Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 2 Nov 2014, 23:16 (Ref:3470975)   #1126
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Well ... I have been a SpeedSource fan since they ran R8s and a fan of Tristan Nunez since he was in Lites, and I have to be honest--with a great driver lineup and an experienced team, SpeedSource has barely been able to field a non-comical car since they switched to the diesel Mazda6.

Pointing that out doesn't make me a lout. And if a non-fan points that out, that shouldn't make him a target for scorn--again, being honest, wouldn't most of us have just a little scorn for a P2 which struggles to stay ahead of the GTDs?

The one poster might be "attacking" a slow car, the other is attacking a poster. 'Nuff said?
Bottom line about Speedsource is this. With their presence and/or performance would it make it more likely for you to buy a Mazda in the future?
Old 2 Nov 2014, 23:40 (Ref:3470981)   #1127
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I like the Mazda 6. If Im in the position and the Mazdaspeed 6 drops, maybe Ill buy it. Their racing doesnt affect my decision. Maybe others disagree.
Old 3 Nov 2014, 00:25 (Ref:3470995)   #1128
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Bottom line about Speedsource is this. With their presence and/or performance would it make it more likely for you to buy a Mazda in the future?
What happens on track doesn't affect my car buying decisions,I know full well there is little relevance between track and road car development,and hasn't been since the trans am days,hell conti challenge has more to do with that than prototype racing.if there was I'd own an Audi tdi by now or maybe even an Eco boost.i like the new Mazda 6 and would buy one if I needed a car but I like pick ups and have been buying toyota's long before they went lmp1 racing.
Old 3 Nov 2014, 12:56 (Ref:3471170)   #1129
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would hope posters here were intelligent enough not to base any buying decisions based on TV commercials, even ones as appealing as a WEC race.

That aside, the M5/Miata whatever its called now has always looked like a superfun toy (do they still make it?) but I can't spend that kind of money on toys.

Most fans of specific marques I have met were loyal to that marque whether it was winning that season or losing. I have never met a BMW aficionado who would switch his/her love to Mercedes because of the latest DTM results.
Old 3 Nov 2014, 14:30 (Ref:3471196)   #1130
kbeech
Rookie

United States
Alexandria, VA
kbeech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
With their presence and/or performance would it make it more likely for you to buy a Mazda in the future?
I bought a Honda recently. Ummm, yea, I'll go back to lurking. Sorry.
Old 3 Nov 2014, 15:11 (Ref:3471203)   #1131
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Updated P class tracker http://nasportscar.com/entry-list-so...usc-p-class-2/
Old 3 Nov 2014, 23:46 (Ref:3471395)   #1132
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Mazda has a great history in racing, they are currently trying to develop something that is new territory and it isn't going well. I had a Mazda years ago and remain a fan of the brand having watched countless victories by the RX3, RX7 and the 8's, plus the LeMans win, the season championship of WSC with the Kudzu, etc. They are long term in the sport (I hope).

But we are also a VW family, the fifth one is in the driveway now. We remain loyal to Herbie the Love Bug's amazing record
Old 4 Nov 2014, 00:19 (Ref:3471404)   #1133
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Kudzu ... if you live in the South you can;'t get away from Kudzu.

Old 4 Nov 2014, 01:26 (Ref:3471410)   #1134
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The issue is that their performances, to date, have been distinctly NOT confidence-inspiring. A number of times in 2014, the interference at the front of the GTLM field came not from a PC, but from either the #07 or #70; the most notable example of this was probably Long Beach. In addition, the program management has admitted that a substantial course change is likely on the cards, in order to even attempt to make it a competitive effort.

You want the complaints about the Mazda-Lolas to die down? Then, those cars are going to have to start showing better results. Right now, there is not a great deal of feeling that we're likely to see that improvement.
Old 4 Nov 2014, 02:21 (Ref:3471421)   #1135
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Quote:
I would hope posters here were intelligent enough not to base any buying decisions based on TV commercials, even ones as appealing as a WEC race.
There are a lot of factors that go into any buying decision. Sometimes I do choose to support companies that are involved in sportscar racing, not necessarily because I believe that their product is superior to other brands, but because I appreciate the fact that they chose to invest in the sport that I enjoy. I'm not a huge fan of Mazda for other reasons, but I like the open friendliness of their paddock setup and I still think the Lola coupe is one of the prettiest cars on the grid.
On the other hand, I also choose not to support brands and companies who's participation I feel, has been detrimental to my favorite form of entertainment. For this reason I will not even consider buying Continental tires. Also I have lost all respect for General Motors.
Old 4 Nov 2014, 02:25 (Ref:3471422)   #1136
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
That aside, the M5/Miata whatever its called now has always looked like a superfun toy (do they still make it?) but I can't spend that kind of money on toys.
The MX5 is still in production, with this all new version set to debut for the 2016 model year.

