Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Dec 2014, 08:11 (Ref:3485137)   #1251
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Just a question, can anyone tell me for how long any team can race a Falcon after it goes out of production, is there a time limit for body styles?
Old 15 Dec 2014, 08:17 (Ref:3485139)   #1252
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't it be....

until another model is homologated?
Old 15 Dec 2014, 08:38 (Ref:3485143)   #1253
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post
Wouldn't it be....

Ford are dropping out altogether, so they won't be doing any homologating .........what if FPR and DJR/TP prefer to race the existing body type rather than go to the expense of homologating a new one?
Old 15 Dec 2014, 08:48 (Ref:3485145)   #1254
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Ford are dropping out altogether, so they won't be doing any homologating .........what if FPR and DJR/TP prefer to race the existing body type rather than go to the expense of homologating a new one?
Do you mean FG X (paid for by Ford) or Mondeo?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 15 Dec 2014, 09:03 (Ref:3485148)   #1255
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ford are dropping out altogether, so they won't be doing any homologating .........
Then wouldn't the Falcon continue......

forever.... ??
Old 15 Dec 2014, 09:10 (Ref:3485150)   #1256
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just a question, can anyone tell me for how long any team can race a Falcon after it goes out of production, is there a time limit for body styles?
Generally touring car series mandate that the body style must be available new for sale in the country, so until Ford actually cease selling the FG-X.

Some touring car series also mandate a minimum sales volume so manufacturers can't run GT vehicles, but I don't think this is done in V8SC due to the other rules around what type of car is required (means a GT can't be run at the moment anyway).

At the end of the day, Ford pulling out means the teams will be in exactly the same situation as Betty with Merc/AMG in 2016. They can run the FG-X if they like, at 100% their own cost, or move to another manufacturer that will give them support.
Old 15 Dec 2014, 09:27 (Ref:3485154)   #1257
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Do you mean FG X (paid for by Ford) or Mondeo?
After the FG-X.

FPR and DJR/TP aren't in the business of selling Fords so why should they bother showcasing Ford's latest models?..........they just need something to hang their advertising on.
Old 15 Dec 2014, 09:29 (Ref:3485156)   #1258
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
Generally touring car series mandate that the body style must be available new for sale in the country, so until Ford actually cease selling the FG-X.

Some touring car series also mandate a minimum sales volume so manufacturers can't run GT vehicles, but I don't think this is done in V8SC due to the other rules around what type of car is required (means a GT can't be run at the moment anyway).

At the end of the day, Ford pulling out means the teams will be in exactly the same situation as Betty with Merc/AMG in 2016. They can run the FG-X if they like, at 100% their own cost, or move to another manufacturer that will give them support.
That answers my question..........thankyou.
Old 15 Dec 2014, 10:01 (Ref:3485164)   #1259
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
Mercedes still had to give approval for Betty to run the E63's

If anyone wanted to run a non-FG or FGX bodystyle post 2015, they would need Ford's approval to do so, irrespective of whether Ford wants to tip any dollars in or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick
Wouldn't it be....

The FGX will be homologated for next year, but some FG's will still be on the grid at the start of the year.
Old 15 Dec 2014, 10:23 (Ref:3485169)   #1260
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post

If anyone wanted to run a non-FG or FGX bodystyle post 2015, they would need Ford's approval to do so, irrespective of whether Ford wants to tip any dollars in or not.

Really? Why?
Old 15 Dec 2014, 10:28 (Ref:3485171)   #1261
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Because Ford owns the intellectual property to the bodyshape.
Old 15 Dec 2014, 10:47 (Ref:3485178)   #1262
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Because Ford owns the intellectual property to the bodyshape.
I am still not sure how that would stop anyone from racing a Falcon after 2015.

There are race cars being built everyday for which the owner has not asked or received permission from the original manufacturer to race.
Old 15 Dec 2014, 11:40 (Ref:3485193)   #1263
naca
Racer

naca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Volvo Motorsport marketing boss, says motorsport doesn't agree with brand.
www.touringcartimes.com/2014/12/15/volvo-boss-says-motorsport-does-not-conform-with-our-brand/
They have achieved an awful lot in terms of repositioning their brand through their involvement in v8sc. Apparently they have contract going through until end of 16. Would have thought they'd be quite interesting in gen2 concept too.
Old 15 Dec 2014, 11:50 (Ref:3485195)   #1264
Bezzen
Racer

Sweden
Sundsvall
Bezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by naca View Post
Volvo Motorsport marketing boss, says motorsport doesn't agree with brand.
www.touringcartimes.com/2014/12/15/volvo-boss-says-motorsport-does-not-conform-with-our-brand/
They have achieved an awful lot in terms of repositioning their brand through their involvement in v8sc. Apparently they have contract going through until end of 16. Would have thought they'd be quite interesting in gen2 concept too.

