Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 17 Oct 2007, 09:28 (Ref:2042473)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What's a good first car?

It's about that time when I can start driving on my own (be afraid... ), and I'm slowly convincing my parents to loan me money for a first car.

I've got roughly $3000AUD to spend, and I'm looking for something with four doors. What can anyone suggest? I've been looking at hatchbacks like an late 80s/ early 90s Nissan Pulsar or Toyota Corolla, but I'm open to new options.

Just remember, I'm in Australia and we don't get all the cars you Europeans get!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 17 Oct 2007, 10:46 (Ref:2042528)   #2
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Something for which you can afford the insurance...you might end up paying more for that than for the car.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 12:58 (Ref:2042649)   #3
Adri_tifosi
Veteran

Spain
Jerez
Adri_tifosi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota is a good option in reliability terms , very important in the first car when you has a small budget
Old 17 Oct 2007, 14:17 (Ref:2042718)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Get something crap that constantly breaks down and is held together with string and tape. That way when you buy your next car it'll seem like luxury people that haven't driven a shed really don't appreciate their cars properly.

More seriously - reliable and common are good (that way it's not too likely to die and there's plenty in the breakers if you need bits).
Old 17 Oct 2007, 15:40 (Ref:2042765)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, my shed was superb - wouldn't go above 45mph which was great on the motorway, really safe! oh, and when the windscreen wipers came off mid-storm a couple of times, that was really safe too...
moral of the story? ban people in sheds from motorways
Old 17 Oct 2007, 15:53 (Ref:2042780)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
yeah, my shed was superb - wouldn't go above 45mph which was great on the motorway, really safe! oh, and when the windscreen wipers came off mid-storm a couple of times, that was really safe too...
moral of the story? ban people in sheds from motorways
My wipers failed (drivers side anyway) and the wing mirror fell off on the motorway Drove back from Birmingham with the timing chain chewing it's way through the engine casing too (if I kept the revs up the rattling stopped ). Obviously by the time I got home it had vomited most of its oil out. Got the casing welded up, new timing chain and off we go again.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 16:40 (Ref:2042821)   #7
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL ! that reminds me of my first car !
Coming back from Hogmanay in Edinburgh's back to Birmingham with just under 2 litres of oil. Filled the oil back up ran fine until I got me a new car. I love sheds in away for that.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 01:08 (Ref:2044122)   #8
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you have $3k to spend, look for something closer to $2k so you have some over to fix any "issues" that arise.

Personally for a cheap first car I would look at an early-mid 80's rwd Japanese car (eg Bluebird/Corona/Sigma/626) if you can find a mint one, no CV joints to replace & cheap parts in general if you need them. Along the same lines look at an R31 Skyline/Pintara, also Magnas offer good value but only a top car. Something like the fwd Nissan Pintara (or Ford equiv) that are pretty well ignored. You are better looking at a very good version of a cheaper car than the cheapest available of a better car. Apart from making sure the car suits your needs, condition & the previous owner/s having looked after it well are more important than what it is.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 12:26 (Ref:2044486)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
You are better looking at a very good version of a cheaper car than the cheapest available of a better car. Apart from making sure the car suits your needs, condition & the previous owner/s having looked after it well are more important than what it is.
Very good advice there.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 23:23 (Ref:2045033)   #10
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Reply

Also, be aware that you WILL probably be involved in an accident of some description during your first year of driving. The "Automotive Gods" have decreed that.

You will in all probability be an innocent "crashee" and there will be absolutely nothing you or anyone else could have done to avoid it other than staying home that day.

Value your 1st car with that in mind and good luck.

Old 22 Oct 2007, 11:08 (Ref:2047701)   #11
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first car was only a few years ago, a one owner 100,000km 1987 Ford Laser manual that was reliable, predictable and (importantly!) underpowered. It was fun until I got t-boned, and it was written off.

I then replaced it for $2500 (I'm still at uni) with a VS Commodore (1996, but 300,000km) with IRS, ABS, and Airbags. Still had bruises from the crash when I bought it, so safety was kinda high on the priority list.

You can't kill Corollas, but avoid the 80's 16v twin cam as it's like;y to have been thrashed for 200,000km. What I'd recommend now issomething reliable that you can hustle on occaision without it trying to kill you.

