Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 20 Sep 2006, 07:19 (Ref:1726589)   #26
Beatcha
Racer

Australia
Beatcha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkmarshall
The 72 Bathurst winner, the Torana XU1 going around now is that a replica or the real deal, just looked @ ebay this guy is selling what he says is the rear left hand quarter panel the only part left of the 72 winner, he says this car was destroyed in QLD & was bought back to Melbourne to be stripped & then cut up for scrap.
He also says it's not colin bonds panel. It's Item No 13002641705
I'm confused, it looks real but don't know if it is, it's before my time.
Seems it has been removed, too many people cashing in, I have a bit of Brock stuff and i will never get rid of it!

From Ebay
This listing (13002641705) has been removed or is no longer available
Old 20 Sep 2006, 07:42 (Ref:1726590)   #27
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Provided it is made well aware they are replica's, i think they should be allowed to be apart of it.

Be nice if they just include alot of Brock cars, as opposed to just the winners.

Which 1984 winning '#05' are they going to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techo
Bathrust car 75' ?fixed? I've been told the 75' car is in victoria
According to an AMC article a while back, it mentioned the '75 winner was gone for good.

I was of the impression that the '72 winner was still around, the Bond team car a replica of course (they were both together at the Norwell Torana Nationals a few years back)
Old 20 Sep 2006, 09:27 (Ref:1726591)   #28
SkaifeHRT
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Victoria Australia
SkaifeHRT has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Does anyone know what happened to some of the other Brock cars? For example, the '83 and '87 #05 Bathurst cars, the ones he started the race in those years?
Old 20 Sep 2006, 11:45 (Ref:1726592)   #29
A9X05
Racer

A9X05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaifeHRT
Does anyone know what happened to some of the other Brock cars? For example, the '83 and '87 #05 Bathurst cars, the ones he started the race in those years?
The 1982 (05 winner) became the 83 (no 25 winner) but the car is now back into its 82 no 05 warpaint and I believe Peter Champion now owns it and maybe the 1987 05 car ??
Old 20 Sep 2006, 12:02 (Ref:1726593)   #30
A9X05
Racer

A9X05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Provided it is made well aware they are replica's, i think they should be allowed to be apart of it.

Be nice if they just include alot of Brock cars, as opposed to just the winners.

Which 1984 winning '#05' are they going to use

According to an AMC article a while back, it mentioned the '75 winner was gone for good.

I was of the impression that the '72 winner was still around, the Bond team car a replica of course (they were both together at the Norwell Torana Nationals a few years back)
I also was at the Torana Nats and that Brock 28C car was well documented as being the real deal as being the original 28C car! Its a shame it runs a Group C side exhaust and wheels from Group C though, I would much rather it was as per 1972 Series Production rules!
The 24C Bond replicar was a nice car, the story I heard is that Harry Firth supplied some of the original stickers for that car! Its here in Brisbane.

There appeared to be a excellent 28C replicar at Bathurst yesterday it had the original globe 6 inch wheels on it ! It great to see replicars as long as they dont try to pass them off as the real thing! I havent a problem!
Old 20 Sep 2006, 12:48 (Ref:1726594)   #31
SkaifeHRT
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Victoria Australia
SkaifeHRT has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ok, thanks for that, how about the '83 05 car, the one that blew an engine?

I agree with what has been said earlier, it would be nice to see as many Brock cars as can be located, not just the winners.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 13:37 (Ref:1726595)   #32
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaifeHRT
how about the '83 05 car, the one that blew an engine?
That was converted into the '84 machine wasn't it?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 20 Sep 2006, 16:43 (Ref:1726596)   #33
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both the 1984 Marlboro 'Day-glo' VK Commodore's used at Bathurst were brand new cars

The 1983 #05 VH Commodore from Bathurst was used by the team in the 1984 ATCC for Brock & John Harvey (Harvey filled in when Brock raced the Team Australia Porsche at Silverstone & Le Mans). The car also appeared in the opening two Endurance Championship rounds at Amaroo (where Brock crashed on pit entry) and at Oran Park (where Harvey & David Parsons did the driving). Not sure what happened to the car after this.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 00:04 (Ref:1726597)   #34
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found out about the 88 BMW last night. It was in NZ and still painted in Mobil colours, however it is now planned to be brought back to Australia and returned to JPS colours (as it ran in 87) and run in a few historic Group A events.
That may sound like sacrilege to some, but when you find out who the new owner is it makes more sense: Jim Richards besides the car didn't have 88 Bathurst as one of its highlights.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 00:12 (Ref:1726598)   #35
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift
Found out about the 88 BMW last night. It was in NZ and still painted in Mobil colours, however it is now planned to be brought back to Australia and returned to JPS colours (as it ran in 87) and run in a few historic Group A events.
That may sound like sacrilege to some, but when you find out who the new owner is it makes more sense: Jim Richards besides the car didn't have 88 Bathurst as one of its highlights.
Which of the 3 Mobil BMWs is coming back?

