Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 28 Jun 2008, 20:22 (Ref:2239401)   #1
bathceltic
Rookie

Isle of Man
bathceltic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands Hatch WTCC 2008 pits walkabout

Are they worth the £12 at Brands? Do you get access to drivers, are they usually over crowded are they suitble for 11 year ols (Height issue) . Just wondering if anyone has had experience of it last year.
Old 28 Jun 2008, 20:39 (Ref:2239408)   #2
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They're just very busy. You get to see drivers, and if you queue for a bit, maybe get them to sign something even.

But that's about all, you don't get to wander round the cars so much as just see the front of them parked in the garage.

The height issue shouldn't be a problem, to see anything you need to move in front of people whether you're 6 foot or 4 foot.

P.S. Moved to trackside, it's our circuit talk forum.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 09:19 (Ref:2240307)   #3
mullered
Rookie

United Kingdom
West Sussex
mullered should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I took my 11 year old nephew to the WTCC last year for his first taste of motor racing and he was most disappointed when we went down the pitlane as none of the drivers were about. Eventually a few appeared, but it wasnt organised as at BTCC and I certainly wouldnt pay £12 again for it. Luckily the BMW drivers and Thommo and his team mate appeared down in the paddock halfway through the afternoon for a signing session, but in my opinion don't bother to fork out for a pitlane pass. You can't even see much of the cars as they close the doors

In fact I am not even bothering to go this year to see Yvan as I am struggling 3 years in to watch the series. It seems to me that even if they touch another car when racing they are penalised and am finding it very dull

Just my opinion
Old 30 Jun 2008, 09:24 (Ref:2240311)   #4
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's not advertised as an autograph session so I wouldn't bank on having drivers there, you might well get lucky as some of them are more than happy to meet and greet. It's really a chance to see the cars and the pits.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 11:44 (Ref:2240376)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
As I recall it was similar for the DTM. The pitlane walkabout is a chance to walk down the pitlane and see teams working on the cars.

If you are used to pitlane walkabouts in the BTCC with drivers, autographs and freebies then you will be disappointed.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 14:28 (Ref:2240504)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
When I went to the DTM at Donginton it was a free pitlane walk - worth doing as you did get a chance to see the cars with their fronts off etc etc but it's certainly not worth £12. It's interesting but not £12 interesting (or double by the sound of it if you're taking your 11 year old). Given that WTCC cars aren't as good exotic as the DTM cars it's even less worth it (shoddy English but you know what I mean ) If the teams are going to do any really interesting stuff to a car they'll shut the door anyway.

If you're in the pitlane at any time other than the official pitwalk then it would be a whole lot more interesting
Old 30 Jun 2008, 19:44 (Ref:2240755)   #7
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it was rubbish last year - absolute rubbish. A few cars and 3 drivers. Save your money, get there early and stand by the paddock gates.....
Old 30 Jun 2008, 20:40 (Ref:2240824)   #8
bathceltic
Rookie

Isle of Man
bathceltic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. That is really useful. I remember as a 13 year old going to the Brands Hatch F1 walkabout at the Euro GP in 1983 and I saw quite a few drivers but by 85 silverstone they were rubbish. It seem s from your comments that it is the same in wtcc. Widening my query any tips on vantage spots. Again with an 11 year old I was seriously considering the £24 for the two of us to be sat at Paddock hill bend, or are there other better vantage spots, and is there a big screen? Thanks again.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 21:36 (Ref:2240938)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
don't get a grandstand ticket - walk around, and take either a waterproof blanket thing with you or chairs to sit on. you get just as good views from the banking and you're not stuck to one spot to get your value for money too. either chairs or a blanket are a couple of quid from tesco which represents a great saving on a grandstand seat
Old 2 Jul 2008, 08:44 (Ref:2242060)   #10
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
take your own seating and that gives you more options - sit at paddock for a while then head off to Clearways or venture out around the GP loop (worth doing - there are some impressive corners out there!)