The Laser was great. Parts are seriously cheap and (if a/c was originally fitted) you can get chilly air and an OK Cd stereo setup for under $500.
Old 23 Oct 2007, 07:52 (Ref:2048710)   #12
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I disagree with the Toyota thing**, I find they are overpriced when compared to an equivalent alternative, so for the $3000 you get a VGC early/mid 90 Lancer/Laser/what ever, or a shagged Corolla of the same vintage or a VGC Corolla from 5 years earlier, it is a lose lose situation as far as I am concerned. Plus the cynic's at the Marketing department generally didn't equip the Toy's as well as the competitors as they traded on the badge, so where "some" competitors may have limited modern safety feature single airbag, ABS there is no way you will get it on the Corolla.

The other rational thing to do is buy an "old person" car. For want of a better example Mazda 323 are young and in demand, especially bright coloured hatched (chicks car), while a 626 is better spec'ed, better built and the same price because of the demand. Being old persons car (often a second family car) they are usually better maintained. At this price point the basic condition and maintenance is everything. So buy something un cool, you will get better value, also since it is uncool it is by definition the coolest thing you can get.

The other thing to do is throw caution to the wind, in 20, 30 even 50 years time you will not regret buying an odd ball. As long as they are well made in the first place and you don't mind getting your hands dirty (Labour to fix niggiling problems will kill you). Audi 100, SAAB 900, Benz 280E Old 528i, Even a Peugeot 505 or a Rover P6B YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! Don't discount the 240 Volvo's, remember, now very cool

Lastly remember that Insurance in Australia for 3rd party property is so cheap, so it is a no brainer for you, some companies even count it to a no claim discount on future Comp, or offer $3000 no fault coverage where the the other party can be named.

** the AU perspective here
Old 23 Oct 2007, 09:15 (Ref:2048792)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree with Notso Swift about the Toyota fallacy. A great number of owners seem to live on the Toyota reputation and choose not to service them early in life, and later in life... so that the $3,000 shiny bargain you have before you, has never seen the inside of a workshop.

And Toyota genuine spares prices can be eyewatering!

A CB Series Mitsubishi Lancer sedan would be very good buying at that price... from 1989-1992 or so... very economical with the 1.5 engine...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 23 Oct 2007, 11:04 (Ref:2048890)   #14
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree GTR- I have been thinking about perhaps looking into the late 80s/ early 90s Lancer, unfortunately, of the one's I've seen, they are out of my price range!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 23 Oct 2007, 11:11 (Ref:2048898)   #15
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A friend bought a KE Laser TX-3 in good condiiton for $2800. He's very happy with it.
Old 23 Oct 2007, 15:07 (Ref:2049256)   #16
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeh Corollas are really overpriced, moreso because it's a small car, all small cars are overpriced at the moment (and probably will continue to be) because of the fuel thing. It makes decent larger cars alot better value, even early-mid90s Camrys cost alot less then the equivalent Corolla, and will be better specced, have more room, and not use that much more fuel (providing it's the 4cyl, have heard the V6 can be pretty good on fuel, but it's not a crash hot engine for relability anyway).

My younger brother was trying to buy a similar car with a similar budget to yours earlier in the year, finding that most cars were alot poorer condition, either mechanically, or cosmetically, or both than the price would suggest, I was really hating going out and seeing these ****ters, but sometimes you'll just be at the right place at the right time and stumble on a bargain.

I ended up getting lucky, a wholesaler that does work with my work was storing some cars on our property, one was a N15 Pulsar, rang up wholesaler, he said $4k, so I could look/drive/check out on the hoist the car at my leisure, and it was pretty much mint. Easiest experience buying a car, everyone was happy, wholesaler didn't have to do any work, and my brother got a ~$5.5k car for alot less.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 24 Oct 2007, 06:48 (Ref:2049885)   #17
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll tell you now, get a car that you'll be happy to drive for a while. While owning a car its impossible to save (and its not me, i saved up 6g's before i had my license to get a car) while owning a car.

I would suggest getting the bike you want first, and not worrying about a car. Then you don't have those friends you never had before, you know the ones, 'take me down to macca's' or 'can you give me a lift to xx', with a bike, you don't have to take anyone.

