Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Mar 2015, 22:52 (Ref:3521646)   #1176
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
After a weekend that had a V8 meeting and a Gp take place and I find myself in a position where the only motor sport vision I have seen is a couple of clips on news broadcasts I start to wonder if Motor racing risks sinking to Basketball, Netball or baseball as a mainstream sport.
It is very easy to see the short term financial gains by going with pay but I think that both Archer and CVC are adopting a policy of grabbing as much as they can with no thought for the longer term future of the sport.
As it stands if you are a motorsport fan and want to watch your sport live you have to have a family of football fanatics to go anywhere near justifying the cost.
The upshot is that we are increasingly pointing our youngsters away from motor sport towards football. Not good for the sport.
Perhaps it is the fact that I've been around a long time and can remember the days when motor racing was very much a minor niche interest, great fun for those involved but virtually unknown by the general public. No money, no sponsors and no coverage on TV or in the print media.
Are we fans of a dying sport? Less and less young faces in the crowd at race meetings. Are Archer and CVC the smart ones cashing in before the sport fades away? Or are they the ones hastening the end?
Over to you Pecky.
Sadly, when the likes of Archer take over it is no longer about the sport but all about the mighty $$$$$.
Having seen the results of both the V8's and F1 splashed all over the net, I had no desire to watch the "highlights". First time in many a year I have missed watching either. When Fox stole the V8's, I thought " OK I'll concentrate on F1 this year" Well we all know what happened to that.
Thoroughly peed off and will never ever pay Fox for something that has always been FTA (had Fox twice before, disappointed each time, can afford it, will never subscribe)
The sport will sadly fade away, I'm sure I'm not the only fanatical fan of the sport for over 40 years that has had enough.
Cricket was great on 9 though.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 23:01 (Ref:3521650)   #1177
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Truthfully seeing some of the posts on Facebook lately I wouldn't be surprised if Foxtel was funding some astroturfing. Sounds EXACTLY like the kind of crap they would do.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 01:10 (Ref:3521684)   #1178
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And now for the numbers:

TV Ratings for Sunday: FoxSports 61k
Highlights TEN 110k ONE 34k

Out of interest: FormulaE Miami highlights ONE 31k
Netball ANZ Championship ONE 37k

Sun STV F1 Malaysia FoxSports 143k

I'm sure there's a way to put a positive spin on those fairly poor numbers and how the long term viability of the sport might be positively affected, it's just that I cant think of it right now. Pecky....?
Old 30 Mar 2015, 01:26 (Ref:3521689)   #1179
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
And now for the numbers:

I'm sure there's a way to put a positive spin on those fairly poor numbers and how the long term viability of the sport might be positively affected, it's just that I cant think of it right now. Pecky....?
what was last years?
Old 30 Mar 2015, 01:31 (Ref:3521693)   #1180
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
And now for the numbers:

Damn, I forget to record the Formula E!

Have the crowd numbers been released yet?
Old 30 Mar 2015, 01:36 (Ref:3521696)   #1181
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last years Sunday numbers according to V8 Supercars from a story on motoring.com 12 months ago was a total of 399,000 across two stations (Ch 7 in Sydney and Brisbane, 7Mate in Melboure, Adelaide, Perth)

So best case scenario the viewing numbers are now down by over 50%. Good luck with selling that to sponsors.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 01:36 (Ref:3521698)   #1182
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Am I the only thinking that there is no on-screen chemistry between Rusty and Crompo?

They both could be sitting at the opposite ends of the earth and have the same level of interaction.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 01:44 (Ref:3521702)   #1183
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
what was last years?
Last years rating for the Tassie round were low on 7/7mate. Whilst the V8's were up against the AFL last year, along with all the other sports this weekend, NRL etc, there wasn't the cricket World Cup, which was the most viewed show on TV in 2015 to date, posting numbers that the grand finals probably won't surpass.

All this means it is very hard to gauge just where the Tassie ratings sit.

Last edited by banksie; 30 Mar 2015 at 01:49.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 01:50 (Ref:3521703)   #1184
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Seems odd that they would choose that weekend to run a round then, no?
Old 30 Mar 2015, 01:55 (Ref:3521705)   #1185
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
From this story in 2014: http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2014...-picture-42690

Quote:
We’ve had polite – yes, perfectly polite – contact from V8 Supercars marketing director John Casey pointing out that the TV audiences for the Tasmanian races were better than we thought – or could see from tvtonight.com.au.

Casey has provided us with fuller numbers – combining, quite legitimately, the OzTAM numbers for the race telecasts on Channel 7 in Sydney and Brisbane and those same telecasts on 7mate in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.

On that basis the five-capitals average for Saturday afternoon’s first 100km race at Symmons Plains was 217,000 and for the second, of the same distance, was 284,000 – better than the 273,000 we saw in the OzTAM tables for the No. 20 program on Saturday.

Sunday’s 200km race garnered an average of 399,000 in the five capitals on Casey’s sums, again adding – perfectly legitimately – the Seven and 7mate numbers in the various cities.

That 399,000 was 95,000 – or 31.25 per cent – more than the 304,000 we had seen for Sunday’s No. 20 program.

It’s also back around the 400,000 norm for Sunday V8 Supercar TV telecasts, other than for the marquee events like the Bathurst 1000 and Adelaide’s Clipsal 500, in the middle of last decade.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 01:55 (Ref:3521706)   #1186
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Seems odd that they would choose that weekend to run a round then, no?
The same people thought it a good idea to run the test day against the Bathurst 12 hour... the same people that think 2 60km races on Saturday are entertaining...