Old 4 Nov 2014, 15:25 (Ref:3471536)   #1137
Maelochs
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
There are a lot of factors that go into any buying decision. Sometimes I do choose to support companies that are involved in sportscar racing, not necessarily because I believe that their product is superior to other brands, but because I appreciate the fact that they chose to invest in the sport that I enjoy.
I might buy a particular brand of motor oil or coffee because they sponsor racing; a car is too big an investment for that sort of silliness.

Tully's makes really good coffee, but I tried it not because of that but because they help fund a team. If Tully's coffee only sold a $30 K ten-year supply I would never have tried it.

As for saying "No" that is a lot easier. Like yours, my car will never have Continental rubber on its rims.
Old 4 Nov 2014, 19:31 (Ref:3471590)   #1138
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Updated GTLM tracker http://nasportscar.com/entry-list-so...sc-gtlm-class/
Old 5 Nov 2014, 02:56 (Ref:3471702)   #1139
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Salt on the wound... look what Hot Wheels is releasing soon.

Old 5 Nov 2014, 02:58 (Ref:3471703)   #1140
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I might buy a particular brand of motor oil or coffee because they sponsor racing; a car is too big an investment for that sort of silliness.
Agreed. I'm not really a "new car" sort of person anyway.
Old 5 Nov 2014, 13:17 (Ref:3471809)   #1141
Brownj
Racer

United States
Georgia, US
Brownj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
Salt on the wound... look what Hot Wheels is releasing soon.

95?
Old 5 Nov 2014, 15:33 (Ref:3471858)   #1142
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
GTD entry list tracker http://nasportscar.com/entry-list-so-far-tusc-gtd/
Old 5 Nov 2014, 18:45 (Ref:3471945)   #1143
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shank Buys a Ligier:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/11059...le-mans-target
Old 5 Nov 2014, 18:55 (Ref:3471950)   #1144
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe he did it. Would it be crazy to see Ganassi switch to a P2 with the Ford engine too? The "Corvettes" are pretty much locked into their tubeframes until 2017 unless Chevy pulls a proper P2 engine out of thin air. I can only guess that Shank is going to drop the Ford DP engine into the Ligier. It would make little sense for him to go with another powerplant at this point. He'll probably be the engine development guinea pig for Ford itself.
Old 5 Nov 2014, 18:56 (Ref:3471951)   #1145
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
And no conformed engine yet either. Wonder if Ford are saving pennies for the GT programme.
Old 5 Nov 2014, 19:00 (Ref:3471952)   #1146
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
And no conformed engine yet either. Wonder if Ford are saving pennies for the GT programme.
The US manufacturers are finally (being forced to) hooking up with the rest of the world. Seems odd Ford wouldn't have Roush-Yates develop a proper P2 engine at this point.
Old 5 Nov 2014, 19:06 (Ref:3471954)   #1147
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great news about Shank. Le Mans with a stated aim too. If enough teams do that and own the right machinery TUSC will be forced to alter their calendar to accommodate in the long run.
Old 5 Nov 2014, 19:16 (Ref:3471956)   #1148
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wonder if this is a new chassis or one of the 3 originals? Waiting till after Daytona to debut is probably a good idea with the advantage the DP has there.

I have a feeling the fan opinion of Mike Shank is going to be shifting slightly after this announcement!

edit: just saw part of article saying they won't get the car until after Daytona, so that's the reason for running dp - not bop.
Old 5 Nov 2014, 19:18 (Ref:3471959)   #1149
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Good to see from Shank. Hope it works out well for him.

I guess now we know why he was always complaining about costs this season - he needed to save a fair chunk of cash!
Old 5 Nov 2014, 19:45 (Ref:3471970)   #1150
blankfile
Racer

blankfile should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did not see this one coming. nice to see something positive coming to IMSA