They each had a different nose colour... Cromley's was red, JR's was black and Brock's was white....

It is still a pretty paint scheme (or more accurately sticker scheme) after all these years, although there dont seem to be many pictures of the car around of the BMW.... in living colour anyway!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 21 Sep 2006, 00:34 (Ref:1726599)   #36
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
According to the new owner it was Brock's Bathurst car, but his 87 car, I guess he was should know. Didn't Crompton race with Brock that year?
IIRC it was only the grill that was different, maybe the headlights as well... The paint itself was all the same
Old 21 Sep 2006, 00:39 (Ref:1726600)   #37
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
Here is a pichttp://www.brock05.com/bmw.html
Old 21 Sep 2006, 04:02 (Ref:1726601)   #38
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
According to the new owner it was Brock's Bathurst car, but his 87 car, I guess he was should know. Didn't Crompton race with Brock that year?
IIRC it was only the grill that was different, maybe the headlights as well... The paint itself was all the same
Richo drove both cars at Bathurst, although entered with PB in the lead car...
they made the switch after the #56 car was about to blow its BMW Motorsport engine....

...he lead car also had the racecam in the headlight as well, which cost the team 40kg in weight... but did wonders for the RaceCam technology when Cromley was in the BMW (he switched from the 2nd car to the lead car during the race)... and if I recally rightly asked his famous teamowner where he had been hiding the #56 car all weekend (with its 6 speed box, freshly tweaked engine etc... a mile in front of the other one...)

It is still a nice design, and fits the tricolour BMW Motorsport colouring as well
Old 21 Sep 2006, 04:44 (Ref:1726602)   #39
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86VK
The 85 car was running around as a 'walkinshaw' and after a number of prangs creasing the floor is basically worthless. My understanding of the 86 car owned by Peter Champion is that was one of the Spa 24 hr cars. The 86 Bathurst car is owned by my mate and I, and sits in his garage. It was converted in 87 to a VL and raced by Brock in the opening rounds, then Sandown by Crompton, then was the display car at Bathurst that year. We had decided to convert it back to as raced by Brock and Moffat but haven't gotten around to it yet. He had autographed the transmission tunnel in the interior and we were going to just get him to redo it once we had finished. Lucky we hadn't stripped it yet.... We had also decided that after we convert it we will sell it but will now delay that as we would be accused of 'cashing in' on the great man.
There's a few people out there trying to cash in, have seen the prices in one model shop change over the last couple of weeks.

After reading this post about a hundred times, would it be safe for me to say that the car you have is currently a "VL" but started out as a VK??

Drop us a line if you ever want to sell the car, as I know a VK/VL lover and they would probably want to add it to there collection.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 05:03 (Ref:1726603)   #40
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I thought Garry Scott wrote off the 1986 Bathurst #05 in a testing accident during 1987? Or is this the car in question?
Old 21 Sep 2006, 08:06 (Ref:1726604)   #41
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Re: Brock BMWs - Weren't the two M3's that went to the Mobil team in 1988 the last two cars (basically brand new) built by JPS Team BMW in 1987?

If that is so, when did Jim drive either in 1987. At Bathurst in 1987, JPS Team BMW took 3 cars;

#44 for Richards/Longhurst - a car debuted by Richards at an AMSCAR round earlier in the year (to replace his original 1987 car that went to Archibald Motorsport)

#45 for Finaur/Francevic - A brand new car for Bathurst

Plus a spare car which was brand new - This car 'became' the #46 car for Ravaglia/Pirro after their car was crashed in practice.

At Calder a week later (the final appearance for JPS Team BMW) they ran just one car for Richards/Longhurst, presumebly #44 from Bathurst. The #45 & spare cars from Bathurst were what i thought went to Brock/Mobil in 1988.

In 1988 Neil Crompton drove firstly Peter's car (re-numbered #7) alongside Jim at the first AMSCAR round, and at another round drove Jim's car (re-numbered #7) alongside Brock at another.

At the Amaroo ATCC round they fronted with a third car for Crompton (as mentioned with a red grill), Peter McKay mentioning in the commentary that the car was one of the old JPS cars.

And then at the Adelaide AGP race at the end of the year, Richards drove Crompton's car (red grill) re-numbered as #1.

