Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 1 Jul 2011, 10:00 (Ref:2909175)   #151
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Sounds like Audi is going to stay.....
Old 1 Jul 2011, 10:00 (Ref:2909176)   #152
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Very good and very positive news - now if only Ferrari would have a crack as well - how good would that be?
Great - but probably too great. Bernie would make sure to crush Le Mans by all means possible if that happened!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
Do you think DHL(german mail carrier/package serrvice) will sponsor. I don;t know what it is about that paint scheme that has me mesmerized.
I don't know, but I think they are sponsoring the Andretti team in the IRL this year. I guess Penske could run a Pennzoil/Shell yellow car if you like yellow since Shell is a major sponsor of Penske now. Of course, Shell and Porsche would not be unprecedented, although Mobil 1 was a major sponsor of their last effort.

Speaking of old Porsche sponsors and returning legends, Dunlop will not have a major factory team in Le Mans racing if BMW pulls out after this year (granted, they do have the JMW Ferrari). The Dunlops have been racy recently, maybe they should partner with Porsche? The Bentley did run Dunlops for a couple of years. Dunlop has not won overall in 20 years. It may be time to change that.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 10:01 (Ref:2909177)   #153
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Nishy tweeted this a couple of hours ago:

Quote:
Great news about Porsche back in LMP1 at Le Mans, looking forward to good hard competition from the boys from Flacht.
http://twitter.com/#!/AllanMcNish

All the talk is of 'competition' which is good to hear.

The boys from Weissach
Old 1 Jul 2011, 10:04 (Ref:2909180)   #154
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So any chance the numbers will be something like:
1) Audi
2) Audi
3) Audi
4) Porsche
5) Porsche
6) Porsche
7) Peugeot
8) Peugeot
9) Peugeot
Old 1 Jul 2011, 10:05 (Ref:2909181)   #155
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Speaking of old Porsche sponsors and returning legends, Dunlop will not have a major factory team in Le Mans racing if BMW pulls out after this year (granted, they do have the JMW Ferrari). The Dunlops have been racy recently, maybe they should partner with Porsche? The Bentley did run Dunlops for a couple of years. Dunlop has not won overall in 20 years. It may be time to change that.
Its a good possibility. Dunlop might try to woo them with promise of free tires in order to be affiliated with Porsche.

And considering Porsche doesn;t have a "factory" team in GT2 they don;t have to worry about being affiliated with one manufacturer in Gt2 and another LMP1.

I suspect Porsche will get alot of offers from the various tire maunfacturers but they might choose the tried and true michelins.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 10:06 (Ref:2909182)   #156
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
1) Audi
2) Audi
3) Audi
4) Porsche
5) Porsche
6) Porsche
7) Peugeot
8) Peugeot
9) Peugeot
I guess it depends on who wins in 2013, although that is a reasonable guess. Speaking of which, and I realize this can change by 2014, but will the honor of #1 go to the Le Mans champions or the WEC champions?
Old 1 Jul 2011, 10:07 (Ref:2909183)   #157
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
1) Audi
2) Audi
3) Audi
4) Porsche
5) Porsche
6) Porsche
7) Peugeot
8) Peugeot
9) Peugeot
It depends on who wins Lemans. the winning team gets 1-2-3. The second team gets 7-8-9.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 10:20 (Ref:2909201)   #158
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Speaking of which, and I realize this can change by 2014, but will the honor of #1 go to the Le Mans champions or the WEC champions?
Good point. I think to give it that extra layer of creditability they should give the #1 to the WEC winners.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 10:25 (Ref:2909204)   #159
92scotland
Racer

United Kingdom
92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
1) Audi
2) Audi
3) Audi
4) Porsche
5) Porsche
6) Porsche
7) Peugeot
8) Peugeot
9) Peugeot
10) Toyota
11) Toyota
12) Toyota

Old 1 Jul 2011, 10:32 (Ref:2909212)   #160
AGD
Veteran

Off-topic a bit, but if there is a major influx of factory programs, might it make sense to limit factory teams to two cars each in order to allow more privateers and GTEs in the field? I don't know how the factory teams would feel about that, but I think it is fair to let some other teams in other classes in.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 10:37 (Ref:2909215)   #161
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Off-topic a bit, but if there is a major influx of factory programs, might it make sense to limit factory teams to two cars each in order to allow more privateers and GTEs in the field? I don't know how the factory teams would feel about that, but I think it is fair to let some other teams in other classes in.
It could happen but it wasn't really an issue in '98/'99. Not sure whether the FIA will have a say this time. I'd much rather see a third works entry than a mobile chicane-level 458.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 10:43 (Ref:2909218)   #162
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
It could happen but it wasn't really an issue in '98/'99. Not sure whether the FIA will have a say this time. I'd much rather see a third works entry than a mobile chicane-level 458.
True, although GTs (aside from GT1s) were not as big back then as far as I can recall compared to today. Plus, if Le Mans is part of the WEC, all the WEC full-time teams have to get entries.

