge number of less exciting seats in the house just don't sell like when they were still exciting.
But in the end, it's just what Bernie had asked for, and he got it because he is Bernie.

That hiking path, though, would be really interesting for taking a walk ... ;-)
Old 29 Apr 2015, 03:52 (Ref:3531681)   #35
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
It was just a butchering. Why couldn't they have just further slowed the chicanes down?

I heard they wanted more sponsorship time and a better fan viewing experience, so it'd cater for both of those.

Just have a couple of hairpins that go back on themselves, then woosh, down the next straight again!

Such a shame. Love watching the non-DRS slipstreaming from the old clips.

That's another point. It wouldn't be the same now anyway with DRS.

Selby
Old 3 May 2015, 08:53 (Ref:3533503)   #36
olivk
Rookie

Switzerland
Switzerland
olivk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Next step : Tilke remodelling the Nordschleife ? ... ---->[]
Old 3 May 2015, 11:35 (Ref:3533582)   #37
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yeah he would probably come up with the new Nurburgring!
Old 5 May 2015, 19:57 (Ref:3534462)   #38
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Nah, new Nurburgring is quite flowing! Not enough tight turns.

Didn't him and Schumy come up with the new T1? I much preferred the flowing hairpin, but it does create an overtaking op, I guess.

It's just so nasty and fiddly.

Selby