Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 21 Oct 2011, 07:40 (Ref:2974607)   #1
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm confused...

I heard a lot of words against pack racing, that many people have indicated as being responsible of Wheldon's death...I have to confess I'm a fan of pack racing...how I said few days before, I'm very confused, because until last Saturday I read a lot of comments about "IndyCar has to be more funny", "we want more exciting race", "IndyCar has too much parades", "we want more fight", "we want more side-by-side", "NASCAR looks better because it has a lot of fights", etc.etc...now I heard that the problem is pack racing, cars too close, too many fights, too many side-by-side...sincerely I'm confued...where are this people before Sunday? Until sunday IndyCar was a parade, and now IndyCar has too much fight? I remember the first oval races of 2009...general comments from fans (and drivers too) were "boring", "no fights", "parade", and IndyCar was forced to make some adjustment to see back cars closer, fights and pack racing...now I'm confused and ask: where is the mistake?
Old 21 Oct 2011, 08:38 (Ref:2974620)   #2
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you serious?
Old 21 Oct 2011, 10:46 (Ref:2974665)   #3
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I think pack racing is just people's short hand for IRL pack racing with Dallara aircraft.

People's preference is for CART-type pack racing in which the cars keep a certain distance and the cars regularly stay on the surface in the event of a crash.
Old 21 Oct 2011, 10:50 (Ref:2974667)   #4
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As I have said, take off all the extra downforce and make it a real man's/woman's race, and if you think Indycars lifting and braking is boring, you obviously did not watch Milwaukee, which I thought was one of the best races of the year.

Id also rather see *boring* (AKA no 20 car pack racing rubbish) races than drivers being killed.
Old 21 Oct 2011, 10:55 (Ref:2974671)   #5
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Honestly, I found the pack racing boring...
Old 21 Oct 2011, 11:08 (Ref:2974677)   #6
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I think pack racing can be outstanding.
Old 21 Oct 2011, 11:33 (Ref:2974694)   #7
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personally I hate to see groups of cars running flat out in close company lap after lap, for me this has nothing to do with racing and (as all my US racing is consumed through the TV) if races develop in this fashion I just turn them off.

For oval racing to be interesting it is vital that the drivers have to lift and/or brake at some point during the lap, this brings back driver skill (rather than just cohones) and also means that the cars can't run only feet apart or side by side lap after lap because of aerodynamic effects and the fact that two cars going through the turn side by side have to compromise their lines and run slower. As we have seen not only is this type of racing more entertaining it's also safer than running in a pack.
Old 21 Oct 2011, 11:48 (Ref:2974700)   #8
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looking at Formula One, endurance sportscars and other styles of racing. The racing is captivating to watch because each race tells a story. The start, the accidents, the pit stops, the weather, the safety cars... each race has it's own storyline that unfolds as the laps tick away.

The Indianapolis 500 has this, that's one reason why it's usually the best race of the year. However, the "pack racing" seen on some of the ovals does not have any of this. The drivers are just hanging on until the last ten laps or so, then make a run for the front. A russian roulette to see who wins the race, with usually a very dramatic and close photo finish. And that's the problem with pack racing - too much emphasis on the end of the race, rather than letting the entire race tell it's story.

Obviously there is the danger aspect of it as well, especially with open wheelers in such close quarters.
Old 21 Oct 2011, 14:39 (Ref:2974762)   #9
marcostraz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
Looking at Formula One, endurance sportscars and other styles of racing. The racing is captivating to watch because each race tells a story. The start, the accidents, the pit stops, the weather, the safety cars... each race has it's own storyline that unfolds as the laps tick away.
IndyCar race have these too...but sometimes it seems like it was not enough...
Old 21 Oct 2011, 15:15 (Ref:2974777)   #10
marcostraz
Veteran

I was on stands at Chicagoland in 2009...I admit that the race was wonderful for me...it was not a "200 laps pack race"...we saw some side-by-side, some three-wide, some cars pull away, some fights between groups of 3/4/5/6 cars...and in the end, 15/20 final wild laps with 12/15 cars so close...but not a "200 laps pack race" with 25/50 cars togheter...what I want to say is: are we sure that are the 1.5 mile ovals, every 1.5 mile oval, the problem or was not just a problem of Las Vegas Speedway?
Old 21 Oct 2011, 17:21 (Ref:2974821)   #11
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
I think pack racing has some of the most thrilling sport that one can witness. There is an element of Tour de France to it in terms of some drivers making the decision to sandbag and conserve their energies for a lightning finish. This can happen particularly in a series with elderly cars with spec rules that every team is familiar with and the performance of each is uniform but if an important part of your measurement of motorsport is bravery, precision, discipline and close finishes then it merits a high rank in these terms.

Last edited by Paradise City; 21 Oct 2011 at 17:27.
Old 21 Oct 2011, 17:55 (Ref:2974830)   #12
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I always liked a mixture, hence the racing in CART, where the cars weren't going around in one big pack but there would be small packs of cars sometimes 3 wide duking it out, looking for that break to get out of the pack and go and join the next fight.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 00:03 (Ref:2975783)   #13
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As Will Power said to Robin Miller, "it's just one big dyno test".

That's not racing.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 00:37 (Ref:2975794)   #14
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcostraz View Post
I heard a lot of words against pack racing, that many people have indicated as being responsible of Wheldon's death...I have to confess I'm a fan of pack racing...how I said few days before, I'm very confused, because until last Saturday I read a lot of comments about "IndyCar has to be more funny", "we want more exciting race", "IndyCar has too much parades", "we want more fight", "we want more side-by-side", "NASCAR looks better because it has a lot of fights", etc.etc...now I heard that the problem is pack racing, cars too close, too many fights, too many side-by-side...sincerely I'm confued...where are this people before Sunday? Until sunday IndyCar was a parade, and now IndyCar has too much fight? I remember the first oval races of 2009...general comments from fans (and drivers too) were "boring", "no fights", "parade", and IndyCar was forced to make some adjustment to see back cars closer, fights and pack racing...now I'm confused and ask: where is the mistake?
I was thinking the same:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Remember when the 2009's early oval races were extremely boring? Cars were al spread out in a long single file. Then they changed the bodykits and everybody went "cool, now we have racing!"
Old 24 Oct 2011, 02:26 (Ref:2975809)   #15
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post

The Indianapolis 500 has this, that's one reason why it's usually the best race of the year. However, the "pack racing" seen on some of the ovals does not have any of this. The drivers are just hanging on until the last ten laps or so, then make a run for the front. A russian roulette to see who wins the race, with usually a very dramatic and close photo finish. And that's the problem with pack racing - too much emphasis on the end of the race, rather than letting the entire race tell it's story.

Obviously there is the danger aspect of it as well, especially with open wheelers in such close quarters.
Signature length limits need to be removed so everyone can use this in their sig.

Chris
Old 24 Oct 2011, 14:14 (Ref:2976051)   #16
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Sylvester Stallone recently said: "Life is a fight, and life is a race". He says that's why he filmed Rocky and Driven. That phrase increased my respect on him.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 22:30 (Ref:2976292)   #17
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Sylvester Stallone recently said: "Life is a fight, and life is a race". He says that's why he filmed Rocky and the movie that shall not be named. That phrase increased my respect on him.
FTFY
Old 25 Oct 2011, 14:41 (Ref:2976561)   #18
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
:P