Hardly the only odd decision.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 02:29 (Ref:3521712)   #1187
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Head to head on Foxtel - the F1 had double the audience as well.

Downward spiral detected
Old 30 Mar 2015, 02:31 (Ref:3521713)   #1188
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spent and hour or so yesterday getting rid of all the motorsport pages off my Facebook feed. Category pages, drivers, news sites, teams and other sponsors & hangers on. 24 hours later and I honestly don't miss it. I'm not even going to bother trying the F1 highlights package tonight.

I took RPM out of the series record on my PVR and I'm debating whether to bother with Speedweek anymore. I even went through the directory I have for PC desktop wallpapers and deleted all the V8 Supercars and Formula 1 pics in there.

Mainstream media couldn't care less about motorsport so I won't hear about it there and to be honest I very rarely watch the news anyway and always switch off when they cut to the commercials before the sport report starts.

24 hours in and it feels great. I'll stay subscribed to this thread though as I just wanna keep smirking after each round as the ratings keep falling and sponsors start leaving in droves.

My only question that remains is wether or not to bother watching the Bathurst 12 Hour next year as I dunno if I could be bothered being a once a year fan.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 04:05 (Ref:3521719)   #1189
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My son who is 26 years old has been racing since he was eight but never watches TV and the only motorsport he looks at is the 12 hour (for the first time this year) and a bit of Bathurst like the start and finish to see what happened. He is the new generation, they do not watch TV and neither him or any of his friends follow or watch motorsport. Unless he is driving he is not interested and even at the track never watches another race. Motorsport is shrinking from the ground up literally due to the teenagers not joining car clubs etc as the older generations did in times past. Get used to it because the numbers are on a downward trend.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 21:25 (Ref:3521985)   #1190
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
5 weeks till the next round, if you'd signed onto FOXTEL solely for the V8s, you might be questioning the value over the next month or so...
Old 30 Mar 2015, 23:17 (Ref:3522013)   #1191
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
I spent and hour or so yesterday getting rid of all the motorsport pages off my Facebook feed. Category pages, drivers, news sites, teams and other sponsors & hangers on. 24 hours later and I honestly don't miss it. I'm not even going to bother trying the F1 highlights package tonight.

I took RPM out of the series record on my PVR and I'm debating whether to bother with Speedweek anymore. I even went through the directory I have for PC desktop wallpapers and deleted all the V8 Supercars and Formula 1 pics in there.

Mainstream media couldn't care less about motorsport so I won't hear about it there and to be honest I very rarely watch the news anyway and always switch off when they cut to the commercials before the sport report starts.

24 hours in and it feels great. I'll stay subscribed to this thread though as I just wanna keep smirking after each round as the ratings keep falling and sponsors start leaving in droves.

My only question that remains is wether or not to bother watching the Bathurst 12 Hour next year as I dunno if I could be bothered being a once a year fan.
So you have removed yourselves from everything motorsport, and went to the extreme and deleted all your pictures from previous seasons (the ones that obviously gave you some joy / entertainment) but you will stay here to keep an eye on its demise.....

Quote:
5 weeks till the next round, if you'd signed onto FOXTEL solely for the V8s, you might be questioning the value over the next month or so...
The V8 calendar has been out long enough for people to make a call on whether their money was well spent signing up for Foxtel.
I'm sure if the option was to purchase on a month to month basis, some people would choose to not pay for April. But not many things work like that so you need to join everyone else in the real world.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 00:04 (Ref:3522023)   #1192
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

YOU'RE SO EDGY OMG.

<caps
Old 31 Mar 2015, 00:39 (Ref:3522033)   #1193
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
So you have removed yourselves from everything motorsport, and went to the extreme and deleted all your pictures from previous seasons (the ones that obviously gave you some joy / entertainment) but you will stay here to keep an eye on its demise.....
Like I said before, I look at it like a relationship, V8 Supercars has dumped me and you always wanna see your ex doing bad
Old 31 Mar 2015, 00:40 (Ref:3522034)   #1194
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Nah, if you wanna make that analogy, you dumped it.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 00:42 (Ref:3522035)   #1195
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
SC withdrew his ability to partake in the way he used to, how is that HIM dumping SC when they took the initiative? Who hit who first?
Old 31 Mar 2015, 00:45 (Ref:3522036)   #1196
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
SC withdrew his ability to partake in the way he used to, how is that HIM dumping SC when they took the initiative? Who hit who first?
SC attempting to move more upscale and improve themselves, yet he wants SC to stay the way it was and is unhappy with change.

...because he is unhappy with the change and is unwilling to adapt to it, he has let it go.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 00:46 (Ref:3522037)   #1197
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
So you'd be happy if your girlfriend all of a sudden says if you want to "spend time with her" in future you have to pay for it ?
Old 31 Mar 2015, 00:48 (Ref:3522038)   #1198
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
I mean, you take your significant other out for dinner and stuff quite often, I presume?
Old 31 Mar 2015, 01:17 (Ref:3522043)   #1199
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
So you'd be happy if your girlfriend all of a sudden says if you want to "spend time with her" in future you have to pay for it ?
i think the example is, im sick of living in this slum, im moving to a better area. You can stay here in the slum but you will see me less, because im living in this better area, but come with me but it will cost you more rent.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 01:55 (Ref:3522047)   #1200
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
i think the example is, im sick of living in this slum, im moving to a better area. You can stay here in the slum but you will see me less, because im living in this better area, but come with me but it will cost you more rent.
But at the same time you have to take her entire extended family out to dinner every week, costing ten times as much as taking your girlfriend out, shouting people you don't really like or care about...