I think they need a new marketing boss.

Everybody knows that Volvo has safety as their main thing. Together with their motorsport program they are slowly also showing that the cars are pretty cool as well. So now they want to go back to just being safe and boring. Good move.
Old 15 Dec 2014, 21:10 (Ref:3485326)   #1265
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
WP To Redouble Efforts
Old 15 Dec 2014, 21:26 (Ref:3485337)   #1266
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Todd Kelly To Keep Driving

The other bit in the article of note is that Jack Daniels seems to be slimming down its involvement. There was much talk of this at Homebush of this meaning only one Jack Daniels Nissan next season..

Old 16 Dec 2014, 00:21 (Ref:3485358)   #1267
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One wonders why Nissan doesn't just go the whole hog and have one Kelly in a full factory car and plaster ads and demo cars all over. I feel they could really learn from Volvo on activation of their spend.
Old 16 Dec 2014, 04:17 (Ref:3485404)   #1268
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Tony D'Alberto To Drive For SCAR in Enduros
Old 16 Dec 2014, 05:31 (Ref:3485411)   #1269
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So then I wonder what does happen to his license?

Big news:

Quote:
Mark Winterbottom’s race engineer Grant McPherson has left Ford Performance Racing, bound for arch rivals Red Bull Racing Australia...
...The move ensures that Winterbottom will need his fourth engineer in as many seasons following earlier stints with James Small, who left for NASCAR at the end of 2013, and Campbell Little.
http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/12/16/...ects-red-bull/

To engineer one Craig Lowndes.

Can we see the headline now with Tim Edwards blaming Grant McPherson?

Good argument to make that building on a relationship with an engineer never hurt anybody.
Old 16 Dec 2014, 05:40 (Ref:3485414)   #1270
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
EBXR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DJRTP will run either Toyota or Lexus in 2017 I'm fairly certain "The Captain" has one of the largest Toyota dealerships in America
Old 16 Dec 2014, 06:12 (Ref:3485421)   #1271
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
I am still not sure how that would stop anyone from racing a Falcon after 2015.

There are race cars being built everyday for which the owner has not asked or received permission from the original manufacturer to race.
Because V8Supercar rules, as far as I know, demand approval from the manufacturer. IIRC that was one of the sticking points to the Erebus deal, MBA had to give approval to use the bodyshape.

I'm quite sure Falcon's can be used after 2015, Ford has already approved their use. If someone wants to build a Mondeo though...

Sports Sedans of course for example does not have this rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBXR8
DJRTP will run either Toyota or Lexus in 2017 I'm fairly certain "The Captain" has one of the largest Toyota dealerships in America
I don't think that means anything.

He's a big Toyota dealer yes, but in NASCAR he runs Fords and races against Toyota's.

He has a share in Ilmor who used to build the Mercedes CART engines while the Penske's raced with Honda engines.

He has his finger in many different and competing manufacturers pies
Old 16 Dec 2014, 08:30 (Ref:3485444)   #1272
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Because V8Supercar rules, as far as I know, demand approval from the manufacturer. IIRC that was one of the sticking points to the Erebus deal, MBA had to give approval to use the bodyshape.
Thanks one five five - that makes sense if V8 Supercar rules requires approval of the manufacturer.

I wasn't buying the BS about IP stopping someone from racing a particular make or model of vehicle. If that was the case sedan, touring car and GT racing would be very different to what we see now.
Old 16 Dec 2014, 08:37 (Ref:3485445)   #1273
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Funny just over 12months ago one R.Dane ( who runs v8Supercars ), was chucking the biggest of dummy spit cause A.Burgess got poached by HRT, now 12 or so months later he does the same to FPR by poaching G.McPherson for 2015, what a hypocrite.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 16 Dec 2014, 08:46 (Ref:3485449)   #1274
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Thanks one five five - that makes sense if V8 Supercar rules requires approval of the manufacturer.

I wasn't buying the BS about IP stopping someone from racing a particular make or model of vehicle. If that was the case sedan, touring car and GT racing would be very different to what we see now.
V8SC gives respect to the IP, hence the need for manufacturer approval.
Old 16 Dec 2014, 09:00 (Ref:3485452)   #1275
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR View Post
Funny just over 12months ago one R.Dane ( who runs v8Supercars ), was chucking the biggest of dummy spit cause A.Burgess got poached by HRT, now 12 or so months later he does the same to FPR by poaching G.McPherson for 2015, what a hypocrite.
Exactly, doesn't think twice about doing it himself, but cries like a baby and thinks the whole world is against him when the shoe is on the other foot. Don't worry, Karma is quietly sizing him up.