Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 5 Mar 2003, 11:53 (Ref:525504)   #1
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
getting your photos in the media ?

just out of interest, how would people usually get their photos in the magazines ?
does the photographer approach the media or the other way around?
Old 5 Mar 2003, 19:51 (Ref:525971)   #2
Alan
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire, UK
Alan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've had a few published in mags and a local newspaper - in each case I approached the picture editor.
If you have something that the pros are likely to have missed you should contact your target first thing Monday morning. If they are interested they will usually ask for the roll to be delivered asap and may arrange a courier.
Interesting or unusual pictures are sometimes used as fillers, again you have to approach them for their requirements.
Be carefull - I once sent some transparencies to a new motoring magazine which published the images. However they closed down after the following issue and they were lost forever.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 22:42 (Ref:526104)   #3
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Firstly, make sure they're good-I know it sounds obvious but I had (what I pressumed was going to be a great sequence)a mega shunt and phoned Autosport Monday morning (before I had prossed the film)and told them-they wanted it ASAP. Anyway-to cut a long story, I got the film developed quickly and to my dismay they were rubbish!...completely out of focus with the last few sharpe...I didn't bother sending them! As Alan says, get in quick-perhaps send some of the mags some stuff anyway as many use "stock shots"...pics they can use for variuos features during the year if needed. I remember Autosport used my pictures of Ant' Davidson-the 1st pictures they had of him-for 3 or 4 times after his 1st FF1600 race (I knew he looked quick!)because no one else had bothered taking him -including the Autosport photographer at the time! Just take the risk and send something.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 23:07 (Ref:528237)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Any tips for submitting digital images? I've read somewhere that you should always include a proper print along with the CD to allow the editor to easily assess the subject matter. Would it be ok including an A4 sized inkjet quality index print rather than go to the trouble of getting everying properly printed.

I'm thinking about sending a few stock shots to various mags just to get a foot in the door. What's a good ballpark number of pics to send.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 23:30 (Ref:528265)   #5
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first thing you should do is contact the publications you want to send pictures to and ask for their photography guidelines. These guidelines should tell you how to submit your images (sizes, formats,etc). Follow these guidelines carefully. Most editors won't waste their time looking at submissions that don't meet their needs. Remember publications probably receive hundreds of submissions each month. Some don't accept anything on speculation others will welcome them and may keep them on file. You also can get some idea how and who to send your images to from the publications masthead. It is usually found near the front of the publication.

Another thing to remember is that if they use them they should pay you for them. After all they are in business to make money. You should get fair compensation for your images which will vary from publication to publication.

I bring this point up after listening to many a Champcar photographer complain that they can't make money because so many people are giving away their images for free. They blame the ametuers out there but they are also to blame because they to have sold their images for less than market value.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 00:26 (Ref:528346)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For Champcars (at least at the Canadian venues), there are so many amatuers out there (that would give their photos away) that the publications could likely get away with just taking their photos. But, I'm guessing many of the amateurs don't bother submitting their photos and most media have their own photographer(s) they send.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 8 Mar 2003, 00:40 (Ref:528358)   #7
MolsonBoy
Racer

The problem with publications just taking images given to them is that it will de-value the work done by others. Some of the best shooters have hung up their cameras because of this. Peter Burke is one that I know of. If you haven't seen his work go to INDYPHOT.COM and look at his images. They are fantastic but but people were not willing to pay the price because they could get other images cheaper. But alone with the low price is the low quality.

Last edited by MolsonBoy; 8 Mar 2003 at 00:40.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 09:56 (Ref:528676)   #8
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have seen it happen here recently were a magazine has used "a below standard" photographer who obviously charges very little-if nothing at all (perhaps an amature who wants to make the big time)-by that I mean someone who has very little skill in the given subject and kids themselves they are good (there are some damn good amatures out there as I have seen)the magazine in question has suffered and has already been a talking point by those who have read it and noticed the awfull pictures. It seems (sometimes)an editor may sacrifice quality instead of a slightly larger outlay in photographer fees-sadly.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 10:21 (Ref:528703)   #9
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For info on magazines try looking for a book called 'The freelance photographers market handbook' it list many of the UK magazines, newspapers, calenders, agencies etc. Gives you stuff like email addresses phone numbers editors names.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 13:34 (Ref:528873)   #10
MolsonBoy
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by brickkicker
For info on magazines try looking for a book called 'The freelance photographers market handbook' it list many of the UK magazines, newspapers, calenders, agencies etc. Gives you stuff like email addresses phone numbers editors names.
There is also one for Canada and the USA.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 02:27 (Ref:534656)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To be honest, the Magazines I've worked for over the years (major ones being Australian Auto Action, Motorsport News, Sports Car and Racer) have come into contact with me. With regards to newspapers, the only stuff I've been able to get in there is pictures that go with media releases from the race tracks/organisations I've done some stuff for. For the most part, any race meetings that newspapers cover have some saturation covering with photographers on the weekend, so they generally need something completely out of the blue you to get it published.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 00:20 (Ref:538480)   #12
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
with stuff like paper find an events version of me (if your in kent - probably is me unless its circuit racing) event press/publicity officer a while before the event as thier are sure to be sorting something with the media for pic etc. but you gotta be quick on the development.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 09:50 (Ref:579199)   #13
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone tried selling pictures to promotors prior to an upcoming event?