I agree that 3 Porsches LMP1s would be better than 2 plus a GTE-Am Porsche, but if the Ams are in the WEC, they have to be accounted for at Le Mans.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 10:55 (Ref:2909227)   #163
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
True, although GTs (aside from GT1s) were not as big back then as far as I can recall compared to today. Plus, if Le Mans is part of the WEC, all the WEC full-time teams have to get entries.

I agree that 3 Porsches LMP1s would be better than 2 plus a GTE-Am Porsche, but if the Ams are in the WEC, they have to be accounted for at Le Mans.
Absolutely you can't boot out the full season GTE-Am boys. It could be that auto invites are really fought over or the teams enter 3 cars for a full season.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 11:04 (Ref:2909238)   #164
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We're only the second year in to the decade, and yet 2011 has probably seen two of the most important sportscar announcements of the 2010s.

The WEC was one thing, but the first manufactuer entry and the return of Porsche is absolutely massive; we haven't even had a race yet in the World Championship and it's already proving to be some kind of success.

Porsche are going to be incredibly strong, and I'm just going to come out and say it now - Porsche will win Le Mans with this car. Porsche has accumalated some of the best drivers in sportscar racing through its factory drivers programme - exactly how many in sportscar racing right now have been involved with them at some point in their career? So already, Porsche should find it far easier than most first-year entries to get a decent driver line-up.

Maybe this project has an aim to take Porsche's tally to 20 wins at La Sarthe. If there's anything that will rattle Maranello, it would be their German rivals having a record twice as good as them at anything at all, let alone the world's greatest sportscar race.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 11:07 (Ref:2909242)   #165
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
We're only the second year in to the decade, and yet 2011 has probably seen two of the most important sportscar announcements of the 2010s.

The WEC was one thing, but the first manufactuer entry and the return of Porsche is absolutely massive; we haven't even had a race yet in the World Championship and it's already proving to be some kind of success.

Porsche are going to be incredibly strong, and I'm just going to come out and say it now - Porsche will win Le Mans with this car. Porsche has accumalated some of the best drivers in sportscar racing through its factory drivers programme - exactly how many in sportscar racing right now have been involved with them at some point in their career? So already, Porsche should find it far easier than most first-year entries to get a decent driver line-up.

Maybe this project has an aim to take Porsche's tally to 20 wins at La Sarthe. If there's anything that will rattle Maranello, it would be their German rivals having a record twice as good as them at anything at all, let alone the world's greatest sportscar race.
And what a marketing gimmick. ferrari's f1 last for 2 and 1/2 hours. Our Porsche P1 goes all day long.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 11:16 (Ref:2909253)   #166
AGD
Veteran

If the Wurz to Audi rumor is correct, it does make me wonder if maybe Timo and Romain are in their last year with Audi. Granted, Audi may have other openings as well with Dindo and maybe Fassler. I did hear here that Dindo could be back next year though. I'm not sure if I buy the rumor though.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 11:20 (Ref:2909259)   #167
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
I think timo and Romain will race with Audi through 2012. But all bets are off in 2013 when the Porsche starts testing.

Lets start naming the unborn baby.

Porsche RS Coupe.
Porsche RS Flybrid
Porsche 918 Coupe
Old 1 Jul 2011, 11:22 (Ref:2909261)   #168
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche RSR Coupe Hybrid
Old 1 Jul 2011, 11:51 (Ref:2909276)   #169
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Beetle-Hybrid RSRUUAAARRRGGHHH
Old 1 Jul 2011, 12:19 (Ref:2909290)   #170
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is cool news, curious to see if Ulrich will spearhead this for VAG or what. Has gas-hybrid regs been proposed and/or diesel downsizing?
Old 1 Jul 2011, 12:20 (Ref:2909291)   #171
msd76
Rookie

msd76 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
I think timo and Romain will race with Audi through 2012. But all bets are off in 2013 when the Porsche starts testing.

Lets start naming the unborn baby.

Porsche RS Coupe.
Porsche RS Flybrid
Porsche 918 Coupe
If its to be a real Porsche it should be 9 something something , but I'm sure some over paid marketing person will call it the Porsche "Lemanster" or something just as dumb.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 12:57 (Ref:2909310)   #172
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
could it be the Porsche 916. in reference to the 16 overall wins
Old 1 Jul 2011, 13:04 (Ref:2909317)   #173
AGD
Veteran

I think we'll be ok as long as they don't call it the Porsche 908 (B) or something like that!
Old 1 Jul 2011, 13:11 (Ref:2909323)   #174
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
This is cool news, curious to see if Ulrich will spearhead this for VAG or what.
Not on you life! The Group might be the same, but the companies are different.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 13:20 (Ref:2909328)   #175
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
This is cool news, curious to see if Ulrich will spearhead this for VAG or what. Has gas-hybrid regs been proposed and/or diesel downsizing?
Maybe. I think Ullrich is a man of the 4 rings though....