Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 5 Dec 2010, 19:02 (Ref:2800052)   #1
Col du Turini
Rookie

Col du Turini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Col du Turini's tracks

A collection of my various modifications and tracks.

Mount Panorama (Short)

A design for a short Bathurst track, Grade 2 FIA, to hold sprint events of V8 Supercars, Junior formulae, testing and motorbike racing. This layout allows the large pit complex to be in use for more of the year, as well as adding another track to Australia's stable.

After the simple 90 left of Holden curve, the track leads to a very fast Ford Curve, almost flat out for the V8s. A chicane is at this corner for motorbikes. This leads to the double left of Brock's and Reentry. These are two challenging corners, with Reentry slower than Brock's. The track then rejoins the full Bathurst 1000 track.

Durban

A redesign of the A1GP street track, designed for World GT1, or a South African Grand Prix. Fast, wide flatout sections conflict with slow, narrow block changes, making this a challenging layout. Has the City itself, the Ocean and the Moses Mahbida Stadium (from the World Cup) as a backdrop.

The track uses a parking lot as a area for the pits and paddock, allowing the city to remain reasonably unhindered by the track.

Hockenheim (redesign pre 2002)

The lack of a post 2002 Hockenheim on Google Earth inspired me to create this. A redesign of Hockenheim that could have been. While saving vast quantities of Forest, the track is shortened, while still keeping its flat out sections.

The track uses the post 2002 design for the Nord Kurve, before accelerating towards where the Jim Clark Chicane lies. Instead of a chicane, a tight right hairpin, before a steep climb uphill, with the apex of Ayrton Senna Kurve on the brow of the hill, before dropping and bottoming out at the apex of Parabolica, before climbing again through the exit of Parabolica and the first left of Ost Kurve, before dropping steadily through the tight right of Ost Kurve.

This middle section, full of elevation, is lined by grassed banks for spectators, allowing them a expansive view over the middle section of the circuit.

The flat out straight from Ost Kurve into the tight hairpin of Mobilkom promotes overtaking. The next section through the huge Mercedes Arena, is designed to encourage mistakes from drivers with challenging camber and weird corner radii. The stadium design, along with the Hotel makes the atmosphere in the arena electrifying. The short track rejoins the main track in the arena, after diving underneath the grandstand, ala Zandvoort and Abu Dhabi. A final fast, banked Sud Kurve finishes the lap.

Yas Marina

Finally, my redesign of Yas Marina. A simple change, making the corkscrew at Turn 4 steeper, with the hill bottoming out at Turn 5. My most recent track with all the alternate layouts, pitlanes and runoff areas present. No corner names yet though.

BTW, I added several alternate layouts, in the hope that they would be usable for motorbikes. Given that Abu Dhabi fancy a Moto GP race, what would be the best layout?

Hope you like my tracks!
Attached Thumbnails
bathurst.jpg   durban.jpg   hockenheim.jpg  

yas marina.jpg  
Old 5 Dec 2010, 21:41 (Ref:2800110)   #2
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I particularly like what you have done with Durban. The changes to the back straioght at Yas Marina are interesting to. Hockenheim I am not yet sure about.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 21:59 (Ref:2800572)   #3
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col du Turini View Post
BTW, I added several alternate layouts, in the hope that they would be usable for motorbikes. Given that Abu Dhabi fancy a Moto GP race, what would be the best layout?
That Sir, is quite a topic itself!
Old 7 Dec 2010, 00:23 (Ref:2800641)   #4
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col du Turini View Post
A collection of my various modifications and tracks.

Well, I may be sticking my neck out here but the GP circuit is too long, especially for 125's if they were at the same meeting.

That would restrict you to one of the two shorter circuits with a few alternatives and it would avoid the concrete canyons of the marina section.
I think you could use the short circuit (green cut through) or the medium circuit.
The medium one, same parts as F1 with the addition of the extra S, elimination of the f1 cicane but add the back straight chicane into it.
Some bike riders may consider the hairpin too harsh for run off at that speed so you could use the F1 chicane (orange) before it but in that case I may drop the second S bend so the chicane becomes a harder braking point.

LuiggiSpeed will have better persectives on the suitability of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Yas-Marina-MotoCircuit 1.jpg  

Last edited by Teretonga; 7 Dec 2010 at 00:28.
Old 7 Dec 2010, 09:17 (Ref:2800745)   #5
Col du Turini
Rookie

BTW, the pink line at Yas Marina is the F1 layout. Yellow lines are the other layouts.

Teretonga and LuiggiSpeed, what do you think of this below. The Orange line would be the Moto GP layout, with maybe the barriers moved back a bit at Turn 6/7? Welcome to changes and critisism, for both Yas Marina, and all the tracks.
Attached Thumbnails
untitled2.jpg  
Old 8 Dec 2010, 09:54 (Ref:2801271)   #6
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, given that 125's go the full distance at Sepang or Shanghai, I don't think Abu Dhabi would be outrageously long...

bio
Old 8 Dec 2010, 09:56 (Ref:2801274)   #7
bio
Veteran

Hungary
As for the track modifications, I like them. Especially Durban, but the others are good also. (Maybe I wouldn't put such a sharp hairpin after the main straight at Hockenheim, but it's only a maybe...)

bio
Old 8 Dec 2010, 21:21 (Ref:2801676)   #8
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
Well, given that 125's go the full distance at Sepang or Shanghai, I don't think Abu Dhabi would be outrageously long...

bio
yeah but Yas Marina's F1 circuit is 5.5 miles long and thats only 19 laps for a 100 mile race....
It would be better to concentrate the spectators into the shorter area and avoids the concrete canyons of the marina development. Better for bikes (and their riders...)
Old 8 Dec 2010, 23:19 (Ref:2801736)   #9
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
No, the full Yas Marina Circuit, as used by F1, is 3.451 miles (5.554km). That makes it only marginally longer than either Shanghai or Sepang.

