Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Jul 2011, 11:20 (Ref:2909258)   #26
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Worse than repeats - repeats of Friends ...
Old 4 Jul 2011, 12:18 (Ref:2917886)   #27
HTG2011
Rookie

HTG2011 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty sure this rumor has no substance. It has been fueled massively by the morons over on the Autosport forum where as usual a tenuous rumor is turned fact in heartbeat.
Old 4 Jul 2011, 12:37 (Ref:2917895)   #28
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
£3M a race?? bleeping heck.

Speaking as someone who tunes in at roughly 10mins before the start and switches off after the podium, i cant help but think that they could streamline their TV broadcast. (don't touch the radio - it's perfect as it is!).

But if the BBC cared about my opinion, they would'nt have that sewer of a channel BBC3. Utter durge.
Old 4 Jul 2011, 13:24 (Ref:2917920)   #29
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post

Speaking as someone who tunes in at roughly 10mins before the start and switches off after the podium, i cant help but think that they could streamline their TV broadcast. (don't touch the radio - it's perfect as it is!).
If the Beeb has to clip its expenses, I would prefer a streamlining of the current F1 show as suggested by Peat.
As much as I enjoy the current show and know the build up to any GP and the analysis afterwards are important to some, but both could go for me if the situation really is that bad. Also in tight times do we really need the 6 presenters?
Better to loose a presenter or two and some pre and post race babble than see the BBC drop coverage altogether or worse see it go to the likes of ad-fest C4.

P
Old 4 Jul 2011, 13:33 (Ref:2917925)   #30
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool View Post
The irony of this story is that Channel 4 have been trying to get its grubby hands on a slice of the license fee for years now.
Channel 4 has always got some of the licence fee, its state owned.
Old 4 Jul 2011, 15:02 (Ref:2917988)   #31
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I have to say an hour preview is too much. I'm a big fan but I don't want an hour preview. Too long and wandering. I've already read the trade mags and the internet. Is the casual fan really interested in an hour either?

Arrive at twenty minutes before the start. an intro, a little segment, gridwalk and green flag. done. cheap as chips.

Does the post-race forum really cost alot? Is their big costs with the red-button? I shouldn't think sitting around chatting away about replays costs that much? I like the forum tucked away on the red button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Is 3 million a pop the amount Bernie charges per race or is it actually how much they spend staging their shows? Bernie Eccelstone really is something else.

Either way it doesn't have to be this way.
Old 4 Jul 2011, 15:17 (Ref:2917998)   #32
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I have to say an hour preview is too much. I'm a big fan but I don't want an hour preview. Too long and wandering. I've already read the trade mags and the internet. Is the casual fan really interested in an hour either?

Arrive at twenty minutes before the start. an intro, a little segment, gridwalk and green flag. done. cheap as chips.
[pedant]In general the build up is currently 50mins, not an hour [/pedant]

I quite like the build up as it is, it allows the show to breathe a bit and some of the little features they do on various different things are good fun. Each to their own I guess...

Quote:
Does the post-race forum really cost alot? Is their big costs with the red-button? I shouldn't think sitting around chatting away about replays costs that much? I like the forum tucked away on the red button.
I agree, I can't imagine it costs a huge amount. And for me it's a great way to finish the race weekend, when they can talk to drivers/team personnel/random mechanics when the pressure is off and the dust has settled a bit. In many ways it's become my favourite bit of the weekend.

Quote:
Is 3 million a pop the amount Bernie charges per race or is it actually how much they spend staging their shows? Bernie Eccelstone really is something else.

Either way it doesn't have to be this way.
Given the increase in audience since the beeb took over, Bernie should be paying them
Old 4 Jul 2011, 16:47 (Ref:2918048)   #33
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think shortening the pre-race/quali shows and dumping a presenter or two would make much of a dent in the 60m or so the BBC spends on it every year, although I guess it would be interesting to know how much the BBC spends on the "features", eg. flying to Watkins Glen. If these small costs are building up, they may as well do away with several of their online team and just post links to more interesting articles elsewhere.

If showing practice sessions is adding a reasonable amount onto the cost, they could go quite easily.

Aside from that, the only thing which would cheapen it is Bernie offering a discount.
Old 4 Jul 2011, 17:12 (Ref:2918061)   #34
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murdoch buying F!. Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
That's nothing! Apparently someone at the City of Austin council meeting has just said that Murdoch is going to buy F1. Stranger things.....
I'm a little late on this one and I heard the same thing Marbot. Must say left me shaking my head. If this topic has legs might want to have it's own thread. Just sayin. So, here is some really recent news about Mr. Murdoch's proposed take over of the premeire racing series of the world (that woould be F1 ya all). "Murcoch doesn't even know who runs F1" from PITPASS.COM. here: http://tinyurl.com/3wxoqp3I wouldn't bet a dime for or against this, dealing with BE and RM.

Last edited by ujoint; 4 Jul 2011 at 17:25.
Old 4 Jul 2011, 19:47 (Ref:2918159)   #35
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take it that 3m must be mainly licence from Bernie. There's no way that shipping 6 presenters and enough people to film 6 people costs 3m per race. Two of them stand together for crying out loud!
Old 5 Jul 2011, 10:32 (Ref:2922239)   #36
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
I take it that 3m must be mainly licence from Bernie. There's no way that shipping 6 presenters and enough people to film 6 people costs 3m per race. Two of them stand together for crying out loud!
What income does the Beeb make from F1? They sell their coverage to other TV stations outside the UK - particularly those in the english speaking world. And this trend seems to be increasing e.g. this year Setanta (outside UK) dumped their own studio/commentators and started showing the BBC coverage. [I used to flick between Setanta and BBC - was always interesting to get the views of two sets of commentators/analysts. Unfortunately this is now gone].
Old 5 Jul 2011, 12:03 (Ref:2922290)   #37
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
AFAIK, FOM own all the cameras, and the BBC buy the feeds from them FOM also provide all the onscreen graphics, and the backend systems to update them all. A lot of the £3M must be down to that I would think.

After all, the presenters probably only cost £42.50 and a pickled egg. (per person, per race).
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 5 Jul 2011, 14:20 (Ref:2922351)   #38
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Could anyone dig out any numbers on how much the beeb spends on a season of MotoGP? WOuld be an interesting 'value-for-money' comparison.