If you do want a car, the R31 skyline/pintara is the go (or if you want to stick with holdens, get the VL)
I bought my VL off a mate for 1000. Such a bargain, as its good on fuel, and has a very reliable motor (only had to replace a power steering hose, and had the car for over 6 months now)

Benifits of a commodore is there are 1000s or places to get parts, and they aren't expensive. Any import (such as those toyota's) are much harder to get parts for, and wreckers can charge a ****load for them.

Last edited by STEALTHY; 24 Oct 2007 at 06:50.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 10:41 (Ref:2050063)   #18
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R31 over a Commodore, I had both many years ago, one has a semblance of quality control...
(just be aware of the diff, and panels are dearer)
Old 24 Oct 2007, 10:49 (Ref:2050069)   #19
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I had $3k to spend on a first car I'd buy a $500 car like a KE70 Corolla. Still fast enough to kill yourself in. Once you get over that stage then you can buy something a little cooler

If you don't have a job you'll appreciate the cheaper maintenance and fuel costs compared to a 6+ cylinder.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 11:43 (Ref:2050122)   #20
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
If I had $3k to spend on a first car I'd buy a $500 car like a KE70 Corolla. Still fast enough to kill yourself in. Once you get over that stage then you can buy something a little cooler

If you don't have a job you'll appreciate the cheaper maintenance and fuel costs compared to a 6+ cylinder.
Thats not entirely true.

My V8 is better on fuel than my 6cylinder. and the old carolla we had was about the same as the VL.

Chatters has the benifit of a head start regarding road safety, so i'm sure he wont be driving like a moron

The problem with buying a cheaper car first, is that you will be using the other money you had on maintainece (and i'm sure Josh will be racing down to autobahn for a sticker kit) so that other money will disappear pretty quickly.

If i could go back, i'd buy the car i have now first, and save all the money i wasted on other cars
Old 25 Oct 2007, 11:26 (Ref:2051020)   #21
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R31 is a good thing, I had 2, just sold the 2nd one a few weeks ago, it was stupid fast (VL turbo conversion) for so little money.

My next owner of my first one absolutely flogged it, and he said it never let him down, has now sold it after two years..

Just watch for:

Diffs are noisy as Notso Swift said, but they rarely break.
Look for rust at the bottom of the front 1/4 panels, on the roof and at the top of the front and rear windows.
Most suspension will probably be stuffed unless been repalced.
Pintara engine is junk, just as thirsty as an RB30 but slower and with more problems.
RB30 engines break exhaust studs and Crank angle sensors die at this age.
Series 3 (better front end) Auto trans aren't as good as the earlier ones, watch for a hard shift into 2nd gear, if it does it's stuffed.

that's the main things

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 25 Oct 2007, 11:29 (Ref:2051022)   #22
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stealthy - a cheap car does not automatically mean it needs lots of maintenance. A crap car is a crap car and if it's a lemon then there's nothing you can do about it!
Old 25 Oct 2007, 14:38 (Ref:2051150)   #23
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Stealthy - a cheap car does not automatically mean it needs lots of maintenance. A crap car is a crap car and if it's a lemon then there's nothing you can do about it!
In most cases you get what you pay for. I bought my current daily for $1000, and it is awesome, but i was mates with the old owner, so i knew the past 4 years maintainence history.
Having said that, my parents bought a Mitsubishi Starwagon Brandnew and that thing saw more k's on a tow truck than it did the road (and the defining moment of finally selling it was when dad got overtaken by a roadtrain, going 'up' a hill)

On another note, Assuming Josh is the same as i was at that age, he's going to want to change things around, suspension, wheels, stereo etc, all of which will use up more money, which is why i suggested getting a car your happy with first time around (rather than driving it into a tree like i did haha)

Also Josh, buy privatly, don't go to a dealer, as you will pay more, and get less (of a car)
Old 26 Oct 2007, 16:17 (Ref:2052130)   #24
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
My first car was a KE70 Corolla, but i paid $7,500. Then, i spent 18 grand on a VN Commodore, aaahhhh depreciation, the motorists's friend.
Old 27 Oct 2007, 06:37 (Ref:2052508)   #25
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY
Assuming Josh is the same as i was at that age, he's going to want to change things around, suspension, wheels, stereo etc,
Aww, you know me too well .