Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 28 Jan 2008, 14:14 (Ref:2115537)   #1
ian beckett
Racer

ian beckett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nissan Skyline at 1982 Kyalami 9 hours.

Hi everyone,this is something of a longshot but I have faith in you all!I am about to start building a model of the Group 5 Nissan Skyline driven by Hobbs/Hasemi at the '82 9 hour race at Kyalami.The car was an extremely spectacular looking beast but it retired and certainly never appeared again on the International scene.There is a picture of the car on the Racing Sportscar site but Google does not throw anything up apart from the result of the race.The model I have just acquired from the States is very accurate but is of the car without full race decals(transfers to those like me of a certain age!!).I have some good pictures of the interior from magazines of the day and one from I think the old GPI report.Any chance anybody? Many thanks in anticipation,Ian.
Old 28 Jan 2008, 21:56 (Ref:2115815)   #2
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car was raced also in 1983 WEC Japanese round, at Fuji...have the GPI report, and maybe something more from AutoHebdo, I'll have a look asap...
Old 29 Jan 2008, 09:26 (Ref:2116143)   #3
ian beckett
Racer

Thanks Fausto.I knew the car also ran in '83 but it was very different than in '82.Pictures of that one would also be good however,Ian.
Old 29 Jan 2008, 09:49 (Ref:2116151)   #4
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure this is the R30 model with the LZ20 engine you are talking about? I used to be quite interested in these cars but it's pretty hard to find good information on them.
The best way to find pics is to search for the Nismo Festivals that Nissan/Nismo put on annually in Japan. They usually always roll out the Gr5 cars for some track action which the Japanese photograph and put on the net. A search for the Nissan museum/warehouse should turn up some pictures too.
Old 29 Jan 2008, 13:25 (Ref:2116288)   #5
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try looking at the pictures in this link, lots of photos from a sort of Nissan museum:
http://twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg.asp...msg_id=2079707

Was it red #11? There are pictures on that sight of at least one Skyline Gp 5 driven by Hasemi.
Old 29 Jan 2008, 15:27 (Ref:2116370)   #6
PZR
Racer

Japan
London, UK.
PZR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian beckett
I am about to start building a model of the Group 5 Nissan Skyline driven by Hobbs/Hasemi at the '82 9 hour race at Kyalami.The car was an extremely spectacular looking beast but it retired and certainly never appeared again on the International scene.
Ian,
I think you might need to be quite careful about this one, as you might get directed to photos of later versions of the car - which I think are quite different to the '82 Kyalami version.......

Nissan still have the '84 spec 'Super Silhouette' Group 5 Hasemi Motor Sport / Tomica no.11 car ( it is stored in their collection housed at Zama ) and it gets displayed and demonstrated from time to time. It has featured in many magazine articles and even a few videos over the years ( I have some of these ) and is still in running condition. However, I think it is quite different to the '82 Kyalami car.

In '82 Nissan had built what they called at the time the 'Skyline Group C', which was the forerunner to the Gr.5 Super Silhouette car. This 'Skyline Group C' was a completely different shape to the later Super Silhouette car, being much lower and much wider than what followed. Here are some photos to illustrate the differences:

First of all, the 'Skyline Group C' from 1982:

Now the slightly later 'Super Silhouette' Gr.5 version, with the roofline/cabin based on that of the standard road car:

Here's the later car roughly as it is today, as part of the Nissan collection:

I think the '82 Kyalami car was subtly different to the above. I believe I have a picture of it from practice; the driver has a white crash helmet - certainly not Hasemi with his customary black with gold pinstriping design of that period - so it might well be Hobbs or Pond. Trouble is the photo is across two pages of a precious book and I don't want to break the spine.....

Bear with me and I'll see what I can do.
Old 30 Jan 2008, 08:42 (Ref:2116843)   #7
ian beckett
Racer

Thanks guys.some brilliant photos.One of the problems for a modeller is to establish whether pictures are for current cars,post restoration or taken at the actual races they competed in.These are all recently taken and as a result some of the detail I am looking for is missing.The car in Kyalami form is not actually shown here but the lowline version seen in the pic's is as it ran one year later at the Fuji WEC race.The last four pic's are of the earlier version pre 1982.The car at the Kyalami race looked rather tatty and clearly from the race reports I have read was a real handful with lots of power from the huge turbo once it kicked in,but not much in the way of handling.Between practice and the race there were a number of changes presumably to aid cooling and several new vents appeared.The car was sponsored for the race by BP and Pretoria Brick who were later to appear on Kremer cars at a couple of events.The model I am working on is a now discontinued one by Gunze Sangyo and is very well modelled with quite a lot of detail but I suspect it is based on the car as it has appeared more recently and will therefore take some time to do all the modifications.Thanks again to all who have helped so far and keep looking to anyone else!! Ian.
Old 30 Jan 2008, 09:36 (Ref:2116886)   #8
PZR
Racer

Japan
London, UK.
Quote:
These are all recently taken and as a result some of the detail I am looking for is missing.
Recently taken? The only picture taken 'recently' in my above post was the final one ( with the later car as it is now, in Nissan's collection ) and even that was taken more than ten years ago. All the others were taken in period.