What does that all mean, probably not much, but interesting reading nonetheless
Old 21 Sep 2006, 12:55 (Ref:1726605)   #42
vkracer
Rookie

vkracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
I thought Garry Scott wrote off the 1986 Bathurst #05 in a testing accident during 1987? Or is this the car in question?
I was under the same thoughts that Garry wrote the car off
Old 21 Sep 2006, 13:02 (Ref:1726606)   #43
vkracer
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86VK
The 85 car was running around as a 'walkinshaw' and after a number of prangs creasing the floor is basically worthless. My understanding of the 86 car owned by Peter Champion is that was one of the Spa 24 hr cars. The 86 Bathurst car is owned by my mate and I, and sits in his garage. It was converted in 87 to a VL and raced by Brock in the opening rounds, then Sandown by Crompton, then was the display car at Bathurst that year. We had decided to convert it back to as raced by Brock and Moffat but haven't gotten around to it yet. He had autographed the transmission tunnel in the interior and we were going to just get him to redo it once we had finished. Lucky we hadn't stripped it yet.... We had also decided that after we convert it we will sell it but will now delay that as we would be accused of 'cashing in' on the great man.

The 1986 car that is owned by Champion is one of the 85 cars and was bought by graham moore in early 1986, pictured below

the 85 car that was converted to a walkinshaw was that the pink black and grey car that now resides in Melbourne.

and can anyone give me some more history on John Farrells ex HDT Car that is a VK-VL update, VL in VK mobil colours

Old 22 Sep 2006, 05:30 (Ref:1726607)   #44
Adrian B
Rookie

Adrian B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many Group A M3's did JPS build? It looks like 4 based on racer69's post above.
Does anyone know if Frank Gardner built the later Benson & Hedges/Diet Coke cars or were they BMW Motorsport built? In particular the bodyshells.Thanks.
Old 22 Sep 2006, 05:52 (Ref:1726608)   #45
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I would like to think he will find room for an "05-88" sticker, or something along those lines.
Old 22 Sep 2006, 06:11 (Ref:1726609)   #46
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian B
How many Group A M3's did JPS build? It looks like 4 based on racer69's post above.
Does anyone know if Frank Gardner built the later Benson & Hedges/Diet Coke cars or were they BMW Motorsport built? In particular the bodyshells.Thanks.
6.. we think...
- 2 went to NZ (one is now back in Mr Towe's hands)... one of these had Captain Peter Janson finish 4th at Bathurst in 1988 in it... the other had V8 development series rookie Kayne Scott aboard.... (A & B)
- 4 were at Bathurst in 1987 for JPS BMW (C, D, E & F)
- 3 if the 4 JPS BMW cars went to Mobil 1 Racing (Brock) (D, E, F), one stayed at BMW HQ as a display car... (C) It was said that Mr Finauer amongst others were trying to borrow this car to run at Bathurst in 1988, but couldnt find the budget....
- 2 of the 4 JPS cars became BMW Art Cars, with Ken Done & Albert Namatajira expressing their artistic talents on them (C & D)
- 2 of the 4 JPS cars (E & F) ended up with Peter Doulman and John Cotter. They ran as 2.3L spec for a number of seasons, one Bathurst attempt at a 2.5L spec... and a later 2L Supertourer coversion saw one of them win the 1988 2 Litre Australian Touring Car Championship!
- E & F were onsold to Bob Holden/Paul Nelson/Justin Matthews to run in the 2 litre series....

So 1 of them is with Mr Towe, two are in the BMW Art Car exhibition, the other three are somewhere around...
Old 22 Sep 2006, 06:22 (Ref:1726610)   #47
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian B

IIRC, the later 'EVO' M3's were German buit, beautiful cars...
Old 22 Sep 2006, 06:35 (Ref:1726611)   #48
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkracer
The 1986 car that is owned by Champion is one of the 85 cars and was bought by graham moore in early 1986, pictured below

the 85 car that was converted to a walkinshaw was that the pink black and grey car that now resides in Melbourne.

and can anyone give me some more history on John Farrells ex HDT Car that is a VK-VL update, VL in VK mobil colours

The Moore car is actually one of the very (if not, the) first HDT Gp A VK built.

Could the Farrell VL actually be ine of the '86 HDT VK's?

Interestingly in that photo is the blue & white Gerald Kay VK, which was a HDT customer car...

The pink car you speak of - do you mean the ex Slako VL Walky?
Old 22 Sep 2006, 06:52 (Ref:1726612)   #49
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan
The Moore car is actually one of the very (if not, the) first HDT Gp A VK built.
It is also the very sam ecar that Allan Moffat drove at Bathurst for Channel 7 in 1985 in MHDT colours isnt it??
Old 22 Sep 2006, 07:16 (Ref:1726613)   #50
vkracer
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan

Could the Farrell VL actually be ine of the '86 HDT VK's?

Interestingly in that photo is the blue & white Gerald Kay VK, which was a HDT customer car...

The pink car you speak of - do you mean the ex Slako VL Walky?
no i don't believe that it was one of the slako cars, when it was purchased from WA and brought to Melbourne it had a Walkinshaw body kit on it and the colour scheme was like the 1988 HSV cars but was pink instead of Red.

The Gerald Kay car still has all of it's HDT build papers and photo's from when HDT built it back in 1985