Spa-Francorchamps is still the longest circuit currently in F1, at 4.352 miles (7.004km).
Old 8 Dec 2010, 23:20 (Ref:2801737)   #10
bio
Veteran

Hungary
You mean 5.5 km?

bio
Old 9 Dec 2010, 03:59 (Ref:2801803)   #11
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a FIM GP race is supposed to be 100K 125's are shorter but not by much.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 10:19 (Ref:2801896)   #12
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiggiSpeed View Post
a FIM GP race is supposed to be 100K 125's are shorter but not by much.
Luiggi, Luiggi... You're talking about FIM as if you knew its boss... :P

bio
Old 9 Dec 2010, 10:47 (Ref:2801917)   #13
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
You mean 5.5 km?

bio
Sorry guys, you are correct, but its still only 19 laps for a 100 km race Moto race(105km) so the spectators don't really get a good deal.

I also mad ethe decision on the increased cost of running the full course(marshals etc), and to avoid the concrete canyon around the marina.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 22:04 (Ref:2802193)   #14
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Well, 19 laps for a 250 cc race is quite normal, I'd say...

bio
Old 14 Apr 2011, 16:51 (Ref:2863354)   #15
Col du Turini
Rookie

Haven't been on here for a while. Been working on a mammoth track!

Today I present the project that I have been working on - the massive "Driving Park". Unfortunately, its still WIP...

Driving Park

Driving park is a haven for car and bike enthusiasts, located in a secluded bowl shaped valley deep in the Japanese mountains. Based on the "driving park" concept featured in Gran Turismo, the concept is taken much further to become a full scale driving resort for the most demanding of drivers and riders.

The facilities include several FIA and FIM sanctioned race tracks (talk about these in a minute), a 20km High speed test track (copy of Ehra-Lessien) crossing the valley by a large bridge, a 5km Touge/Hillclimb course, a Drift course, a 3km Wet Course, a 5km Gravel Rally stage, a large Skid Pan, a mile long drag strip, a 4X4 course, a 400m dirt oval and 2 Kart tracks, rated to CIK-FIA standards.

Other facilities include private garages, workshops, a museum, a race school, hotel & restaurant, 18 hole golf course and clubhouse, condonomiums and apartments overlooking the golf course and tracks, as well as a nature reserve.

The valley is private, and can only be accessed through a tunnel at one end of the bowl, ensuring privacy for car manufactures and residents alike.

> So what about the tracks?

There are 4 main tracks, a 2.5km speedway (based on Kansas Speedway), a 3.8km "beginner course" as a infield road course for the Speedway, a 15km (3.8+11.2) Intermediate course taking corners of the world's most demanding circuits and turning them into a demanding race track, and finally a 38km (3.8+11.2+23) Expert course, a fast, narrow winding course travelling through the pine forests at the base of the valley; one of the longest and most arduous courses known to man.

All tracks have separate paddock and pits facilities, and can be run independently.

--

Due to the scale of the design, I have only modelled the Beginner course in great detail, but I have textual descriptions for the Beginner, Intermediate and a quarter of the Expert course.

The two street views of the Speedway and Beginner Course, are from Turn 1 stands, and Turn 4 stands. The circuit is CCW, and measures 3.8km.

Please comment, and take note that is still WIP, and contributions on how to improve would be appreciated.

Thanks!
CDT
Attached Thumbnails
Screen shot 2011-04-14 at 17.46.27.jpg   Screen shot 2011-04-14 at 17.47.22.png   Screen shot 2011-04-14 at 17.47.53.png  

Attached Files
File Type: txt Courses.txt (6.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Col du Turini; 14 Apr 2011 at 16:58.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 21:55 (Ref:2863481)   #16
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Presumably you intend to have the Roval raced on, as well as a testing ground. If so where is your standing start grid ?
Old 15 Apr 2011, 09:27 (Ref:2863635)   #17
Col du Turini
Rookie

The S/F line is on the Speedway S/F, but standing starts can take place either on the banking, or from the pitlane (ala Daytona 200). The banking is shallow (as with other cookie cutter tracks), so starting starts wouldn't be a problem.

If a series didn't want to use the Speedway/Beginner Roadcourse pit and paddock, they could always use the Intermediate pits and paddock, which has a normal pit straightaway.
Old 15 Apr 2011, 22:26 (Ref:2864007)   #18
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Also, if you have a wide apron around the inside of the tri-oval, you can do a standing start there on the flat.
Old 16 Apr 2011, 09:21 (Ref:2864187)   #19
Col du Turini
Rookie

Yeah, there is a tarmac backstretch apron.

The Intermediate course rejoining the roval enter steeply uphill into a tight hairpin left (like a reversed Remus at A1-Ring). Is the Runoff sufficient or not? The cars/bikes will enter the infield through a tunnel under the Speedway, and would be going reasonably fast.