Quote:
The car in Kyalami form is not actually shown here but the lowline version seen in the pic's is as it ran one year later at the Fuji WEC race.The last four pic's are of the earlier version pre 1982.
The 'Skyline Group C' ( lowline body ) shots I posted were from 1982 and 1983, and the 'Super Silhouette' ( call it 'highline' ) Group 5 shots were from 1984. The one with the white Coca-Cola sponsored Central 20 Bluebird following was taken at the '84 Tour De Nippon event.

I believe the '82 Kyalami car was an earlier version of the Super Silhouette ( 'highline' ) car, and your Gunze Sangyo model will almost certainly have been based on the later version(s) that were seen more regularly in the 1984 season.

Here's a pic that was originally captioned as being at Kyalami, South Africa in 1982. The book that it was taken from was published in Japan in 1983. I believe that this will have been taken in pre-event testing. Notice the differences with the later 'highline' car(s) - particularly the rear wing. The front end shows similarities to the long-distance spec later car(s) ( functional quad headlamps, slat type grille ) rather than the typical 'Tekkamen' / 'Iron Mask' final spec:

I almost certainly have original Japanese press reports of the '82 Kyalami race, but they are in storage at the moment with almost all of my other '80s and '90s magazines. I will see if I can find that Kyalami article for you, as it is bugging me now.
Old 30 Jan 2008, 10:08 (Ref:2116906)   #9
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funnily that slat grille is more alike the HR30 grille and the preferred 'iron nose' is from the later model top spec DR30 Skyline.

PZR, do you happen to know how the S110 and S12 (Silvia) Super Silhouettes fit into this timeline too?
Old 30 Jan 2008, 10:10 (Ref:2116911)   #10
ian beckett
Racer

Thanks once again,this is the car as it is modelled but at Kyalami it ran in practice without the 'high'edges to the ducts on top of the rear arches,these appeared in time for the race and I had always presumed that the were added to try and extract more air from the side mounted radiators in what was a hot time in South Africa?It is surprising to see them in your most recent photo therefore and despite all other aspects being the same Gunze did not add thes to the model!The Kyalami car did not have the roof mounted aerial either.I apologise for assuming that the photos were taken more recently, this was largely due to the fantastic quality of them,I presumed they were taken with digital equipment!! Once again I appreciate all you efforts.I am usually a Porsche/BMW''expert''and so need as much help on the Nissan's as I can get.This is a model I always wanted to do since '82. You do not by any chance have a complete picture of the Auto Bureaux Group 5 BMW M1 which can be seen in one of the pictures do you?
Old 30 Jan 2008, 11:22 (Ref:2116950)   #11
PZR
Racer

Japan
London, UK.
Quote:
You do not by any chance have a complete picture of the Auto Bureaux Group 5 BMW M1 which can be seen in one of the pictures do you?
'Auto Beaurex' Panasport-sponsored Group 5 BMW M1 - winner of the Fuji 1000km race, July 1982 ( Fumiyasu SATO / Naoki NAGASAKA ):

'Auto Beaurex' Seelex / Racing Mate-sponsored Group 5 BMW M1 - fourth overall at 'Oct. 82 WEC Fuji 6hrs round ( Fumiyasu SATO / Naoki NAGASAKA):

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
PZR, do you happen to know how the S110 and S12 (Silvia) Super Silhouettes fit into this timeline too?
'Central 20' had an S110-series Silvia-based Group 5 car in 1981 as far as I remember off the top of my head, but I'll have to go back to the race reports for that period to give myself a refresher course, as I don't remember the proper timeline for these cars. I think Nissan's arch rivals Toyota were somewhat ahead in the early days of Gr.5 in Japan, and those boxy models did look very similar...... Maybe a good topic for another thread?

I do love the somewhat 'underdog' nature of some of these Japanese domestic-built cars, and the fact that they went up against some of Europe's finest as well as the IMSA cars in such diverse fields is of great interest in retrospect. Happy days.
Old 31 Jan 2008, 09:12 (Ref:2117595)   #12
ian beckett
Racer

Thanks ever so much for the M1 pictures,they have just filled a glaring hole in my M1 collection. I hope you are able to come up with more on the Nissans,once again THANKS!!
Old 27 Jul 2016, 23:19 (Ref:3661548)   #13
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Waking up this thread after a six year sleep!...

I too am looking for a model of the #14 Hobbs / Hasemi / Pond entry in the 1982 Castrol 9 Hours at Kyalami, but a 1/43 scale version instead - I gather Ebro have produced one in the past, so now it's just a case of finding one.

Can anybody confirm if Tony Pond actually drove this car during the race though?

I know he appeared on the Entry List, but as in so many other sportscar racing examples, there are occasionally drivers entered but never actually ended up driving the car, ie due to a late change, due to retirement before their first stint, etc.
Old 27 Jul 2016, 23:55 (Ref:3661553)   #14
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
A few photos for your guilty pleasures...

Old 27 Jul 2016, 23:58 (Ref:3661554)   #15
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
And some more...
Attached Thumbnails
82kyalami1.jpg   82kyalami2.jpg   10186170a.jpg